• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Raptor Ground Clearance vs The Competition

CherryCoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 ranger, 94explor, 16 Focus RS, 21 Bronco, 24 RR
Occupation
Drinking CherryCoke
Last edited:

Mikknj

First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT Cactus Grey

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
I'm surprised it has better approach/departure against the ZR2 Bison, I wonder if the ZR2 has the winch?

Either way pretty cool that it looks like its one of the most capable trucks on the market from this regard.

Also surprising that it has better water fording than the F150 Raptor.

Climber

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco base SAS
Occupation
Field engineer
I’m pretty sure the ZR2 Bison is the previous model year. The 2024 sits on 35s in Bison trim.

Sponsored

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
interesting info, thanks for sharing.

GManGeno

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
I’m pretty sure the ZR2 Bison is the previous model year. The 2024 sits on 35s in Bison trim.
I love to see charts like the above but I do question the general accuracy since the numbers for the RR are all wrong. I know, the associated article is all about how great the Rivian's numbers are compared to the rest, so I guess the point has been made. I only validated the RR numbers, but what other numbers are off, like potentially the Bison?

Picture shows RR:
Ground Clearance: 11.1
Approach Angle: 32.5
Departure Angle: 24.0
Breakover angle: 24.0

Ford RR specs from Ford website:
Ground Clearance: 10.7
Approach Angle: 33.0
Departure Angle: 26.4
Breakover angle: 24.2

I am not a motor head, just a techy who loves to crunch the numbers. So when I find information like the water fording number, I find it interesting since I can't find that information from the 2024 Ford Ranger spec doc nor can I find it in the 2024 Ranger owners manual, and yes I read the manuals. You would be amazed at the 'easter eggs' you can sometimes find.
Maybe there is another 'system of record' that has this information, and if so I would love to gain access to it. Like many of you who consume every bit of news, I too have been scouring the web looking for any tidbit about our missing Rangers, so when i see stuff like the aforementioned charts, I am very interested.

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Nice bit of information - thanks for posting.

ROW Ranger Raptors are quoted at 850mm fording depth which is in line with the 33.5" in the above data. The air intake is at the top of the grill facing forward so I wouldn't be going for the bow-wave method of water crossing otherwise you'll drown it long before you get to 850mm of water depth.

From experience (off-road) I'd say the biggest limiting factor for RR is the breakover angle. Those side steps scrape all over the place. Rock sliders and 285 75R17 tyres on the standard rims will help in that regard.
Sponsored