Sponsored

Routing of drain hose for tonneau cover

Cowboy Bill

Active Member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 28, 2026
Threads
9
Messages
31
Reaction score
65
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Platinum Explorer, 2023 Platinum Escape, soon 2026 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just installed the BAKflip MX-4 EZ lift tonneau cover on my 2026 Ranger, I pulled off the large plastic plug at the bottom of the bed on the driver's side (there is on on the passenger side also). Looks like there is insulation behind it. Any suggestions as to where to route the drain hoses. I thinking of drilling a hole about half way up on the corner of the bed.
CB
Sponsored

 

alloyz250

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT FX4
STOP! Put away the drill!

Sorry I am not near my truck right now to take a picture, but there are holes in the bedside that the plastic hose will easily insert. The downward angle of the hose isn't steep, but it flows water downhill. I'm a plumber, know a bit about downhill flow :thumbsup:
 

bgn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
110
Reaction score
178
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4

NOT_RAPTOR

Active Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
33
Reaction score
23
Location
Cleveland
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
I did not mount mine that way as I didn't like the idea of draining water into a place not exactly designed for it. The hoses also had to be fairly straight for a bit to get to that hole and I wanted something that drained more reliably. I was concerned about debris getting inside my bed sides where I couldn't clean them.

I drilled the two holes on each side where the rubber drain plugs here. They are covered by the bed spray, but they are the ovals down in the two bottom corners. These are rubber pieces designed to be drilled for drainage, you are not drilling your bed. I used a Christmas tree stepping bit to make the holes just barely big enough.

OP if you could use a photo of where these are I can post one.
 

Sponsored

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
139
Reaction score
210
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I drilled into those plastic plugs and routed it there. The insulation you are seeing, should only be on the left side. It could actually be removed. (There are numerous threads about that.). I left the insulation there and drilled right through it. The hoses drain fine. I tried the higher holes mentioned above, but IMO, they weren't steep enough and gravity couldn't do its job.
 

LeeHo

Well-Known Member
First Name
Lee
Joined
Jun 6, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
159
Reaction score
112
Location
Niles, Mi.
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ - Ranger Lariat w/2.7L Sport 4x4 Azure
I drilled into those plastic plugs and routed it there. The insulation you are seeing, should only be on the left side. It could actually be removed. (There are numerous threads about that.). I left the insulation there and drilled right through it. The hoses drain fine. I tried the higher holes mentioned above, but IMO, they weren't steep enough and gravity couldn't do its job.
Did mine the same way - but since I have a retractable it was my only choice.
Sponsored

 
 







Top