• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
They come in 2.3 L EcoBoost I4 as well.
Yup and I bought it... but it doesn’t fit the ranger. ? For the 2.3L mustang, Ford makes 2 the Pcv and CCV side. I bought the CCV side (turbo side) but it doesn’t fit the ranger and can’t easily be made to do so, therefore I had to send it back.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
They come in 2.3 L EcoBoost I4 as well.
Link: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST OIL-AIR SEPARATOR LH

And this is stated
WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.​

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
“Link: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST OIL-AIR SEPARATOR LH

And this is stated
WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.”

I understand why this might dissuade some from installing the Ford system, but I don’t see how they can point to this for a warrantee denial. It is designed by Ford engineers to keep the blow-by crud out of the intake system! I personally do all my own maintenance and if I were to suspect that there could be an issue in bringing the truck in for a warrantee item, I would simply un-plug it and re-connect the original lines.
I am anxiously awaiting its arrival for sale on the Ford Performance site for my ordered Ranger that is due in at my dealer tomorrow.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It is designed by Ford engineers to keep the blow-by crud out of the intake system!
To be clear, the reason Ford is selling this product is because they think enough people will buy it that Ford can make a profit.

Tim H.

First Name
Tim (TJ)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 RAV4 , 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired IT tech
“Link: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST OIL-AIR SEPARATOR LH

And this is stated
WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.”

I understand why this might dissuade some from installing the Ford system, but I don’t see how they can point to this for a warrantee denial. It is designed by Ford engineers to keep the blow-by crud out of the intake system! I personally do all my own maintenance and if I were to suspect that there could be an issue in bringing the truck in for a warrantee item, I would simply un-plug it and re-connect the original lines.
I am anxiously awaiting its arrival for sale on the Ford Performance site for my ordered Ranger that is due in at my dealer tomorrow.
“Competition use only” ?
Costs a lot of money & red tape to get it CARB certified. They obviously know the DI design creates valve carbon build-up.

Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
“To be clear, the reason Ford is selling this product is because they think enough people will buy it that Ford can make a profit.”

We are all welcome to our own opinions. I for one feel that there are numerous ways for Ford to make profits without expending as much effort in design and testing as has been done on this dual system (PCV/CCV).

2020 FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'm new to this forum ... Like just today ... Just bought a 2020 Ranger Lariat. I was surprised to see a thread about "catch cans". Not because I don't think they're needed, just because I never thought about it. I have lots of experience with "Catch Cans" on Harleys. For probably 15 years, I have added a can to all my Harleys. My current ride is a 2014 Harley Tri Glide and it was one of the first things I did to it. I guess I didn't think about it on my Ranger (or any other non Harley) was because these vehicles are water cooled, yada yada yada.

So why do it on a Harley? I was getting oily residue coming. out of the air cleaners. Figured if there's enough oil vapor going into the intake that it dribbles out the bottom of the air cleaner, How good could that be for the pistons and injectors?

I do 4,000 mile engine oil changes on my Harley and get about a teaspoon of oily residue out of the can. Having seen the amount some are getting from the Ranger Catch Cans, I'll be looking into doing this. Do I believe it's an "Essential Fix"? No more than I believe "Pot Shops" in my home state of Colorado are "Essential Businesses".

So here's my point. Add a can, don't add a can, it's all about preference. But food for thought, if you can eliminate a 1/4 cup or so of oily residue from the intake of the valves every 1000 miles or so, why not? Internal combustion engines run best when they breath clean cool air. Or has that changed too!

As for the "extra maintenance", how tough would it be to put a jar under the can drain line, open the valve, drink some coffee and when it quits draining shut the valve again? I'm guessing the cans are large enough to go a full 3-10k miles depending on how often you change the oil. Most mechanics (if you don't do your own) will do the drain at oil change if you tell them you have the can and they need to.

Txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Ranger FX4, 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
I have been running a Mishimoto catch can on my 2019 Ranger since 20K, now have 37K. When I purchase a 2023 Ranger, it will be getting a catch can installed day 1 for sure!
Sponsored