• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Horrible noise on cold start up of Ranger Raptor?

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
post pictures of your Raptor pls ordered the same color. sorry to hear you're having an issue
Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
Update: Ford said it is apparently a 'variable solenoid' fault.

A computer reprogram did nothing so the car is in for a few weeks to get fix.

That's disappointing on a brand-new car.

pyates999

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150
Occupation
Foreman
Could be the design of the oil system & how it drains back & needs to refill & pressurize those empty passages on initial startup. There is a very informative video on YouTube from Baxter Performance on this very subject.

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
mine does not sound like that on morning start up

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Update: Ford said it is apparently a 'variable solenoid' fault.

A computer reprogram did nothing so the car is in for a few weeks to get fix.

That's disappointing on a brand-new car.
IMO, I fairly sure that's part of the cam phaser issue. Know its frustrating but it will be FINE. Went thru the issue with the wife's expedition. All perfect now LONG after the issue. Ours ended up 6 week process due to parts availability. It's a fairly invasive fix. Here is a short video that will give you an idea

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
IMO, I fairly sure that's part of the cam phaser issue. Know its frustrating but it will be FINE. Went thru the issue with the wife's expedition. All perfect now LONG after the issue. Ours ended up 6 week process due to parts availability. It's a fairly invasive fix. Here is a short video that will give you an idea
Thank you for the insight. Your comments certainly provide some reassurance. thanks mate.

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
Latest update, Ford service have come back and said there is a major fault somewhere in the engine and the engine needs to come out of the car for further testing.

As the car is brand new I believe seeking a refund on the vehicle is warranted. When you invest in such a high performance vehicle, you don't want the engine taken out of the car and taken apart to diagnose and then put back in again.

has anyone else had anything similar in this model where they have been issued a new car or refund? thanks.

Mackie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Sounds identical to the cam phaser problem on F150 3.5L. Always on cold start, identical to your video. Had one set replaced on my 2011, and 2 sets replaced on my 2018 (the first replacements failed after 1 year). The root cause was identified with Cam Phaser part tolerancing at the supplier. Can't believe new vehicles (3.0L now) are still seeing this issue. Surprised the dealer thinks the engine needs to come out unless you can't get the timing cover and valve covers off in vehicle in a Ranger.

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
After two weeks got the car back today.
Turns out they did have to take the engine out of the car. VCT replaced. Variable camshaft. Brand new car, only 6 weeks old.

I feel this is totally unacceptable, such a major repair on a new car.
So many parts being removed and put back together.

now I have the car back, there feels like there may be a lag when accelerating where there wasn’t before. When you go to pull away and nothing happens for a second. I’m sure it was pretty instant power before?

Very disappointed, will be seeking action from Ford Australia.

Last edited:

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Understand your feelings and concern. Give it a little time for the trans and everything to relearn. Please keep us updated

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
Handed the keys back to Ford. Full refund on the car. Such a shame on what should be a great car. I cannot afford the unreliability.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hate it unfortunately worked out that way. Glad that you were mad whole on the entire purchase refund, etc.

So are you going to order a new one and anticipate all will be good with it or are you going to another manufacturer (Chevy/GMC/Toyota)? Just curious.

OP
OP
JimmyRR

JimmyRR

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2024
Hate it unfortunately worked out that way. Glad that you were mad whole on the entire purchase refund, etc.

So are you going to order a new one and anticipate all will be good with it or are you going to another manufacturer (Chevy/GMC/Toyota)? Just curious.
Back to Toyota - the reliability seem to be second to none.
Sponsored