• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Other Twin-Turbocharged 3.0L V6 EcoBoost Engines

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
So the Explorer and a couple Lincoln models have this motor which one could assume is the same as in the Raptor. I can’t find any posts about swapping this motor into our Rangers but am at least somewhat sure it is the same motor, and it has presumably the same transmission. Now that my dreams of a Raptor are pretty much up in smoke I was wondering why wouldn’t this swap be feasible? Have searched the Forums and if there is experience/applicable threads here I have missed them.
Sponsored

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
You would probably have to spend a small fortune to even think about a successful transplant. We are talking two complete dimensionally sized engines and components on a modern vehicle. This isn't like when grandpa swapped motors in his old classic car that has enough room under the hood to put a jet engine, much less no technology that had to be wired to it.

There is however a 5G ranger with a V8 coyote motor swapped into it out there (just search on YouTube). Again, probably cost a small fortune.

RapVillin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
business owner
So the Explorer and a couple Lincoln models have this motor which one could assume is the same as in the Raptor. I can’t find any posts about swapping this motor into our Rangers but am at least somewhat sure it is the same motor, and it has presumably the same transmission. Now that my dreams of a Raptor are pretty much up in smoke I was wondering why wouldn’t this swap be feasible? Have searched the Forums and if there is experience/applicable threads here I have missed them.
Why giving up on thr raptor

OP
OP
Richard Conley

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why giving up on thr raptor
Not giving up, actually order one yesterday - we'll see :) got to pick my options including leaving off the bed side decals, I have a "valuable" piece of paper to prove it. As with most my dealer had an allocation of one.

RaptorFP

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sonata N Line
The Raptor is not just the engine either. It's also a Raptor specific suspension, wider track, exterior details. There's so much more that goes in to it aside from the 3.0TT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Richard Conley

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Raptor is not just the engine either. It's also a Raptor specific suspension, wider track, exterior details. There's so much more that goes in to it aside from the 3.0TT.
Yup all that is the price one has to pay for the engine - you can keep the rest, I'd take a supercab Lariat if I could get the 3.0 in spite of the ugly front end.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
2.7 has my interest. Add a tune if so desired. It’s a solid motor with a good history. I can wait and I will. $$$ will be a factor. The Raptor is more than I need, a Tremor might be my middle ground.

OP
OP
Richard Conley

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 has my interest. Add a tune if so desired. It’s a solid motor with a good history. I can wait and I will. $$$ will be a factor. The Raptor is more than I need, a Tremor might be my middle ground.
For sure - the 2024 non-Raptor front end just puts me off a bit and with my tune and Borla I already have the HP of the stock 2.7 on mine, but certainly there will be a tune and probably is one for other applications of the motor.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
The engines are absolutely not the same, the Raptor uses a Compacted Graphite Iron block, as per the 2.7, whereas the 3L in the Explorer is all Aluminum. This ignores all the detail differences in the bolt ons etc.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350 and 2022 Ford Escape
Put a good 5Star tune on the 2.7 and save your money trying to stick a 3.0 in it.

Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
The engines are absolutely not the same, the Raptor uses a Compacted Graphite Iron block, as per the 2.7, whereas the 3L in the Explorer is all Aluminum. This ignores all the detail differences in the bolt ons etc.
This is partially incorrect. The 3.0L EB in the Explorer ST, KR, and Platinum is a Compacted Graphite Iron Block just the same as the Ranger Raptor and Braptor. It’s essentially just a Twin Turbocharged Duratec engine. This engine originates from the 2.7L TT that originally premiered on Lincoln models, essentially bored out and turned. I do not know if the 2.7L that’s in the Ranger is the same as that Lincoln engine, but I suspect it’s very close. What is different between all three platforms seems to be related to the tuning and maybe some minor mechanical details. I know that the Explorer ST has been tunable for a while, while the BRaptor only has limited tuning available, and the global RRaptor only seems to have a plug in box available (JB4). Ford also confirmed that the RRaptor coming up -9HP short of the BRaptor essentially is the result of the longer exhaust system length in the RRaptor. Ford has a performance tune for that 3.0 for the Explorer ST, but I have my doubts as to whether they’ll do that for the RRaptor and BRaptor.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is partially incorrect. The 3.0L EB in the Explorer ST, KR, and Platinum is a Compacted Graphite Iron Block just the same as the Ranger Raptor and Braptor. It’s essentially just a Twin Turbocharged Duratec engine. This engine originates from the 2.7L TT that originally premiered on Lincoln models, essentially bored out and turned.
I recall at the BRaptor launch Ford made a big deal about the 3L now being CGI, not aluminium as per the Explorer etc. Yet there are conflicting sources as to if the Explorer version etc was aluminium. The 2.7 is absolutely CGI and they never did a aluminium version of that engine. I stand to be corrected if it never was an Al 3L. I also believe the Nano family engines were clean sheets, not based on any previous engine family.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do not know if the 2.7L that’s in the Ranger is the same as that Lincoln engine, but I suspect it’s very close. What is different between all three platforms seems to be related to the tuning and maybe some minor mechanical details.
Given that Ford love to redesign engines every time the wind changes, I'd say that nowhere near enough components will be common across the platforms. Heck, the 3L Powerstroke has a completely different block in the Ranger to the F-150, as well as all the ancillaries being different.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I recall at the BRaptor launch Ford made a big deal about the 3L now being CGI, not aluminium as per the Explorer etc. Yet there are conflicting sources as to if the Explorer version etc was aluminium. The 2.7 is absolutely CGI and they never did a aluminium version of that engine. I stand to be corrected if it never was an Al 3L. I also believe the Nano family engines were clean sheets, not based on any previous engine family.
I got my info from the Ford website

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/explorer-st/

I am very active in the Explorer forums and this is something that has never come up to my recollection. So, I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying I think it’s always been CGI and that overall it should be 95% the same engine. If there’s something out there that disagrees, then please let me know so I can correct myself.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Given that Ford love to redesign engines every time the wind changes, I'd say that nowhere near enough components will be common across the platforms. Heck, the 3L Powerstroke has a completely different block in the Ranger to the F-150, as well as all the ancillaries being different.
Yeah, I mean, I’m not trying to imply that you could just yank an Ex ST engine out and plop it in a Raptor and have it work. All I’m saying is that it’s not a whole new engine. Rather an existing engine with whatever modifications Ford felt necessary for each application. In fact the Ford engine guys even said in interviews that it’s tuned to provide maximum HP at redline due to it’s “Baja racing” intention so there are very likely tuning changes because I doubt an Ex is intended to drive wide open. Likely changes in accessories as well to accommodate the different engine bay.

Either way I think it’s great. Over the four model years that the sixth Gen has been pretty good as far as the engine. Most of the sixth Gen problems are not engine related. I think you’ll still need to worry about blow by like any DI engine but that can be mitigated by a catch can. I’d say we’re more likely to see transmission troubles than engine troubles in the aggregate.
Sponsored