• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Softopper vs Tonneau Cover

Harrington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 2024 Ranger Raptor
Was thinking of getting either the Softopper or Bestop Supertop for my upcoming order. Has anyone here had any experience with either company, Pros/Cons for that vs using either a soft Tonneau cover or one of the hard tonneau covers.
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on how secure you want your cargo to be. Both can be defeated, but with a soft-top all it takes is a knife to slice it open.

Hard toppers require a bit more effort to break.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
That looks great. Seems like the best of both worlds. I have the folding cover on my 19 ranger and like it. But if this is as secure as it looks - should work as well as the folding cover.

The other option is the motorized roller - but I do not want to give us the space in the bed.

Sponsored

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
That looks great. Seems like the best of both worlds. I have the folding cover on my 19 ranger and like it. But if this is as secure as it looks - should work as well as the folding cover.

The other option is the motorized roller - but I do not want to give us the space in the bed.
someone did a youtube video showing how secure it is. Not as good as a tri fold but i'm not a fan of those since they block your view if you need to fold it up all the way.

edit....here’s the video @Rone28

Last edited:

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Looks really good. Some security concerns but saw a few other videos with nothing bad to say.

LoneStarCaviar

First Name
Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby Baja700 Raptor, 2018 Shelby Raptor
Occupation
Self Employed
Was thinking of getting either the Softopper or Bestop Supertop for my upcoming order. Has anyone here had any experience with either company, Pros/Cons for that vs using either a soft Tonneau cover or one of the hard tonneau covers.
I have a retrax powertrax pro on my platinum diesel f150, and loved it until I had my truck parked at a hotel in Houston when I went to a Mecum auction, and a couple of pos thieves pried the tonneau cover off and stole my tailgate and taillights. They could have also stolen the $1k in Milwaukee tools, as well as my vorsteriner wheels, but probably couldn’t carry more. Insurance fixed it, but I saw the trash thugs post my tailgate of Facebook marketplace, and they looked exactly like what I thought they would look like, and of course law enforcement did diddly. I was more mad that I had to haul a 69 mustang Mach 1 we bought home 400 miles with no tailgate or lights. Tonneau covers are not secure, and nowadays they’ll even break out your windows, so it’s best to avoid crap hole cities. As easy as they got part a hard tonneau cover, I don’t think it matters soft or solid lol
Ford Ranger Softopper vs Tonneau Cover Attachment
Ford Ranger Softopper vs Tonneau Cover IMG_3526

• Wow
Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
Harrington

Harrington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 2024 Ranger Raptor
I was thinking about a soft top and tonneau combo such as Fastop. https://www.fas-top.com
Anyone have experience or opinions on this product?
I have a close friend who strongly recommended the softopper brand that he uses on his Tacoma. I am 95% sure I'm going with www.wild-top.com topper as it has a nearly 800 lbs load rating for a rooftop tent as well as being the soft topper

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I have had my Softopper on my 4G Ranger for over 10 years. The truck is stored in an under ground. Still in good shape. You want to stay away from the vinyl windows. ie Bestop. The rear window from use eventually cracks in the cold. You want the sides covered from curious eyes. Never had a problem with theft or top being slashed. Yes there's no locking devices. When you have to move something tall you will appreciate it folds down over a canopy. Great for hauling motorcycles. Other then the straps getting corroded and rear vinyl window cracking, I have never had a problem with it. Never have had a snap rip off. Excellent product. Taller items are hidden over a Tonneau cover

Last edited:

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
That J-brace kit better be on my truck the day I pick it up, or I'm gonna raise hillbilly hell. No way Ford should ship a truck with a known structural deficiency like that and then put it on the customer to purchase and install a "kit" to fix their engineering problem. :curse:

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I agree but check your owner's manual and with the dealer. I don't think it would be an accessory for purchase if it was standard on the RR.
If anyone from Ford knows, they are welcome to chime in.

PawnX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Since my use case is just to keep stuff dry when camping and I wont be storing anything in it other than when I'm driving to and from places I plan to just get a softcover to start.
They are pretty cheap, and if I don't like it, or it get cut open I'll consider a hard top. I really don't want to lose bed space or block my view with a tri-fold when hauling something taller than the bed.
Sponsored