• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

New Ranger Competition from GMC

Dr. Zaius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
That 2.7 turbo 4 will certainly light up the midsize truck category.

As if the Tacoma's wheezing 3.5/A6 combo wasn't already seriously outgunned by pretty much everything else, maybe this will wake Toyota up and we'll have some competitive midsize trucks again.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Quality Manager
About time the Canyon got a ZR2 equivalent. For about the last decade or so I've preferred the styling on the GMC twins over their Chevy counterparts. There's good stuff coming to the mid-size segment over the next couple of years and I'm glad to see it.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
About time the Canyon got a ZR2 equivalent. For about the last decade or so I've preferred the styling on the GMC twins over their Chevy counterparts. There's good stuff coming to the mid-size segment over the next couple of years and I'm glad to see it.
Completely agree. I almost bought a Canyon over my F150 because they are way better looking. Competition for Ford is okay with me :) more choices.

Sponsored

Mjet777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 limited
Occupation
Business owner CBD
Im buying whatever comes out first, canyon, Colorado, or Raptor
I don't blame ya. I don't think a person could go wrong with any as long as they bring the new full package that's expected out of them. I have wanted to get a ZR2 for a long time, but couldn't do it as the interior has been severely outdated for a long time for me to commit. I also didn't want to settle with the new Nissan Frontier because I know whats coming down the pipe with the ranger and Colorado.

Reactions: DHH

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I don't blame ya. I don't think a person could go wrong with any as long as they bring the new full package that's expected out of them. I have wanted to get a ZR2 for a long time, but couldn't do it as the interior has been severely outdated for a long time for me to commit. I also didn't want to settle with the new Nissan Frontier because I know whats coming down the pipe with the ranger and Colorado.
Yeah I was close to maybe doing the Frontier, but the interior is pretty terrible. Would rather just wait.

Mjet777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 limited
Occupation
Business owner CBD
Ya, I didn't want to settle either but the interior is leaps and bounds compared to the old model!

OP
OP
Fattirz in NC

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I agree, while the new Frontier is decent player for the present day field of midsize trucks… that in itself isn’t saying much. The entire segment is dated and in need of some attention.

I’m waiting until next year when we know what the latest offerings from GMC, Chevy, Ford and Toyota will look like. Competition raises the bar on the final product with regards to technology, reliability and value. I feel like the midsize market will soon get the attention we have all been hoping for!

Mjet777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 limited
Occupation
Business owner CBD
I agree, while the new Frontier is decent player for the present day field of midsize trucks… that in itself isn’t saying much. The entire segment is dated and in need of some attention.

I’m waiting until next year when we know what the latest offerings from GMC, Chevy, Ford and Toyota will look like. Competition raises the bar on the final product with regards to technology, reliability and value. I feel like the midsize market will soon get the attention we have all been hoping for!
Couldn't agree more!

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I agree completely. If GMC would have had the AT4x for the current model, I would have bought one. I personally think the Canyon (exterior wise) is the best looking midsize currently out.

That 2.7 turbo 4 will certainly light up the midsize truck category.
There has been some debate whether Ford will offer the 2.7l in the Ranger. I've never doubted it, and this is exactly why. Ford won't let GM have "best in class" power.
When I first heard that was the only engine GM was going to offer, being a lifelong V8 guy, I was horrified. Then I bought my Ranger and the 2.3l convinced me that 4 cylinders can indeed make good hp/tq. Much more than I ever thought. Now I'm excited that GM is using that engine.

For me, it's going to come down to who has the best interior options.....and it will probably come down to nit-pick items, as I'm sure they all will have most of what I want. Based on the AU Ranger, the new interior is vastly superior to the current one, but it doesn't look like Ford has memory seats, so that's one strike against it. It also doesn't have a Pano roof, but I don't suspect any mid-size will. However, based on the new Sierra and the teaser shots, it appears GM is going with the stick-on tablet style screen, which I hate. GM's doesn't look as bad as others, so it's only somewhat annoying, but I don't know why they wouldn't integrate it. That's one strike against GM.
Not going to consider the upcoming Tacoma, based on the interior of the new Tundra. I know it's personal preference, but IMO that interior is hideous.

I really, really, like the new Ranger, but regardless of my interior preferences, my gut tells me I will end up with an AT4x, only because I believe there will be ADM on the Raptor for quite a while, whereas I think I'll be able to get an AT4x for below MRSP by year two.

All that being said, I personally don't think the ZR2/AT4x will be a true competitor to the Raptor. The twins are much closer to a Tremor. The Raptor offers so much more.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
What's GMC's release date. What plant will it be manufactured in. Does the plant build other models a long side it. You may be able to get a GMC quicker then a Ranger once its manufactured.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
What's GMC's release date. What plant will it be manufactured in. Does the plant build other models a long side it. You may be able to get a GMC quicker then a Ranger once its manufactured.
At the bottom of the article.

Ford Ranger New Ranger Competition from GMC 1650294710218

Frosty 2019

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I was on the interstate and a Colorado came up to me. I put my truck in S. Hit the gas and the colorado was gone! It could not keep up.
I also outran a Camero! MY 2019 Ranger turbo is FAST!

RangerXL

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4wd
Occupation
Retired
So they GM, discontinued the 2.8 liter diesel option that would get +35 mpg Highway and high teens towing small camper.
With the new gas turbo 2.7 they will be in same boat I am?

Paying $5.00 for 93 octane and getting crap highway and towing mileage,
Ranger 2.3 Eco-Boost tows great but gets 12 mpg doing it @ 60 mph.

Unfortunately auto makers cannot predict or set energy policy and global supply/demand issues while planning future models.

Bring diesel Ranger to USlike rest of world has, lol.
Sponsored