• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
They need to update their vehicle designs and stop using outdated silicon, rather than build more outdated chips. It's not an issue of overseas or domestic production, it's an issue of the parts they use being old and unprofitable to chip makers so they receive low priority.
I honestly think that is a bit of a justification. The chips they are using are old designs, but they are tried and tested and is most likely one reason why they use them rather than use new, unproven designs.

Chip makers will make whatever customers want to buy, especially in the volumes that car makers purchase.
Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
I honestly think that is a bit of a justification. The chips they are using are old designs, but they are tried and tested and is most likely one reason why they use them rather than use new, unproven designs.

Chip makers will make whatever customers want to buy, especially in the volumes that car makers purchase.
Auto chips are on old, large processes (fewer chips per cycle) and have low margins.
No reason for the fabs to invest in making more when they can make jillions of smaller, higher margin chips for phones et al. They were proven in the 90s/early 2000s, gotta get with the times. It's flippin' 202x now.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist

kaptaink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on a bronco
Iā€™ve had a 5.5ā€™ bed for almost 20 years and the whole time missed the 6ā€™ bed I had on my ā€˜94 Ranger SuperCab (my previous vehicle). Besides mulch and topsoil runs, I also do a bunch of camping and backpacking with a large Boy Scout Troop. I need every bit of volume at times and often use my bed extender.

My big issue with a bed extender is not being able to utilize the 2ā€ receiver hitch when the tailgate is down. Iā€™m also a Mtn biker and with a 6ā€™ bed, can put bikes in the bed (with tailgate up) and use the hitch to use a 4 bike carrier as well. Iā€™m also a paddler (SUP and kayak)ā€¦ Same goes with kayaks in the bed (tailgate up). Iā€™m considering a small teardrop camper for overland camping too. Tailgate up to use of the hitch is a must.

Iā€™m sticking to a midsize for ease of parking in the big city and narrow backcountry fire roads. This shortcoming is very much a deal breaker for me. With ALL of the BoF competition offering this configuration, I sure hope Ford doesnā€™t skip this part of the market share.
I work in automotive, currently FORD has plans for two more wheelbase frames, one of them being a 6' box on the larger cab. A lot of things can happen between now and start of production. However at this time those options are in play

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I work in automotive, currently FORD has plans for two more wheelbase frames, one of them being a 6' box on the larger cab. A lot of things can happen between now and start of production. However at this time those options are in play
Iā€™m hopeful! Iā€™m sure that Iā€™m not alone eitherā€¦ The overland crowd also likes this configuration with a bed cap for secure sleeping arrangements. Not nearly as practical to do this with a 5ā€™ bed. Thanks for your post.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kaptaink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on a bronco
Iā€™m hopeful! Iā€™m sure that Iā€™m not alone eitherā€¦ The overland crowd also likes this configuration with a bed cap for secure sleeping arrangements. Not nearly as practical to do this with a 5ā€™ bed. Thanks for your post.
glad I could post something of interest! I am coming over from bronco6g, I am one of the disgruntled many waiting for a bronco. May plans may now change pending next gen ranger.

I hope to get more info, one of our divisions is responsible for current ranger/bronco frames

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Is it going to be debut this year. 2021
From Muscle Cars and Trucks article dated Oct 10, 2021. " The next-generation Ford Ranger is expected to have an eight-year life cycle and will probably be revealed within a couple of weeks " Probably an Australia reveal.

Getting a little pissed off with all the Bronco hype. Ford deal with what you have and the customers getting their vehicles. Now Ford is talking about the Bronco Everglade. Ford Bronco Everglades is official, arrives next summer with the Raptor (msn.com)

Halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Fire Department
For the mulch and topsoil (and firewood), I think the depth of the bed helps offset the length. It is a very deep bed. I used to do Boy Scout trips as well, so I understand needing as much volume as possible.

All good points - as I said - for me, it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I certainly hope the next gen model has a longbed option for the crew cab. It would be a great truck even better.
Not to mention a yard of topsoil weighs 1,400-2,000 pounds. So we can't get anywhere near having a full bed of topsoil in our trucks safely or without risking damaging something. My local yard won't load more than a half yard in any midsize or half-ton truck just for this reason. Mulch is a different story.

Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess you'll be like me and look at the new gen Tacoma or 4runner
Definitely looking at the new Tacoma, or perhaps upsizing to a F-150.

Tremortized

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Security Engineer
When do we find out what powertrain options will be available in the US? The 2.3 is decent, but not my favorite for a truck (even mid-sized).

Reactions: Doc

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When do we find out what powertrain options will be available in the US? The 2.3 is decent, but not my favorite for a truck (even mid-sized).
Sometime after February, I'd imagine.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc