• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Raptor - 35’s

OP
OP

Labradorguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
What I don't understand is the argument of the 33's due to travel. As a new gen they had the option to increase the wheel arch on the front fenders to allow for 35's to clear the fenders at full compression.

The power is there to even push 37's easily, (bfg ko2 37's load range C are the same weight as 35's and lighter than most Mud Terrain 35's) so it's a bit of a head scratcher for me. Is the RR using 4.10 gears?

borfoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Raptor, 2015 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
I’m surprised with no sway bar disconnect in Raptor. 35s I bet they have an add on package for that to the Raptor.
We run mostly sand dunes and high speed in our area where we spend a few days out in the desert.

Last year I tested the Bronco badlands sasquatch (35 tires) with the sway bar disconnect. Off road capability was generally very good with some minor cons from my personal observation.

Biggest issue happened with the sway bar disconnect function. After a bit of a rough tun, it seems we managed to damage something in the sway bar mechanism (along with a subsequent error message, and limp mode) while it was disconnected.

It was a major pain to drive back in deep sand as you cannot change drive modes or disable traction control, which renders the vehicle almost useless in sand. Vehicle was practically brand new and in its first major trip offroad.

Long story short, since the Ranger Raptor is marketed as the high speed offroad truck, I would never have bought it if it had the electronic sway bar disconnects.

Sponsored

borfoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Raptor, 2015 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
Also I noticed the Ranger Raptor on stock tires and 80 liter fuel tank , the fuel range is not that great. Can't imagine how bad the range is with 35 tires on the Ranger Raptor and a small tank.

I'm getting 15 l/100km (~16mpg) cruising on a flat highway doing a steady 122km/h (~75mph) on the speedo. Add city traffic, 4WD, or more spirited driving and these fuel figures change very rapidly to the worse.

At least the F-150 Raptor got a 30% bigger fuel tank vs standard F-150 to compensate the losses from the factory mods.

CrookedLetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Bronco Sport First Edition
Occupation
Service Manager
One of the reasons for keeping the RR on 33's was suspension travel according to the Ford performance chief engineer.

I honestly think part of it is the Porsche complex, the reason why the Cayman was always held back. Cant start outshining the Raptor. I mean the Braptor was in the works and Ford designed a 37" package for the Raptor. Maybe not the whole reason, the ZR2 may change this with the Bison could also be for a possible Ranger Raptor R, or just like the Raptor now, offer two packages.

Ford doesn't have a Gladiator, this is kind of the only option for people who want to bigger not F150 Overland rig. I think you will see 35's from the factory in like two years on a RR.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
37’s

Too much, or just right?
I honestly think part of it is the Porsche complex, the reason why the Cayman was always held back. Cant start outshining the Raptor. I mean the Braptor was in the works and Ford designed a 37" package for the Raptor. Maybe not the whole reason, the ZR2 may change this with the Bison could also be for a possible Ranger Raptor R, or just like the Raptor now, offer two packages.

Ford doesn't have a Gladiator, this is kind of the only option for people who want to bigger not F150 Overland rig. I think you will see 35's from the factory in like two years on a RR.
I’d like to see a replacement shock kit like Fox makes for the Gen2 FRaptor (Fox Factory Race series). Adds a couple inches of lift and travel and lets you clear larger tires.

CrookedLetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service Manager
I’d like to see a replacement shock kit like Fox makes for the Gen2 FRaptor (Fox Factory Race series). Adds a couple inches of lift and travel and lets you clear larger tires.
I hope the aftermarket will be pretty good for this platform and reasonably Quick. Electronically adjustable suspension is something you don't really want to give up if you don't have to. The FFR series would be epic especially in a 3.0 version .

I think you read my mind in my optimal suspension upgrade for this truck lol. I wouldn't mind dropping the live valve and doing something like Kings but the adjustability with the drive modes for a vehicle that I will daily drive, once you have it, its hard to give up.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I hope the aftermarket will be pretty good for this platform and reasonably Quick. Electronically adjustable suspension is something you don't really want to give up if you don't have to. The FFR series would be epic especially in a 3.0 version .

I think you read my mind in my optimal suspension upgrade for this truck lol. I wouldn't mind dropping the live valve and doing something like Kings but the adjustability with the drive modes for a vehicle that I will daily drive, once you have it, its hard to give up.
I’m sure there will be shock spacers which I have no problem with but I’m not doing that until someone offers a revalving service.

Sponsored

ThickGatorade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor

What’s frustrating is how capable the chassis DNA is for the Ranger Raptor and it can’t even get 35’s out of the factory while the Bronco Raptor was retrofitted with F-150 Raptor front brakes/hubs/knuckles/suspension/wheels. They lightly revised the unique frame for the 1st gen Ranger Raptor to the latest standards but other than that there weren't any significant changes made to even try to fit 35's.

I guess we can only hope that once they get these in full scale production they will have a "35 Performance Package". I really hope we don't have to wait until 2026 for the R model just to get factory 35's. It seems silly that RR's don't even compete with the stance of a Bronco with Sasquatch. Just feels very low effort on the chassis considering they're sister products.

CrookedLetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service Manager
What’s frustrating is how capable the chassis DNA is for the Ranger Raptor and it can’t even get 35’s out of the factory while the Bronco Raptor was retrofitted with F-150 Raptor front brakes/hubs/knuckles/suspension/wheels. They lightly revised the unique frame for the 1st gen Ranger Raptor to the latest standards but other than that there weren't any significant changes made to even try to fit 35's.

I guess we can only hope that once they get these in full scale production they will have a "35 Performance Package". I really hope we don't have to wait until 2026 for the R model just to get factory 35's. It seems silly that RR's don't even compete with the stance of a Bronco with Sasquatch. Just feels very low effort on the chassis considering they're sister products.
100% why I think a little sandbagging went on. Being a Ford Performance product I expect a little more. 33's arent bad, Rubicons still come with them, but even the Tremor has 32's. This some what reminds me of the excuses we got for the RS and cannibalizing Mustang sales, two different vehicles Ford. A lot of the guys around me specifically don't have a Raptor or Braptor because they are too wide, and put 37s on a Badlands. The RR should fill that spot, especially for Overlanding where a Bronco just doesn't have the cargo capacity (why the Gladiator is so popular). May just have to be patient, I mean the good side we are finally getting the RR and it's not forbidden fruit anymore.

ThickGatorade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
100% why I think a little sandbagging went on. Being a Ford Performance product I expect a little more. 33's arent bad, Rubicons still come with them, but even the Tremor has 32's. This some what reminds me of the excuses we got for the RS and cannibalizing Mustang sales, two different vehicles Ford. A lot of the guys around me specifically don't have a Raptor or Braptor because they are too wide, and put 37s on a Badlands. The RR should fill that spot, especially for Overlanding where a Bronco just doesn't have the cargo capacity (why the Gladiator is so popular). May just have to be patient, I mean the good side we are finally getting the RR and it's not forbidden fruit anymore.
I agree it seems like they focused solely on the top hat for the new trucks. Don’t get me wrong they look great but it’s just funny to see how truly different the entire feel of the new Ranger is compared to a Bronco when they are built on the same chassis layout. I know the Ranger is a “mid-size truck” but the Bronco just feels so much better and roomy. Definitely nitpicking but the Maverick and Ranger share the same cab dimensions save for a few inches.

Rangeover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
I know exactly how to put 35s on this.

First of all, it’s been proven in multiple videos that you want at least +25mm offset for minimal rubbing.
Second, all the videos with 35s on youtube are true 35in tires. I am perfectly happy with « false » 35s (think 34.4in) 315/70/17 like KO2s or Territory MT. This + the right offset will guarantee 0 rubbing.
Third, the main issue is weight. Good news is my proposed setup will be lighter than stock + 33s.

Perfect setup:
- RTR Tech 6 wheels 9x17 with +30 offset. Those are the lightest wheels in the world in this price range at 22lbs. That‘s about 15lbs less per wheel than bronco stock wheels. Source RTR: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rtr-evo-6-wheels.55249/

- Territory MT 315/70/17 tires. I have those on my Bronco, they have incredible all around traction including on snow but the best is those are the lightest 35s in the world by far. In fact they weight pretty much the same as 33in KO2, and much much less than any other 35in tire out there.

There you have it, substantially lighter setup than stock 33s no to minimal rubbing stock and guaranteed no rubbing with a level kit spring.

KO3 weight remains to be seen. Because the Tech 6 wheels are so light, I guess 315/70/17 KO3s with those wheels should equal the weight of stock wheels + 33s and work fine, but distribution will be different (more weight on the tire, less on the wheel, so that’s worst in term of acceleration and braking).

People who put monsterly heavy tires on their vehicle break my heart. Some of those 35s like Nitto tires are 25lbs more per tire than my Territory. Thats 125lbs of payload lost, and a massive amount of added rotational mass that will kill MPG, acceleration and breaking alike, while stressing components more. Ridiculous.
I rock crawl, go 70mph on baja style terrain all over Utah and never had a flat with thousands of offroad miles on the territory, so clearly the added weight is not justified in any way.

CrookedLetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service Manager
I know exactly how to put 35s on this.

First of all, it’s been proven in multiple videos that you want at least +25mm offset for minimal rubbing.
Second, all the videos with 35s on youtube are true 35in tires. I am perfectly happy with « false » 35s (think 34.4in) 315/70/17 like KO2s or Territory MT. This + the right offset will guarantee 0 rubbing.
Third, the main issue is weight. Good news is my proposed setup will be lighter than stock + 33s.

Perfect setup:
- RTR Tech 6 wheels 9x17 with +30 offset. Those are the lightest wheels in the world in this price range at 22lbs. That‘s about 15lbs less per wheel than bronco stock wheels. Source RTR: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rtr-evo-6-wheels.55249/

- Territory MT 315/70/17 tires. I have those on my Bronco, they have incredible all around traction including on snow but the best is those are the lightest 35s in the world by far. In fact they weight pretty much the same as 33in KO2, and much much less than any other 35in tire out there.

There you have it, substantially lighter setup than stock 33s no to minimal rubbing stock and guaranteed no rubbing with a level kit spring.

KO3 weight remains to be seen. Because the Tech 6 wheels are so light, I guess 315/70/17 KO3s with those wheels should equal the weight of stock wheels + 33s and work fine, but distribution will be different (more weight on the tire, less on the wheel, so that’s worst in term of acceleration and braking).

People who put monsterly heavy tires on their vehicle break my heart. Some of those 35s like Nitto tires are 25lbs more per tire than my Territory. Thats 125lbs of payload lost, and a massive amount of added rotational mass that will kill MPG, acceleration and breaking alike, while stressing components more. Ridiculous.
I rock crawl, go 70mph on baja style terrain all over Utah and never had a flat with thousands of offroad miles on the territory, so clearly the added weight is not justified in any way.
Well said, Loving this idea.

Another Key to this is the Damper tuning and keeping the Unsprung weight as close to stock as possible.
Sponsored