• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
Those are exceptions. Very rare. Again, breathers are band aids for bad rings.
Breathers are not band aids for bad rings. Every internal combustion engine with rings has blow by, nothing rare about that at all. Breathers are merely another way of dealing with positive crankcase pressures and in our case, to keep all that gunk out of the intake.

Venting the crankcase to the atmosphere, via a breather, means fumes in the engine bay. Sure, old school racer folks do it and it works, but there is no getting around the vapors, they are there.

The only question here is how much under the hood vapor is acceptable to the user.

The breathers with the filter caps are better than the dump tubes used in the 1950's and 1960's. Those just dumped the oil onto the highway... but the end result is the same..... and that's why PVC systems were invented.. to deal with those fumes.
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Breathers are not band aids for bad rings. Every internal combustion engine with rings has blow by, nothing rare about that at all. Breathers are merely another way of dealing with positive crankcase pressures and in our case, to keep all that gunk out of the intake.

Venting the crankcase to the atmosphere, via a breather, means fumes in the engine bay. Sure, old school racer folks do it and it works, but there is no getting around the vapors, they are there.

The only question here is how much under the hood vapor is acceptable to the user.

The breathers with the filter caps are better than the dump tubes used in the 1950's and 1960's. Those just dumped the oil onto the highway... but the end result is the same..... and that's why PVC systems were invented.. to deal with those fumes.
A proper working pcv system and the breather side of the system helps create a vacuum in the crankcase which helps with ring seal. That's why we run vacuum pumps on race cars. Most modern engines should not be experiencing that much blowby to warrant a open breather cap. Technology has come a long way since the 50's and 60's.

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A proper working pcv system and the breather side of the system helps create a vacuum in the crankcase which helps with ring seal. That's why we run vacuum pumps on race cars. Most modern engines should not be experiencing that much blowby to warrant a open breather cap. Technology has come a long way since the 50's and 60's.
Can we focus on the topic of this thread? We aren't talking about race cars with vacuum pumps that help the rings seal... what we are talking about is production vehicles. all of which have blow by, and people who retrofit a system by putting breathers on them.

Your statement of "Breathers are band aids for bad rings" is just flat out wrong in the application at hand.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Can we focus on the topic of this thread? We aren't talking about race cars with vacuum pumps that help the rings seal... what we are talking about is production vehicles. all of which have blow by, and people who retrofit a system by putting breathers on them.

Your statement of "Breathers are band aids for bad rings" is just flat out wrong in the application at hand.
I guess your missed the part where i said a properly functioning closed system helps with ring seal. And modern engines just simply don't have the amount of blowby engines did 60 years ago. And that doesn't mean I'm saying there is no blowby. hen start another thread for open breather caps since this is about oil catch cans I guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Hey y’all, went with the Mishimoto catch can after researching catch cans for awhile. Needless to say I’m sold on them. Here’s what I caught after only 1000 miles of the can on my Sport XLT ranger.

16E06BE8-0717-4B8B-9B22-BAC92E59CC70.jpeg

340BA5FC-4148-42A5-B1DF-7DE04B099947.jpeg
Giving another update after 1500 more miles with the catch can. Noticed more carbon on the bottom of the can, especially when I transferred it to the glass jug. Just more food for thought for those on the fence about buying one.

Ford Ranger Oil Catch Can. Yes or No? B5671D57-BC05-47F2-8613-AEAF18050456

Reactions: Doc

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast; 1988 BMW 528e with euro M kit
The next thing to do here would be a carbon deposit experiment, putting the residue from the catch can and (in a well ventilated area) heat it up to about 210ÂşF until the liquid evaporates and see what is left after that. That will give you an idea of what will be coating your intake valves....

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The next thing to do here would be a carbon deposit experiment, putting the residue from the catch can and (in a well ventilated area) heat it up to about 210ÂşF until the liquid evaporates and see what is left after that. That will give you an idea of what will be coating your intake valves....
Like a volatility test? Ford's Synthetic Blend isn't stellar....

Ford Ranger Oil Catch Can. Yes or No? Test Data

Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast; 1988 BMW 528e with euro M kit
not exactly, I was talking about a residue analysis of the substances collected in the catch can to get an idea of carbon build up; I realize not all will end up on the valves because it is intended to be burnt along with the fuel mixture

Tim H.

First Name
Tim (TJ)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 RAV4 , 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired IT tech
All this talk about a catch can, won’t a can of fuel system treatment added a few times a year prevent excessive carbon build up on the valves etc?

Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
All this talk about a catch can, won’t a can of fuel system treatment added a few times a year prevent excessive carbon build up on the valves etc?
The injectors are in the combustion chamber.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
I just got an update regarding the Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator for the Ranger that has been in development for quite a while. The design has been completed and they have a quote out to their supplier.
However, due to the COVID-19 issue causing delays, it might take a few months to produce.
This is supposed to be a dual system (PCV/CCV), like the system for the ecoboost Mustang.

Tim H.

First Name
Tim (TJ)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 RAV4 , 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired IT tech
Good video on the Ford Performance Mustang version catch can.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
When they start putting a 5.0L in the Ranger I'll get one.