Sponsored

Can someone look at the drivers side turbo??

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
540
Reaction score
511
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
I recently had my drivers side turbo replaces and I am not sure if this looks right. Can someone look from the top and tell me if this is what you see. It's circled in red. You can see this shinny copper/gold pipe that looks like it is in between the hot and cold side. @RRaptorscallion0331

Ford Ranger Can someone look at the drivers side turbo?? IMG_0739
Sponsored

 

RRaptorscallion0331

Well-Known Member
First Name
Colin
Joined
May 6, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
184
Reaction score
109
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Hey bro, hope all is well, I looked through my photos of when I installed my Downpipes but didn’t have a view from the top, will check it out after work and report back to ya. Is there anything wrong or just looks out of place?
 
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
540
Reaction score
511
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
Hey bro, hope all is well, I looked through my photos of when I installed my Downpipes but didn’t have a view from the top, will check it out after work and report back to ya. Is there anything wrong or just looks out of place?
Thanks man! Only seeing 20psi boost (it's been hot so...) other than that she is fine. But I just don't have any faith in the dealer. I'm pretty sure it's normal since the impeller runs between the two sides. Maybe I noticed it being new and shinny??
 

Sponsored

RRaptorscallion0331

Well-Known Member
First Name
Colin
Joined
May 6, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
184
Reaction score
109
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I saw a peak of 23psi when I gunned it this morning. Tuned with DSR downpipes.
 

AMGRAPTOR

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
174
Reaction score
192
Location
FL
Vehicle(s)
2024 Raptor Ranger
Glad you got it figured out. I have the ford performance tune and always see 24 psi peak boost.
what happened to the turbo? What dealership did you use?
 

Sponsored

DESKPOP

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2026
Threads
6
Messages
70
Reaction score
79
Location
FarNorcal
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
The boost levels on this truck are perplexing to me although admittedly I have never owned a boosted gas vehicle just diesels. I dont see much boost if any at all on this truck until after the third gear shift and that is only if I am in the pedal. I can stomp on it and get the boost up to about 20 but it seems boost only comes on when I mash the pedal. The rest of the time the truck is essentially running no boost which is confusing to me as its different from my diesels.
 

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
575
Reaction score
495
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
The boost levels on this truck are perplexing to me although admittedly I have never owned a boosted gas vehicle just diesels. I dont see much boost if any at all on this truck until after the third gear shift and that is only if I am in the pedal. I can stomp on it and get the boost up to about 20 but it seems boost only comes on when I mash the pedal. The rest of the time the truck is essentially running no boost which is confusing to me as its different from my diesels.
Without the turbo, you would see constant vacuum, and a lot more than the vacuum you typically see on the Raptor. So it is boosting, just not always in the positive. That's my understanding.
 

Tom W8JI

Active Member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Jul 1, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
38
Reaction score
46
Location
Macon GA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat V6
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Diesels run full air through and regulate engine power by controlling the amount of fuel injected. They might regulate boost, but they do not use a air intake throttle. Diesels do not have a fixed stoichiometric mixture like a spark ignition engine.


A spark engine regulates airflow and has to match that to a controlled fuel rate. It has to be in the 12.5 to maybe 15:1 ratio by mass (weight) of air to fuel.

14.7 is considered a typical optimum value of A/F mixture.

Because air mass is limited to control power in an SI (spark ignition) engine, it will run at anything from a fairly high intake vacuum to boost depending on power required. You will get highest boost trying to stuff more air mass into the engine only when at peak power demand load.

You can roughly calculate the added power by looking at the "bars" of boost. Normal atmosphere air pressure trying to force air into an engine is 14.5 psi or 1 "bar". 14.5 PSIG (gauge pressure) would double the horsepower, except the turbos have to extract some engine power to run. (It doesn't all come for free like people will commonly claim.) If the base engine power on atmosphere air is 200 HP, you would see another 200 minus the pumping losses to move that additional air.

If you ran 29 PSIG (and cooled the compressed air back to ambient) the boost would add in two more base horsepowers, less the pumping losses to pump that air. A 200 HP engine becomes 600 HP minus the horsepower needed to actually pump that air. Only a tiny bit is actually free from heat recovery in the turbine, which would show as an exhaust thermal drop across the turbine.
 

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
575
Reaction score
495
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Diesels run full air through and regulate engine power by controlling the amount of fuel injected. They might regulate boost, but they do not use a air intake throttle. Diesels do not have a fixed stoichiometric mixture like a spark ignition engine.


A spark engine regulates airflow and has to match that to a controlled fuel rate. It has to be in the 12.5 to maybe 15:1 ratio by mass (weight) of air to fuel.

14.7 is considered a typical optimum value of A/F mixture.

Because air mass is limited to control power in an SI (spark ignition) engine, it will run at anything from a fairly high intake vacuum to boost depending on power required. You will get highest boost trying to stuff more air mass into the engine only when at peak power demand load.

You can roughly calculate the added power by looking at the "bars" of boost. Normal atmosphere air pressure trying to force air into an engine is 14.5 psi or 1 "bar". 14.5 PSIG (gauge pressure) would double the horsepower, except the turbos have to extract some engine power to run. (It doesn't all come for free like people will commonly claim.) If the base engine power on atmosphere air is 200 HP, you would see another 200 minus the pumping losses to move that additional air.

If you ran 29 PSIG (and cooled the compressed air back to ambient) the boost would add in two more base horsepowers, less the pumping losses to pump that air. A 200 HP engine becomes 600 HP minus the horsepower needed to actually pump that air. Only a tiny bit is actually free from heat recovery in the turbine, which would show as an exhaust thermal drop across the turbine.
True story.
 
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
24
Messages
540
Reaction score
511
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
Glad you got it figured out. I have the ford performance tune and always see 24 psi peak boost.
what happened to the turbo? What dealership did you use?
It had excessive shaft play. High pitched whine at all levels of boost. Ferman Ford in Clearwater FL did the work.
Sponsored

 
 







Top