• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
USAF (Ret)
Hey Ford….why don’t you quit screwing around and get these things out to the “NA” dealers so we can actually buy one. I’m kinda tired of all your “teasing”…

Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to move to Europe (again), Australia (already been there too), or Thailand, just to buy a better Ranger. I’m not getting any younger, richer, or better looking; I would like to own one while gas is still legally available and insurance is still relatively affordable. (You do realize some of us are living under threats of ‘no new internal combustion engine vehicles allowed’ in the not-to-distant future. I used to think that would never happen; now I’m not too sure.) Please don’t make me go back to Toyota….
Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Wow, it looks amazing! Glad to know that the North American market is finally going to get the baby Raptor it deserves!

And it's also got me thinking: Since the Ranger Raptor is headed to the US, it will most likely take on competition such as the next-generation versions of the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, GMC Canyon AT4X, and Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. So my big question is that since Ford is going to (without a doubt) bring over the 400+ HP V6 EcoBoost engine, will this influence the competing trucks to drop in a similar spec powertrain to match (or attempt to beat) what the Ranger Raptor has to offer?

-SG

Reactions: Doc

paulb351

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everest
Ford of Europe:
De-rated 3.0 Ecoboost engine with 212 kW and 493 Nm. The current model's 2L Biturbo Diesel remains an option (no output quoted).

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...tor-rewrites-the-rulebook-for-ultimate-o.html
Weird specs listing for Europe, In Australia it is quoted as 292Kw and 583Nm so tuning responsible for the lower outputs, easily fixed post delivery with a tune up! Reporting in AUS says Ranger Raptor faster than F150 Raptor, makes sense with same motor in lighter vehicle.

paulb351

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everest
This almost has me considering moving from the F150 Raptor.
Think of it this way, same motor, lighter vehicle equals faster than the F150 version, at least until the F150 Raptor-R comes along. Ford AUS have a 10 kilometre long off road test track, old model (2lt BiTurbo diesel) lap time improved by one minute with this new weapon.

Comes down to the size you need, if large then go the F150 Raptor, if not then Ranger Raptor.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Weird specs listing for Europe, In Australia it is quoted as 292Kw and 583Nm so tuning responsible for the lower outputs, easily fixed post delivery with a tune up! Reporting in AUS says Ranger Raptor faster than F150 Raptor, makes sense with same motor in lighter vehicle.
Europe is Euro 6 emissions, Australia is only Euro 5 (for now) so we don't get choked down. Europe has a particulate filter on the petrol too to meet emissions.

Oh and it's not the same engine at all, the 3L is completely different to the 3.5L. It comes down to weight though. I haven't seen any claims about being faster than the F-150, only reports of it being about 4 seconds faster than the current Ranger Raptor with the diesel (which would be about right). It's nearly double the horsepower.

Sponsored

paulb351

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everest
Europe is Euro 6 emissions, Australia is only Euro 5 (for now) so we don't get choked down. Europe has a particulate filter on the petrol too to meet emissions.
Addition of a petrol particulate filter significant in reducing tailpipe emissions for Euro6 compliance, difficult to see a similar spec engine without PPF gains so much power from the PPF deletion. Perhaps loss in power & torque is more to do with fuel efficiency requirements so tuned to perform better l/100km figures???

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Addition of a petrol particulate filter significant in reducing tailpipe emissions for Euro6 compliance, difficult to see a similar spec engine without PPF gains so much power from the PPF deletion. Perhaps loss in power & torque is more to do with fuel efficiency requirements so tuned to perform better l/100km figures???
It's all about taxation in Europe.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
since Ford is going to (without a doubt) bring over the 400+ HP V6 EcoBoost engine, will this influence the competing trucks to drop in a similar spec powertrain to match (or attempt to beat) what the Ranger Raptor has to offer?
GM sources have been reporting the next gen GM twins will be 2.7L 4cyl Turbo/10 speed auto only. Wonder where GM got that idea from?? The 2.7L GM looks great on paper and does well in the full size trucks. But, it should not compete with the 2.7L Ecoboost, let alone this 3.0L monster, unless Ford goes conservitive in it's programming.

same motor, lighter vehicle equals faster than the F150 version
This would seem logical, but people with the 2.7 Bronco are reporting it's noticeably slower and more sluggish than an F-150 with this engine (granted 10R80 vs 10R60 maye be the culprit?). Maybe the throttle body/ transmission mapping are just ultra conservative on the Bronco? My experience with the 2.7L in 4x4 F-150's is that it's a rocket!! This 3.0L should be insane if the tuning isn't watered down. Great looking truck that will fetch $20k markups if the current availability restraints don't go away by next year......

Frog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado & CX-30
Occupation
Offshore Crane Operator - Oil & Gas Platform
I have been needing to downsize my truck to something that fits my needs more. Was looking into the Maverick but this thing has blown my mind. Everything I'd want, without having to go to the size of a regular F-150 Raptor. Only, not sure whats going on with the center infotainment screen. It literally shows HVAC controls on all the images taking up a fair amount of real estate when the physical controls are one inch lower. With only a few additional buttons. I hope it hides away when not in use. Also hoping for a rear open window and a sun or pano roof but will probably end up being a sunroof if it has one at all.

Edit: Seems to be kind of a small amount of range, video's if seen with a full tank so 510km which is 316 miles.

Last edited:

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
GM sources have been reporting the next gen GM twins will be 2.7L 4cyl Turbo/10 speed auto only. Wonder where GM got that idea from?? The 2.7L GM looks great on paper and does well in the full size trucks. But, it should not compete with the 2.7L Ecoboost, let alone this 3.0L monster, unless Ford goes conservitive in it's programming.
What I think would benefit GM's midsize trucks (at least the ZR2/AT4X variants) was if they offered the 3.6L TT V6 from the CT4-V Blackwing. It already produces 472 HP in that application, so even with a slight detune in power it would be more competitive against the Ranger Raptor than the 2.7L four. I read the GM forums from time to time, and I'm surprised that I haven't heard this suggestion at all.

-SG

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Way to go Ford, putting the alternator on the bottom of the motor for an offroad focused vehicle.
It's a sealed unit apparently

Labradorguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Interesting that the Raptor release…of which I assume there is only one model…is shown with two different sets of wheels in the photos?

Steve Boehm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Jeep Cherokee and 03 Grand Marquis
Occupation
Director of Information Technology
Interesting that the Raptor release…of which I assume there is only one model…is shown with two different sets of wheels in the photos?
Bead lock and standard wheels.

Bmoose

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Sport Trac
The aesthetics blow the current Ranger out of the water. I actually was disappointed with this current gen on many levels. Any word on what the 3.0 twin can pull? It did show a driver on the left and right in pictures so I'm confident this will actual make it to the States...

OP
OP

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
The front bumper looks like its made of steel contrary to the earlier non raptor truck pictures.
looks to be missing front tow points but could easily replace those black covers in the skid plate.
I also noticed the rear steps behind the rear wheels are gone. I was kind of looking forward to those.
Sponsored