Sponsored

Another Sub woofer & Amp Installation

OP
OP
hand-filer

hand-filer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
704
Reaction score
1,149
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX4
By the way OP, since ebay refund me for the lost Skar sub box, there was none left, so got the Aussie box. Got it today, pretty great. How do you like the terminals ? I might switch the screw terminal for a mountable XT-60 connector.

Also, I got my speakers sorted out, and going full Hertz (with Audison dual amps). The MPS 250 looks like a very great unit. Really impressed by Hertz speakers.

MPK 165P.3 components
MPX 165.3 coax
MPS 250...

Also got a spare Audison AV Voce 3.0 (from my Golf center channel) that I'll pop in center location.

Hope the weather is better in the West, here's it's too cold to start working on the doors and rear bulkhead.

Thanks for your input
Sounds like a solid plan!
Yeah those terminals are shite! I was too lazy to upgrade them after the install. Thanks for the reminder though, I'm on it!
Sponsored

 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
810
Reaction score
1,175
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
Apologies if this question belongs in a separate post: is there any way to upgrade the subwoofer without using the under-seat storage? I need that storage space for tie-downs and tools but still want better sound. I know that using the under-seat storage for a woofer is by far the best way, but I’ll settle for better than what I currently have.
 

Sauce

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2025
Threads
46
Messages
530
Reaction score
454
Location
Northeast
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger XLT FX4
Apologies if this question belongs in a separate post: is there any way to upgrade the subwoofer without using the under-seat storage? I need that storage space for tie-downs and tools but still want better sound. I know that using the under-seat storage for a woofer is by far the best way, but I’ll settle for better than what I currently have.
The smaller the enclosure, the worse its going to sound, but I did the Memphis Nano behind the rear seat and it helped a lot to supplement the OEM system's low end. It just barely fits back there and allows you to still use the under seat storage.

https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product/nano110p/
 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
810
Reaction score
1,175
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
The smaller the enclosure, the worse its going to sound, but I did the Memphis Nano behind the rear seat and it helped a lot to supplement the OEM system's low end. It just barely fits back there and allows you to still use the under seat storage.

https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product/nano110p/
How did you mount it and connect it? Was it hard? It looks like the nano110p is out of stock on memphis audio, and permanently gone from crutchfield and others, BUT, there's a nano10spx that appears to have the same size and specifications, but is IP66-rated for weather exposure (in broncos or jeeps and the like). Specific details aside, this does look like something I'd want since I want an improvement without making any concessions on space or useability.
 

Sauce

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2025
Threads
46
Messages
530
Reaction score
454
Location
Northeast
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger XLT FX4
How did you mount it and connect it? Was it hard? It looks like the nano110p is out of stock on memphis audio, and permanently gone from crutchfield and others, BUT, there's a nano10spx that appears to have the same size and specifications, but is IP66-rated for weather exposure (in broncos or jeeps and the like). Specific details aside, this does look like something I'd want since I want an improvement without making any concessions on space or useability.
If you search my posts, I have a long post about the install. Connecting it took a while, but it wasn't overly difficult. Just a matter of running and concealing the wires and tapping the speaker wires for input. Mine actually isn't mounted, but its so snug behind the seat there probably wouldn't be room for a mount and it is not vibrating or moving. I actually need to slam the seat pretty hard to get it to lock because the fit is so tight. Nothing bigger would fit.

That updated version looks nearly identical other than the connections. Just check the measurements side by side since the fitment doesn't really allow for anything bigger.

Kicker Hideaway is another option, but I can't confirm fitment and Crutchfield told me the Memphis was a better option for the price.

Under the front seats could be another option, but fit would be tight and it would take away foot room.
 

Sponsored

Chuck2001

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
179
Reaction score
126
Location
Montreal, Canada
Vehicle(s)
25 RR, 24 Golf R
A loaded box or active sub is probably your best bet before a custom box for the Ranger rear seat.

I don't think I've ever seen a custom box online ready to buy and install.
 

2wheelfish

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2025
Threads
3
Messages
66
Reaction score
66
Location
OC Cal
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
By the way OP, since ebay refund me for the lost Skar sub box, there was none left, so got the Aussie box. Got it today, pretty great. How do you like the terminals ? I might switch the screw terminal for a mountable XT-60 connector.

Also, I got my speakers sorted out, and going full Hertz (with Audison dual amps). The MPS 250 looks like a very great unit. Really impressed by Hertz speakers.

MPK 165P.3 components
MPX 165.3 coax
MPS 250...

Also got a spare Audison AV Voce 3.0 (from my Golf center channel) that I'll pop in center location.

Hope the weather is better in the West, here's it's too cold to start working on the doors and rear bulkhead.

Thanks for your input
Watch out, you seem to be on the same slippery slope I was on - started with Cento, then thought Cento pro, then Mille pro, lol, actually ended with Mille Legend (MLK 165.3) with Mille pro rear. Good luck!
 

DriftJuice

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
14
Reaction score
44
Location
Hilo
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor
Occupation
Truck driver
First off, I have to thank nate.co and his excellent thread Mega audio upgrade -- sound deadening, speakers, stealthbox sub, GMRS radio for guidance. The information was invaluable and a major time saver.
I went with the following components:
Hertz MPS 250 S2 shallow subwoofer
Hertz DIECI POWER DP 1.500 Mono Class-D Amplifier
Stealthtech Sub Enclosure
Kicker Keylok & Harness

I used 6061 T6 Aluminum 2'' x 1/8'' Flat Bar for the mounting brackets.
Tools used to fabricate the brackets:
-hack-saw
-assorted hand files
-1/2" disk sander
-6" bench vise

The factory sub is a 5 1/2" driver in a tuned wave enclosure. It operates in a very narrow frequency range. It sounds hideous and does more harm than good if you leave it connected.
My advice to anyone contemplating a similar upgrade is to shit can it and utilize the space to mount your amp.
I too had to reduce the gain on the KeyLok as it is pre-set way too high.
Overall I'm very happy with the outcome. I didn't bother upgrading the rest of the speakers. They sound pretty good once you remove the factory sub and add a real one.
Here are some images of what I concocted for bracketry and the end results:

Amp Mounting Bracket.JPG


Fuse Mount Bracket.JPG


Test Fit.JPG


Beer Break.JPG


Sub Woofer Installed.JPG


Amp & Keylok Installed.JPG


Factory Subwoofer.JPG
First off, I have to thank nate.co and his excellent thread Mega audio upgrade -- sound deadening, speakers, stealthbox sub, GMRS radio for guidance. The information was invaluable and a major time saver.
I went with the following components:
Hertz MPS 250 S2 shallow subwoofer
Hertz DIECI POWER DP 1.500 Mono Class-D Amplifier
Stealthtech Sub Enclosure
Kicker Keylok & Harness

I used 6061 T6 Aluminum 2'' x 1/8'' Flat Bar for the mounting brackets.
Tools used to fabricate the brackets:
-hack-saw
-assorted hand files
-1/2" disk sander
-6" bench vise

The factory sub is a 5 1/2" driver in a tuned wave enclosure. It operates in a very narrow frequency range. It sounds hideous and does more harm than good if you leave it connected.
My advice to anyone contemplating a similar upgrade is to shit can it and utilize the space to mount your amp.
I too had to reduce the gain on the KeyLok as it is pre-set way too high.
Overall I'm very happy with the outcome. I didn't bother upgrading the rest of the speakers. They sound pretty good once you remove the factory sub and add a real one.
Here are some images of what I concocted for bracketry and the end results:

Amp Mounting Bracket.JPG


Fuse Mount Bracket.JPG


Test Fit.JPG


Beer Break.JPG


Sub Woofer Installed.JPG


Amp & Keylok Installed.JPG


Factory Subwoofer.JPG
How did you mount mount the sub to the box? Did you put screw inserts or just screwed right into the box?
 

Buellsox

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Oct 22, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
272
Reaction score
419
Location
Tacoma, WA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Local 26 Union Plumber
How did you mount mount the sub to the box? Did you put screw inserts or just screwed right into the box?
For my install I screwed the sub directly into the meat of the sub box itself. No nut-zerts or inserts were needed for the Hertz 10” in the StealthTech box. Just don’t over tighten or go full ham with an impact or screw gun.
I also tek screwed into the sheet metal flange at the front of the box as the box itself would rattle around in the tub with the Hertz 10” being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 300.1. It frigging pounds! I also sound deadened the tub before the box dropped in.
Hope this helps!

Ford Ranger Another Sub woofer & Amp Installation IMG_1020


Ford Ranger Another Sub woofer & Amp Installation IMG_1021
 

Chuck2001

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
179
Reaction score
126
Location
Montreal, Canada
Vehicle(s)
25 RR, 24 Golf R
#10 tek screws ?

How long?

Still have not fixed my sub into my truck (have the exact Hertz + Stealthtech setup)

5 screws and that's it ? Good enough !?
 

Buellsox

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Oct 22, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
272
Reaction score
419
Location
Tacoma, WA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Local 26 Union Plumber
#10 tek screws ?

How long?

Still have not fixed my sub into my truck (have the exact Hertz + Stealthtech setup)

5 screws and that's it ? Good enough !?
#10’s or 12’s. Can’t quite remember, but I do remember they were the bigger 3/8” head versus the regular smaller 5/16”. I predrilled and used 2” long Tek’s. The area I have them located is the only area where the flange has open tub underneath.
DON’T continue around to the rear our side towards the center of the truck or you’ll drill through the under side of the truck. That’s the curved/rolled area at the back of the tub. I crawled under the truck before doing any drilling and that rolled hump is direct sheet metal to the underside exterior of the truck with no void space to land those screws.
Yes! Those Tek’s settled my box down from rattling around in the tub.
Sponsored

 
 







Top