• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Shots Fired! 2024 Toyota Tacoma vs 2024 Ford Ranger Comparison by Toyota

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
I hear ya to each their own if ya want one, just don’t like the government trying to push it down everyone’s throats. Not for me though at this point. Only way I’d even consider it (never would) is if I had a legit overland rig I could see it coming in pretty useful.
You can absolutely look at it as the government pushing it down your throat.

I'd MUCH rather look at it as not sending my money to Saudi Arabia and to other countries that actively hate and plot against the US and Western civilization. Battery sourcing is definitely an issue at the moment, due to China being in the lead because we have been kicking and screaming all along the way, but there are several countries ripe for partnership (most notably Australia and Chile at the moment). There's also been major domestic breakthroughs (most notably in northern Nevada).

To me, it seems like a once in a lifetime economic opportunity for America to reaffirm its independence and resiliency, as opposed to being "forced" into something. Letting China dominate the global EV market is a recipe for disaster, much like the recent news about Japan attempting to buy US Steel. Selling our country down the river for shareholder benefit, IMO.

Anecdotally: One of my buddy's work vehicle (school-based police officer) is the hybrid F-150 with pro-power. Southeast Michigan had a WICKED freezing rain storm the year before last with a several-day power outage in his area. He literally cracked his garage door open and his F-150 would send its electricity to the house for about 2 hours, cycled on and idled for about 15 minutes to charge its smaller hybrid battery, then shut back off. He did that for ~4 days until power was restored.
Sponsored

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
You can absolutely look at it as the government pushing it down your throat.

I'd MUCH rather look at it as not sending my money to Saudi Arabia and to other countries that actively hate and plot against the US and Western civilization. Battery sourcing is definitely an issue at the moment, due to China being in the lead because we have been kicking and screaming all along the way, but there are several countries ripe for partnership (most notably Australia and Chile at the moment). There's also been major domestic breakthroughs (most notably in northern Nevada).

To me, it seems like a once in a lifetime economic opportunity for America to reaffirm its independence and resiliency, as opposed to being "forced" into something. Letting China dominate the global EV market is a recipe for disaster, much like the recent news about Japan attempting to buy US Steel. Selling our country down the river for shareholder benefit, IMO.

Anecdotally: One of my buddy's work vehicle (school-based police officer) is the hybrid F-150 with pro-power. Southeast Michigan had a WICKED freezing rain storm the year before last with a several-day power outage in his area. He literally cracked his garage door open and his F-150 would send its electricity to the house for about 2 hours, cycled on and idled for about 15 minutes to charge its smaller hybrid battery, then shut back off. He did that for ~4 days until power was restored.
Good points and well said! There’s benefits to it for sure I just can’t get over the whole government aspect probably more than anything. It’s just their way of easing us all into full electric someday in my eyes. Then our whole infrastructure isn’t even being close to setup for what they want to do. Pretty awesome with your buddy powering his house off that. If I was going that route I’d rather just have a generator setup of some kind but none the less impressive!

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
Good points and well said! There’s benefits to it for sure I just can’t get over the whole government aspect probably more than anything. It’s just their way of easing us all into full electric someday in my eyes. Then our whole infrastructure isn’t even being close to setup for what they want to do. Pretty awesome with your buddy powering his house off that. If I was going that route I’d rather just have a generator setup of some kind but none the less impressive!
I did somewhat of a deep-dive into the illusion of our infrastructure not being nearly close enough to a mostly-electric vehicle future over on the Maverick Truck Club forum.

The TL;DR of it is that we don't need nearly the push people think we do to get to where we need to be for that to be a reality. A 4% year-over-year improvement for a few years gets us there, that's all it takes. Obviously we need drastically more from a safety & stability and resiliency standpoint, but for "business as usual" to shift over it doesn't take much at all.

In regards to my buddy, he does have a generator but wanted to test the capability of it; and he determined that, unless he needs to power AC in the summer to stay cool, he liked the idea of having his truck occasionally idling while slightly ventilated in the garage as opposed to his noisy generator running nonstop outside his kitchen window.

Tomikaze

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Toyota Tacoma TRDOR / 04' Porsche Boxster S
Occupation
Automotive Software Sales
Love my 2021 Tacoma. But that new Tacoma interior looks like my 11yo designed it. Could they make the T A C O M A emblem over the glove box any LARGER?

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
These are both absolutely stunning and beautiful trucks.. however I think the key difference that would make me get the Tacoma would be the fact that they still have the manual transmission option.. I would love to go back to driving a manual any time…

other than that it would also have to do with my location.. the cost on maintenance and insurance cost that can be another deciding factor to getting a TRD or a Raptor

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So all those people on the forum who insisted that Toyota would have Tacomas on dealer lots by December and Ford was the only company that misses deadlines...

do you guys feel dumb yet? because december is just about over and there's not a single tacoma on dealer lots or in customer hands. surely you'll say the same things about Toyota that you said about Ford, right?

slobkrieg

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger, High XLT, FX4 ,adv tow
You got it man . The Rangers should be hitting the dealers by February .
See where the toilets , sorry I mean Toyota's are .

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
You got it man . The Rangers should be hitting the dealers by February .
See where the toilets , sorry I mean Toyota's are .
Yes, but the Rangers were supposed to hit the dealers in late August. Toyota just started manufacturing this month. Dealers are expecting them early next month. It's a completely different system. You can't order your specific vehicle and you get stuck with any accessories from the distributors (Toyota dealers get their cars through regional distributors) but they will come faster. It depends on what you want. At this point, I'll take either. My Ranger ordered 6/5 still isn't scheduled. My Toyota dealer is promising me the exact vehicle (through dealer trades) I want mid January. We'll see who actually can deliver.

slobkrieg

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger, High XLT, FX4 ,adv tow
Good luck . Looks like you have a decision to make . I could see why you could have a chapped ass with fords order process and the long lead time . Hope you stay with Ford and american made .
Don't come after me the toyota is built in the US . Where do the profits go . Another country .

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
Good luck . Looks like you have a decision to make . I could see why you could have a chapped ass with fords order process and the long lead time . Hope you stay with Ford and american made .
Don't come after me the toyota is built in the US . Where do the profits go . Another country .
Another country but Japan made is much much better than China made.. Toyota is top of the line in terms of reliability….. however it is true. All the trucks are made here in San Antonio.. so yeah most your money stays here in the US where some goes to Japan. I have no issues with this…

Sponsored

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Another country but Japan made is much much better than China made.. Toyota is top of the line in terms of reliability….. however it is true. All the trucks are made here in San Antonio.. so yeah most your money stays here in the US where some goes to Japan. I have no issues with this…
To be fair, the new Tacoma is made in Mexico. Of course, so are most of the parts in the new Ranger. Multi-Nationals move the money where they need it. I do always find it funny when people talk about buying American while putting French BF Goodrich K02s (Michelin) or Japanese Falken Wildpeak Tires on their new American Truck.

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
To be fair, the new Tacoma is made in Mexico. Of course, so are most of the parts in the new Ranger. Multi-Nationals move the money where they need it. I do always find it funny when people talk about buying American while putting French BF Goodrich K02s (Michelin) or Japanese Falken Wildpeak Tires on their new American Truck.
And to my knowledge… all makers have it where not all the parts are made in the US.. there will always be some that are made in other countries.. Ford included.. best is to just look at the window sticker when it arrives to see the percentage of parts that are made in Mexico

GypsyDaenger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150
Occupation
Electrician
These are both absolutely stunning and beautiful trucks.. however I think the key difference that would make me get the Tacoma would be the fact that they still have the manual transmission option.. I would love to go back to driving a manual any time…

other than that it would also have to do with my location.. the cost on maintenance and insurance cost that can be another deciding factor to getting a TRD or a Raptor
The MT peaked my interest as well but for how much driving tech you lose taking a MT it feels like the discount is pretty lacking. It is competitively priced next to a ranger, maybe 1k more trim for trim with packages but for me i get Aplan so it takes the Toyota out of the picture.

Sevokevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Occupation
LTL Truck driver
The MT peaked my interest as well but for how much driving tech you lose taking a MT it feels like the discount is pretty lacking. It is competitively priced next to a ranger, maybe 1k more trim for trim with packages but for me i get Aplan so it takes the Toyota out of the picture.
actually base on Toyotas website where you can build your truck.. you can still get almost ALL the same tech and features having a MT or a AT.. only thing I can see you won’t be able to use between the 2 transmissions is remote starts

in fact I made my own build if I wanted to switch to them

Ford Ranger Shots Fired! 2024 Toyota Tacoma vs 2024 Ford Ranger Comparison by Toyota 2023-12-24

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Not sure if you've seen this but I found it very interesting. Yes I know FORD is an American company but I was expecting them to be better.
https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2023/07...-the-most-american-trucks-might-surprise-you/
Sponsored