• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
How hard was it to take the FX4 decals off? I'd like to get less attention while I crawl the mall.
They were super easy actually. I just hit them with a heat gun and they peeled right off, no residue left behind.
Sponsored

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What did you do to prep the emblems? Never had luck painting the chrome on plastics

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you do to prep the emblems? Never had luck painting the chrome on plastics
So for the factory painted parts, I only scuffed with 1000 grit. However, for the chrome parts, I scuffed with 400 then smoothed them out with 1000 as they were noticeably harder and the 1000 wasn't doing much. Of course I clean with mineral spirits prior to scuffing then rubbing alcohol after scuffing then a wipe down with a dry microfiber. All parts received three coats of Duplicolor Plastic Adhesion Promoter. Then four top coats on all parts (Krylon fusion gloss and matte black) and three coats of high gloss clear on the gloss parts.

mbergthold

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x
Nice looking truck, very similar to mine. I have 18" wheels, did you go to 17" for that tire specifically? I would like a slightly larger tire with more aggressive tread when these wear out. Thanks for the FabFour ACC bracket info - did the grille have to come off? It was a pain when I installed the LED bar in the lower opening, only broke one tab.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking truck, very similar to mine. I have 18" wheels, did you go to 17" for that tire specifically? I would like a slightly larger tire with more aggressive tread when these wear out. Thanks for the FabFour ACC bracket info - did the grille have to come off? It was a pain when I installed the LED bar in the lower opening, only broke one tab.
I went with 17” as it seems to be somewhat universally used for off-road setups and gives a little more side wall than 18” wheels I had on stock. On the bracket, no the grill doesn’t have to come off, only the cowl on the support beam.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FINALLY got my rack. Now to paint it black this weekend. I’ll post up more pics once it’s done and I get my RTT mounted on it. Here she is all naked.

Ford Ranger HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build EB41BC11-F0E0-48B3-8117-C754AB739A5E

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Wow, @HoosierT , I love your build! Keep up the good work. I'm getting my Yakima Outpost rack on Monday and will start to address the lighting situation on my Ranger after installing it. Could you please show me the location and make and model of the light switches you said you mounted on the shifter tray? I've gone back and for on several locations and brands of switch boxes/panels and could use your advice on same.
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, @HoosierT , I love your build! Keep up the good work. I'm getting my Yakima Outpost rack on Monday and will start to address the lighting situation on my Ranger after installing it. Could you please show me the location and make and model of the light switches you said you mounted on the shifter tray? I've gone back and for on several locations and brands of switch boxes/panels and could use your advice on same.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the kind words! I’m using a Trigger 4 Plus. It’s a wireless system that prevents you from having to run any wires into the cab. It’s available from a number of places so I won’t link it, just search for it and find the best price.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you could that would be awesome! So the only place of concern is the fender lining? Do you have good clearance in full lock on the frame?
Hey Andy, I'm sorry that I totally forgot to do this for you. I'll grab you measurements when I get home from work today. I'll also grab some pics for you so you can get a better idea for where you're going to have clearance issues.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got the rack painted and put on. Only slightly intimidating drilling six holes through my bed rails but it’s done.
Ford Ranger HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build C2B156BA-1E52-44BA-A801-DD433900E0E6

Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Finally got the rack painted and put on. Only slightly intimidating drilling six holes through my bed rails but it’s done.
C2B156BA-1E52-44BA-A801-DD433900E0E6.jpeg
Hi Tyler,

Did you back up the bolts on the underside with anything larger than a lock washer? If so, please consider using a fender washer of good thickness.. This backs up the attachment and spreads the load on the box rail over a larger area of the sheetmetal.

Back Story,

I was directed to support the SEMA show in Las Vegas in 2001...I had funded a landspeed record attempt in a Ranger at Bonnieville Salt Flats and the company, Spall Electronics, the SEMA vendor broke the Pickup record at over 203 mph in a Ford Ranger.

Now, I am not a fan of Las Vegas, but an assignment is an assignment. There was my little Ranger, the record holder, for which I was very proud. The head of the organization of the Ford Booth came to me to report to a particular booth as the SEMA participants were unhappy with the Ranger. They has a fab company that made a ladder rack that bolted to the bed rails on the Ranger and they were complaining that this L shaped single side rail ladder holder broke around the attachment to the bed rail. So I went over there...the owners were less than polite to me as they demanded the pick up box be made of thicker sheet metal. So I looked at their design and felt under the box rail on their display Ranger and found only a nut and lock washer. I asked them if they considered backing up the lock washer and nut with a plate...They looked like a deer starring into headlights. By the time I was through discussing their poor design, they were humbled and discussing how to resolve...I suggest simple fender washers as a start and maybe simple plate of about 1/8" thickness. I told them to keep me in the loop, but I never heard from them again...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tyler,

Did you back up the bolts on the underside with anything larger than a lock washer? If so, please consider using a fender washer of good thickness.. This backs up the attachment and spreads the load on the box rail over a larger area of the sheetmetal.

Back Story,

I was directed to support the SEMA show in Las Vegas in 2001...I had funded a landspeed record attempt in a Ranger at Bonnieville Salt Flats and the company, Spall Electronics, the SEMA vendor broke the Pickup record at over 203 mph in a Ford Ranger.

Now, I am not a fan of Las Vegas, but an assignment is an assignment. There was my little Ranger, the record holder, for which I was very proud. The head of the organization of the Ford Booth came to me to report to a particular booth as the SEMA participants were unhappy with the Ranger. They has a fab company that made a ladder rack that bolted to the bed rails on the Ranger and they were complaining that this L shaped single side rail ladder holder broke around the attachment to the bed rail. So I went over there...the owners were less than polite to me as they demanded the pick up box be made of thicker sheet metal. So I looked at their design and felt under the box rail on their display Ranger and found only a nut and lock washer. I asked them if they considered backing up the lock washer and nut with a plate...They looked like a deer starring into headlights. By the time I was through discussing their poor design, they were humbled and discussing how to resolve...I suggest simple fender washers as a start and maybe simple plate of about 1/8" thickness. I told them to keep me in the loop, but I never heard from them again...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

Yes I did use a fender washer underneath. I used the largest diameter that would fit in the ~1” space. That is only temporary as I actually plan to use some aluminum bar in its place in the near future. I’ll likely use a 3” long section for each bolt so that I have a full 3 sq in of load distribution for each bolt which matches the 3” width on the aluminum tubing that makes up the rack itself.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Hi Phil,

Yes I did use a fender washer underneath. I used the largest diameter that would fit in the ~1” space. That is only temporary as I actually plan to use some aluminum bar in its place in the near future. I’ll likely use a 3” long section for each bolt so that I have a full 3 sq in of load distribution for each bolt which matches the 3” width on the aluminum tubing that makes up the rack itself.
:):):)

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s dark but I grabbed a pic of both the top and bottom. You’ll see that if I use a bar and drill my own holes off center, I can actually go a tad wider than what the washers allowed.
Ford Ranger HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build 03F3008E-C2BD-4E22-B755-93905A03CC2C
Ford Ranger HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build 0B194366-CD3D-40B4-A98A-5C11B87500A3

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
It’s dark but I grabbed a pic of both the top and bottom. You’ll see that if I use a bar and drill my own holes off center, I can actually go a tad wider than what the washers allowed.
03F3008E-C2BD-4E22-B755-93905A03CC2C.jpeg
0B194366-CD3D-40B4-A98A-5C11B87500A3.jpeg
Hi Tyler,

Great! Looks good...the aluminum plate will be better but you have done a great job in thinking ahead!:thumbsup:

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored