• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Shots Fired! 2024 Toyota Tacoma vs 2024 Ford Ranger Comparison by Toyota

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
It bothers me that Toyota says "There's no equivalent to Toyota's adaptive variable suspension" on the Ranger Raptor when the RR has Fox live valve and they are essentially the same system.
Seems disingenuous to say RR has no comparison to a proprietary Toyota system that is only different in name.
I'd go a step further and say the RRaptor's suspension is not the same, but better. Toyota's adjustable suspension is manually adjustable, meaning you have to walk around to each shock and turn the setting on it. Live valve is done automatically on the fly with the twist of a dial to change modes.

It also bothered me that they said Ranger doesn't have a heated steering wheel when we all know it does.
Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Wonder hhy did they felt the need to do this considering they already own the mid-size truck market?
That was kind of my thought. Seems laughable really.... Like... The ranger isn't anywhere close in sales but tacoma really felt like they needed to make this video and then skimp on details on the ranger side? Seems laughable.

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
That was kind of my thought. Seems laughable really.... Like... The ranger isn't anywhere close in sales but tacoma really felt like they needed to make this video and then skimp on details on the ranger side? Seems laughable.
Toyota knows their prices are ridiculous and are trying to justify it to the masses, especially before they release the hybrid prices (and make a bunch of people pass out lol).

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
I just think it's more of a tactic to keep the attention of potential Tacoma buyers who got slightly distracted by the Ranger release. It's their version of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." It's just more lip service and justification for the Tacoma crowd already considering the Tacoma. The Tacoma faithful already know what the Tacoma has and the Ranger group knows what the Ranger brings to the table but sometimes it helps to be reminded. True uninformed potential buyers will (hopefully) research each individually and (hopefully) come to an informed decision, or just base it on availability and get the first thing they can.

Sponsored

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
Just for fun, I used the build tool on the Toyota site to see what a similarly specced Tacoma would cost to the XLT I ordered. It was impossible to spec them exactly the same, but the Tacoma is definitely pricier.
Ford Ranger Shots Fired! 2024 Toyota Tacoma vs 2024 Ford Ranger Comparison by Toyota Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 16.31.37

I didn't order the Tech Package on my Ranger, but I included it here since the Tacoma has Adaptive Cruise standard. However, to get the things I definitely wanted on my order, I couldn't spec a Tacoma any less than this one, and still no rear locker or Trailer Assist. The Tacoma TRD Sport has an upgraded stereo, a heated wheel and coil springs, but I'm not sure that's worth almost $5000. The SR5 is closer in price, but doesn't spec comparably otherwise.

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
WTF was all that??? I mean, my FX4 is 80% more truck then I actually need.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Just for fun, I used the build tool on the Toyota site to see what a similarly specced Tacoma would cost to the XLT I ordered. It was impossible to spec them exactly the same, but the Tacoma is definitely pricier.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 16.31.37.png

I didn't order the Tech Package on my Ranger, but I included it here since the Tacoma has Adaptive Cruise standard. However, to get the things I definitely wanted on my order, I couldn't spec a Tacoma any less than this one, and still no rear locker or Trailer Assist. The Tacoma has an upgraded stereo and a heated wheel, but I'm not sure that's worth almost $5000.
thats what this video shows

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
thats what this video shows

That video is what inspired me to check. I felt the Ranger in his video is better specced than the Tacoma with a similar price. Jumping up a trim level on the Toyota evaporates the price similarity while matching some content and surpassing other things. The different trims make comparisons hard.

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Powerboost King Ranch, 2024 HPR Ranger Raptor
Main things I noticed:

FOX 2.5” Live Valve Internal Bypass Shock Absorbers
State-of-the-art internal bypass dampers adjust electronically up to 500 times a second, reacting
to the unfolding terrain and your driving style. Get ready for the off-road ride of your life.

Selectable Exhaust Modes
Control that Raptor rumble. Choose from Quiet, Normal, Sport or Baja2 exhaust modes. Select your own exhaust note and store your preferences with the My Mode button.

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It is hard to match up Trim - Trim. I really don't think the TRD Sport is a fair comparison to the XLT. I think you're more on par with an SR5. Similar equipment, not the same of course. If you upspec an SR5 you're at about the same money. Lariat and Limited are similar features, and again similar money. I suppose it depends on what's important to you. Tacoma's quality reputation and resale potential are always going to demand a little higher price.

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
It is hard to match up Trim - Trim. I really don't think the TRD Sport is a fair comparison to the XLT. I think you're more on par with an SR5. Similar equipment, not the same of course. If you upspec an SR5 you're at about the same money. Lariat and Limited are similar features, and again similar money. I suppose it depends on what's important to you. Tacoma's quality reputation and resale potential are always going to demand a little higher price.
Definitely tough. There's XLT high stuff that isn't available on an SR5 at all (power seats, large infotainment screen) and TRD Sport stuff that an XLT high can't get (better stereo sound, heated steering wheel.). Some Ford options can't be obtained on any Tacoma while some Toyota ones are no where to be found on a Ford. For my needs, I think I'm making the right choice with a Ranger. That won't be the same for everybody, I'm sure.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
who wants a hybrid truck I mean come on.
*Raises hand*

I absolutely want a hybrid truck. Insane torque numbers, increased ~20% (or better) fuel efficiency, hybrid also means pro-power on board for the worksite and for home emergencies, perfect setup for boondock camping, and if it is a plug-in hybrid with 25 miles of range or better that means my work commute should be 100% electric.

The caveat to all that is, of course, how much of a price premium it will call for. I would think anything in the ~10% range is reasonable to expect and be willing to pay for in a PHEV variant. Considering a Lariat 4x4 is $49k, if a Lariat 4x4 PHEV would be around $54k I think it would absolutely be worth the price premium. and could see a lot of people opting for it. A standard hybrid I would think the value proposition would be closer to ~7% or roughly a $3k price premium.

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
*Raises hand*

I absolutely want a hybrid truck. Insane torque numbers, increased ~20% (or better) fuel efficiency, hybrid also means pro-power on board for the worksite and for home emergencies, perfect setup for boondock camping, and if it is a plug-in hybrid with 25 miles of range or better that means my work commute should be 100% electric.

The caveat to all that is, of course, how much of a price premium it will call for. I would think anything in the ~10% range is reasonable to expect and be willing to pay for in a PHEV variant. Considering a Lariat 4x4 is $49k, if a Lariat 4x4 PHEV would be around $54k I think it would absolutely be worth the price premium. and could see a lot of people opting for it. A standard hybrid I would think the value proposition would be closer to ~7% or roughly a $3k price premium.
I hear ya to each their own if ya want one, just don’t like the government trying to push it down everyone’s throats. Not for me though at this point. Only way I’d even consider it (never would) is if I had a legit overland rig I could see it coming in pretty useful.
Sponsored