• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

UAW kicks off talks with 'Detroit Three'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Is there a reason that Toyota and others are not Unionized?
Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Time will tell - Hope you are right! Ford has some great products....but so do the imports.
Indeed. I love how Toyotas look and am envious of their reliability reputation (even though I find it completely overblown) but would never have considered one. Some of the new features like the power tailgate and storage pockets in the bed are really awesome. Frontier still looks like cheap plastic like the rest of Nissans cars but it’s an awesome option for an NA V-6 truck.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Is there a reason that Toyota and others are not Unionized?
Most believe it’s because of where they choose to build plants. Toyota (as well as Nissan, MB, BMW, etc) chose to build plants in the South on purpose where there isn’t as much favorability towards Unions and also where cost of labor is low and poverty is high. Toyota is actually unionized in Japan.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
Toyota also uses a lot of robots in their build process. Something the UAW will have to content with someday. Automation is the way everything goes with time.

Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Toyota also uses a lot of robots in their build process. Something the UAW will have to content with someday. Automation is the way everything goes with time.
Automation is more likely to replace office workers than factory workers. There are assembly tasks and inspections that are still better done with the articulation of a pair of hands. In comparison, it’s trivial to automate someone out of a job with a spreadsheet with only software. AI is making is so not only do you not need humans to collect and sort data, but you don’t even need them to internet it. Executives can simply ask a computer plain English questions about the data and the computer will respond. My buddy at Amazon is working on this exact thing for AWS. Just wait until you can ask AInto design a code compliant bridge for you. Or pilot a plane. Or deliver cargo.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
Automation is more likely to replace office workers than factory workers. There are assembly tasks and inspections that are still better done with the articulation of a pair of hands. In comparison, it’s trivial to automate someone out of a job with a spreadsheet with only software. AI is making is so not only do you not need humans to collect and sort data, but you don’t even need them to internet it. Executives can simply ask a computer plain English questions about the data and the computer will respond. My buddy at Amazon is working on this exact thing for AWS. Just wait until you can ask AInto design a code compliant bridge for you. Or pilot a plane. Or deliver cargo.
That is why I said everything( all fields). Also look at Toyota's factories...They have a ton of automation that would replace a lot of the UAW line positions. I am not predicting that part, as it is already being done...Some positions will stay human for verification of course, but a large part will not.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.