Sponsored

Skid Plate Options (Aluminum)

OddEntity

Active Member
Joined
May 31, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
28
Reaction score
51
Location
Burnaby, BC Canada
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Hey everyone,
What is currently the best aluminum skid plate option for an FX4?

I've found three options so far:
Questions:
  1. Is anyone aware of other options
  2. Does anyone have lived experience with any of these brands?
  3. Would any of these limit other mod options (lift kits/rock rails/etc...)?
Cheers!
Sponsored

 

MoBob

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 31, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
52
Reaction score
67
Location
Ofallon MO
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Raptor, 2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
RCI or Foutz have shown to be high quality.
 

DanielRayJ

Well-Known Member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Aug 3, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
48
Reaction score
25
Location
Highlands, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 FORD RANGER RAPTOR
Occupation
Retired
Hey everyone,
What is currently the best aluminum skid plate option for an FX4?

I've found three options so far:
Questions:
  1. Is anyone aware of other options
  2. Does anyone have lived experience with any of these brands?
  3. Would any of these limit other mod options (lift kits/rock rails/etc...)?
Cheers!
I want to make my own UHMW SKINS to put over the Factory skid plates. Best them up and then buy the best atm the new ones come out. If someone did this it would help promote the aftermarket innovation and be an alternative material to use. Anyone who has a router table could do it. I just will buy the raw material and add it to what I already have. Especially fun for those who like to fabricate and R&D their own ideas. What do you guys think?
Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) IMG_0777
 

DanielRayJ

Well-Known Member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Aug 3, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
48
Reaction score
25
Location
Highlands, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 FORD RANGER RAPTOR
Occupation
Retired
I could be wrong but I believe this is the type of plastic that Cutting Boards are made out of. Like Teflon maybe?????🤔
 

Sponsored

DutchRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Nov 16, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
226
Reaction score
336
Location
Austin
Vehicle(s)
24 ranger xlt fx4 2.7l
I use Rival on my fx4. So far they are holding up nicely, taken some hits from big rocks on Colorado tails.
 

purdyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2025
Threads
32
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
1,502
Location
california
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger Lariat
I could be wrong but I believe this is the type of plastic that Cutting Boards are made out of. Like Teflon maybe?????🤔
ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) polyethylene is very tough stuff and absorbs a lot of energy

you might find it in a cutting board

nowhere close to steel in strength, but not a bad idea as a skin on a steel plate
 

Sponsored

rocsteady

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Apr 10, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
495
Reaction score
729
Location
New Jersey
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Federal LEO
I have the full IAG setup and like everything about them. Were very well packaged for shipping, easy install, everything fit, customer support was great during the beta testing.

***Just looked back at the OP and saw was asking for an FX4.


Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181272594-i


From the center of the truck looking forward past the transmission skid:

Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181350529-dv


Rear of the fuel tank skid:

Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181382063-91


Side of the fuel tank skid:



Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181424102-n0




Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181455468-cy


Very noticeable improvement in not only the strength of the plates but the amount of coverage. Really notable from the factory transfer case plate to the IAG:

Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) 1788181555170-6y
 

ADVNTURR

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Threads
15
Messages
200
Reaction score
423
Location
Cleveland, OH
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 2.7L, '16 VW Golf R, '11 Nissan GT-R, '05 Nissan 350Z
I have the full Rival setup under my '24 XLT non-FX4 truck.
Ford Ranger Skid Plate Options (Aluminum) PXL_20250830_184539093


Mine haven't taken any hits yet, but they look good and are holding up well from a winter of salt exposure. I had a little bit of an issue with the radiator skid fitting with the oil pan skid (and all the other skids) that caused me to have to slot a hole a little bit.
 

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
135
Reaction score
209
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the full Rival setup under my '24 XLT non-FX4 truck.
PXL_20250830_184539093.webp


Mine haven't taken any hits yet, but they look good and are holding up well from a winter of salt exposure. I had a little bit of an issue with the radiator skid fitting with the oil pan skid (and all the other skids) that caused me to have to slot a hole a little bit.
I am considering getting the Rival engine skid plate for the sole purpose of making oil changes easier. I have the 2.3 engine. Have you changed your oil through the oil change port yet? I was just wondering if it can be done cleanly or if it gets on the backside of the skid plate. If it is messy, it would defeat the whole purpose of getting one for me.
 

ADVNTURR

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Threads
15
Messages
200
Reaction score
423
Location
Cleveland, OH
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 2.7L, '16 VW Golf R, '11 Nissan GT-R, '05 Nissan 350Z
I am considering getting the Rival engine skid plate for the sole purpose of making oil changes easier. I have the 2.3 engine. Have you changed your oil through the oil change port yet? I was just wondering if it can be done cleanly or if it gets on the backside of the skid plate. If it is messy, it would defeat the whole purpose of getting one for me.
I have the 2.7 in my truck and I have been using a vacuum extractor for my changes. My uneducated guess is that something like one of the ball valve drains would probably be a wise idea just because of the size & orientation of the drain, but maybe some others will chime in.
 

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
135
Reaction score
209
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the 2.7 in my truck and I have been using a vacuum extractor for my changes. My uneducated guess is that something like one of the ball valve drains would probably be a wise idea just because of the size & orientation of the drain, but maybe some others will chime in.
Thanks
Sponsored

 
 







Top