• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
As I have been further researching catch cans and their varied performance abilities, I came upon the RX Dual Valve System.
On youtube, FordTechMakuloko covers an installation, but on a V configured engine. Their system takes a vacuum source from the PCV (non-boost) as well as from the turbo inlet (on-boost).
I inquired as to whether they were working on a system for the new Ranger and the response I got from James is below.
It seems that if they had a Ranger to work with, they would develop one. It looks like they are in the Chicago Illinois area.

"We want to ASAP I would have to rent one..

Or I can offer you $100.00 coupon if you would like to work with us on a twin can setup..

We can make any bracket in house. "

James Malinowski
Research and Development
www.teamrxp.com
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else thinking about installing an oil catch can once they're available? I see it's a pretty popular mod and haven't seen any discussion on it yet.
Not for me.
Regards

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
That sounds promising. I tried contacting them and didn't get a response, but that was several months ago. From their feedback, it sounds like they want to develop a two-can setup rather than a two-input single-can setup like the one in the Ford tech video.

While it would be great to help them out if you're in their part of the country, you don't necessarily need to wait for a custom product from them. If you're okay with doing some modding and making your own brackets and hoses, you can use an existing dual-input can and check valves to tap in to the breather side to catch the on-boost flow, or you can make your own two-can setup. In my own case, I found it simpler to just use a second can since it kept the hoses shorter and more localized.

As I have been further researching catch cans and their varied performance abilities, I came upon the RXP Dual Valve System.
On youtube, FordTechMakuloko covers an installation, but on a V configured engine. Their system takes a vacuum source from the PCV (non-boost) as well as from the turbo inlet (on-boost).
I inquired as to whether they were working on a system for the new Ranger and the response I got from James is below.
It seems that if they had a Ranger to work with, they would develop one. It looks like they are in the Chicago Illinois area.

"We want to ASAP I would have to rent one..

Or I can offer you $100.00 coupon if you would like to work with us on a twin can setup..

We can make any bracket in house. "

James Malinowski
Research and Development
www.teamrxp.com

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DavidR,
I believe that the Dual Can RX System still uses the single can with two vacuum sources.
The second can further cleans up the "Clean Side".

Sponsored

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
DavidR,
I believe that the Dual Can RX System still uses the single can with two vacuum sources.
The second can further cleans up the "Clean Side".
OK, yeah, I think you're right, it's been a while since I looked into that one. If, by cleaning up the clean side, they mean oil-separating the fresh air going *into* the crankcase, I remember being a little skeptical about needing that, but you definitely do want to clean the air being vented from the crankcase to the pre-turbo vacuum port. I just found it easier to use a second can for that, but the dual-input can would work equally well.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I also have that one. It's nice because they supply all of the necessary QR fittings to attach to the non-boost PCV path. I wouldn't mount it in the location they suggest though. That location gets very hot. The can wasn't catching much, so I moved it around in front of the battery where it stayed much cooler and condensed more oil.

I eventually replaced it with another can (a Provent 200) and then used the JLT in the on-boost ventilation path. Even with the new can, it was nice having the JLT-supplied hoses with QR fittings, though I had to do a DIY setup for the other path.

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
I also have that one. It's nice because they supply all of the necessary QR fittings to attach to the non-boost PCV path. I wouldn't mount it in the location they suggest though. That location gets very hot. The can wasn't catching much, so I moved it around in front of the battery where it stayed much cooler and condensed more oil.

I eventually replaced it with another can (a Provent 200) and then used the JLT in the on-boost ventilation path. Even with the new can, it was nice having the JLT-supplied hoses with QR fittings, though I had to do a DIY setup for the other path.

I have the JLT on my 14 Stang and it works awesome..i have never captured oil on the drivers side and hardly any on passenger side... was also thinking of a DIY project on the can that catches nothing...hmmmm…..I have time with just over 1100 miles on the clock.....

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I have the JLT on my 14 Stang and it works awesome..i have never captured oil on the drivers side and hardly any on passenger side... was also thinking of a DIY project on the can that catches nothing...hmmmm…..I have time with just over 1100 miles on the clock.....
The location does seem to make a difference. I'm not sure what location JLT recommends on the Mustang for the driver side one, but on the Ranger, they recommend mounting it above the front of the valve cover. It might be fine in the winter, but in the summer, that location gets very hot since it's above the engine and right in the path of hot air from the radiator fan. For the first 2000-3000 miles, the can didn't catch anything except a thin film of oil. After I moved it in front of the battery and drove another few thousand miles, it then captured 3-4 ml of oil.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
The location does seem to make a difference. I'm not sure what location JLT recommends on the Mustang for the driver side one, but on the Ranger, they recommend mounting it above the front of the valve cover. It might be fine in the winter, but in the summer, that location gets very hot since it's above the engine and right in the path of hot air from the radiator fan. For the first 2000-3000 miles, the can didn't catch anything except a thin film of oil. After I moved it in front of the battery and drove another few thousand miles, it then captured 3-4 ml of oil.
A 1/10th of an ounce?
So an ounce of oil every 30,000 miles?
An ounce per cylinder every 120,000 miles?

960, 000 miles before you're down a quart. I'd keep an eye on that
dipstick!

Last edited:

Sponsored

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2015 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
I'm not impressed with the JLT kits. Had them on a couple 07 Mustangs, and they didn't catch much. It seemed that a lot more oil was getting through than was getting caught. Probably a reason theirs is one of the cheapest around. I have a different one on my 2015 that catches quite a bit. Bought a nice can that I need to build into a setup to fit my wife's Fusion Sport, just haven't had time to do it.

Not sure when/if I'll do something on the Ranger since it seems to have more of a catch setup from the factory than other earlier models. May do the upgraded Mishmoto baffle though, or wait for someone to come out with a nice kit that works on the Lariat.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not impressed with the JLT kits. Had them on a couple 07 Mustangs, and they didn't catch much. It seemed that a lot more oil was getting through than was getting caught. Probably a reason theirs is one of the cheapest around. I have a different one on my 2015 that catches quite a bit. Bought a nice can that I need to build into a setup to fit my wife's Fusion Sport, just haven't had time to do it.

Not sure when/if I'll do something on the Ranger since it seems to have more of a catch setup from the factory than other earlier models. May do the upgraded Mishmoto baffle though, or wait for someone to come out with a nice kit that works on the Lariat.
Similar experience here. Installed a JLT in the recommended position (which doesn't work on the Lariat, but it's a bad position anyway) and it caught very little in 3000 miles. Moved it in front of the battery and it caught 3-4 ml in ~1500 miles. Then replaced it with a Provent 200 which has caught more than that in fewer miles. I'm using the JLT in the on-boost path now.

EDIT: The new Mishimoto kit should work on the Lariat since their bracket mounts in front of the battery instead of above the valve cover: Mishimoto R&D: 2019+ Ranger Catch Can Kit

Last edited:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Scott,

There's been another ongoing thread about this, started by @Mishimoto . They are now releasing a plug-and-play kit similar to the JLT, but the Mishimoto seems to be a more highly regarded can. Also, the supplied bracket mounts in front of the battery instead of above the valve cover, which is a better location from past experience. You may want to check it out:

Mishimoto R&D: 2019+ Ranger Catch Can Kit

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure that the Mishimoto kit is high quality, but I personally would prefer a Dual Valve kit rather than trying to fit two of these.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I saw this not sure if it will help explain the difference between oil catch cans and air / oil separators.

If catch cans came pre-installed on cars my feeling is that since it is a maintenance type item most people on the road will never ever check them for service. Which would eventually cause problems when they fill up. I spent a summer long ago helping out at a local dealership doing oil changes, tire rotations and other minor work for a bit of spare change. It was an eye opening experience on the lack of care people show their vehicles.

The vast majority of vehicles that came in there rarely saw any owner preventive maintenance. Tires were under inflated, cracked and balding. No washer fluid tanks were topped up by the owner. Windshield wipers cracked and falling apart. Air filters with years of dirt build up. They were terrible. If a car owner will not keep up with basic things like that they certainly are not going to check the level of an oil catch can. Which is why a manufacturer would be silly to put a non self draining catch can in a vehicle.

There are some here seemingly adamantly opposed to the use of catch cans. Saying if it was supposed to be there Ford would have put one on in the first place. That is fine, believe what you want. No reason to rain on others parades or if they want a catch can. It is their vehicle, not yours. Caveat Emptor and all that.

There is a valid concern of build up in the intake tract with direct injection and the PCV system. The bean counters at the manufacturers can dictate what gets put on a vehicle. Plus the desire for future servicing opportunities at dealerships to gain revenue along with the desire to sell a new vehicle puts a shelf life on most things.

TLDR - Most vehicle owners will not do anything more to their vehicles than put gas in and go. They will do no preventive maintenance or fluid checks.
Sponsored

Last edited: