Sponsored

Towing fuel economy... What are you getting?

chasc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
120
Reaction score
138
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
The only complaints on this trip using this Ranger as a tow vehicle is the slop in the hitch receiver and the gas tank is too small.
Are you just bothered by the shank rattling when going over bumps while the trailer is un-hitched? That’s the only time I’ve noticed it. When towing, the spring bars of the WDH keep it pre-loaded so I never hear it rattle then.
Sponsored

 

buzzleo

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jan 31, 2025
Threads
14
Messages
62
Reaction score
23
Location
LA.....lower Al
Vehicle(s)
Not yet an owner
Occupation
retired
Well after 3 trips with my new truck towing my trailer, I am quite happy with it! It pulls better than the 2.3L in my 2023 truck and the fuel economy towing seems to be a tick better as well. While towing I tend to keep my speed between 90-100 KM/H. I keep 10th locked out and depending on how's it going I will sometimes lock out 9th as well, otherwise I just let it do it's thing. I do run premium in my truck at all times usually. Either 91, 93, or 94 octane depending on the station I stop at. I don't use the computer reading as it is always off, saying I'm getting better than what I actually am getting. The truck bed carries the trailer spare tire, 2x 20lb propane tanks, some firewood, griddle, small BBQ, folding table. The trailer tongue with full water is a bit over 600lb and pulls quite good with a full tank. Trailer is just a small 16ft with a gvwr of 4,000 lbs.

1st trip -> Heading west, no water in tank I got 20.2 L/100 KM; 5.0 KM/L; 11.7 MPG. Heading west from my place to the campground you are increasing in elevation from around 2326 FT to 3020 FT. Heading back east I got 16.6 L/100 KM; 6.0KM/L; 14.2 MPG

2nd trip -> I didn't fuel up before/after as it was close to home and only used about a 1/4 tank, so it was probably around 10 MPG; 23.52L/100 KM; 4.25 KM/L

3rd trip -> Heading east, 40 gallons water in tank I got 21.3L/100 KM; 4.7KM/L; 11.1 MPG and coming back west I was fighting a wind the entire way so got 22.3L/100 KM; 4.5KM/L; 10.5 MPG. I kept the truck in 8th gear both ways as there are quite a few hills and quite a few jogs in the road requiring you to stop, turn and then accelerate again.

I have a trip to BC coming in September so it will be interesting to see what I get for fuel usage. I will be travelling with no water in the tank as the campground I'm going to is full service. Will be about 1300 KM's round trip!

What is everyone else getting for fuel economy while towing?
I get ~13 mpg pulling a 19 ft keystone reign. It weighs 4500# 600# tongue weight (by the cat scales). 2025 2.3 fx4 xlt.
 
OP
OP
johnvosh

johnvosh

Member
First Name
Johnathan
Joined
Jul 15, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
17
Reaction score
41
Location
Stony Plain, AB
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger Lariat 2.7L
Occupation
Warehouse Supervisor/ Health & Safety
Alright! Just got from a trip to BC and this is what I got for numbers. I did not travel with any water in the trailer. Tried not to go above 100 KM/H. A good chunk of my driving was thru the mountains and the 2.7L and 10 speed didn't miss a beat, never got hot and pulled very good. Going down I had the cruise set and let the truck do its thing and it never went above my set speed either by gearing down or applying the brake periodically. On the 5th tank I did increase my speed to about 106 KM/H with some random passing of semi trucks. The truck was always in Tow mode! In my 5th tank it actually got into 10th gear in some areas, I think the wind must of been helping me! I do not lock out 9th/10th gears under normal towing, I let the truck go into the gear it wants unless it is really hilly then I will lock out 9/10th so it stays in 8th so there is less shifting.

1st tank: 260 KM's travelled; 59.003 L @ 94 Octane; @22.7 L/100KM @4.4 KM/L @10.4 MPG
2nd tank: 331.2 KM's travelled; 65.002 L @ 94 Octane; @19.6 L/100KM @5.1 KM/L @ 12 MPG
3rd tank: 360.9 KM's travelled; 70.010 L @ 94 Octane; @ 19.4 L/100KM @ 5.2 KM/L @ 12.1 MPG
4th tank: 278.9 KM's travelled; 51.007 L @ 94 Octane; @ 18.3 L/100KM @ 5.5 KM/L @ 12.9 MPG
5th tank: 213.8 KM's travelled; 41.011 L @ 91 Octane; @ 19.2 L/100KM @ 5.2 KM/L @ 12.3 MPG

Total distance for my trip was 1,445.2 KM's and total spent on fuel for my trip was $557.43 which is just insane and it should of only cost half of that, but the average price of fuel that I paid was $2.085/L

I am actually very impressed with this 2.7L V6 engine and 10 speed transmission and glad I upgraded from the 2.3L 4 cylinder.

*Edited to add final tank and final numbers*
 
Last edited:

Cabose-1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Eli
Joined
Feb 23, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
51
Reaction score
85
Location
South Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 xlt 4x2, advance tow elocker
Occupation
Student
All depends on what i am towing. I go no faster than 70mph. Usually keep it at 65 or 68 or something like that. 63 or 65 when towing a tt. Usually about 15 mpg or 13 mpgs when towing heavy. 7k or so. Most tows are at about 5 to 7k.
I always lock out gears 9 and 10 and use tow mode. Use manual mode more often than not. Use CarScanner to keep track of transmission and cylinder head temps and boost. I found the Ranger likes running about 2200 rpm or so when towing. Higher rpms keep the boost from working so hard.
Heaviest tow was with my old ranger. Hit 7700lbs. Oops.
Get 18 mpg when towing little trailers.
Last 2 or 3 years i use a torsion hitch. Worth every penny.

GEN-Y GLYDER

i have Road Active Suspension as well. The RAS system helps a lot!! So between ras and GEN-Y Glyder, smooth sailing on the tow. GEN-Y makes a torsion hitch for wdh too. Really helps with the bouncing and nudging of the trailer. Big game changer!!

2024 xlt, 4x2, advance tow package, elocker, 2.3l

Ford Ranger Towing fuel economy... What are you getting? Resized(1769894881384)_Resized_20240722_141445


Ford Ranger Towing fuel economy... What are you getting? 20260327_095122


Ford Ranger Towing fuel economy... What are you getting? 20260419_094648


Ford Ranger Towing fuel economy... What are you getting? 20260908_151006
Sponsored

 
 







Top