• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Raptor Exclusives?

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Yes, you are quite correct, every other Ranger has a 3,500kg tow capacity while RR is 2,500kg. Payload and GVM are also down accordingly - I think my RR has around 700kg payload once GVM and kerb weight are considered.
If you favour load carrying capacity over off-road capability then I would definitely recommend one of the other Ranger specs. In Aus, we have a specification called the Wildtrack X which is a regular Ranger slightly lifted with uprated springs/shocks and all-terrain tyres from the factory (and a fancy load carrying solution). I think something like this would suit your requirements better. Unfortunately this spec. only comes with the 2lt diesel engine not the 3lt Lion V6 diesel. Your equivalent will obviously be one of the eco-boost petrol powerplants.
👍 I'd like a Tremor, when Ford gives us one. I can make my own Tremor-esque truck with Ford Accessories and aftermarket parts when they're available as well
Sponsored

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
The driving experience is undoubtedly different, but I'm looking for a truck that can do what I want it to do. I know probably a dozen guys with F150 Raptors and not one has been rallied Baja-style.... most are pavement princesses. My trucks aren't pavement princesses, but I don't Baja either.

The wider track is not always desirable, such as for narrow trails. The Raptor suspension is not always desirable, such as for overlanding with a truck-full of gear or for towing a SxS to hunt somewhere.

The payload is hundreds of pounds less than the non-Raptor and the towing limit is thousands of pounds less than the non-Raptor.

The expected fuel range for the Raptor is 345 miles (20.3 gals times 17 combined mpg), for the non-Raptor it is 413 miles (18.8 gal times 22 combined mpg). I don't want to have to carry extra fuel.

As my handle suggests, I'm looking for a hunting rig. My 2019 Ranger FX4 with a Ford Performance lift and a few other upgrades is about perfect. The Ranger Raptor is far from a good off-road trail rig for me.

I also had a 5G Ranger and I didn't get anywhere near 413 miles on a tank though maybe the new tanks are bigger? I was under the impression they were the same size except for the Raptor.

As for the other things you mentioned, I figure by the time you upgrade a standard Ranger or a Tremor with bigger wheels and the off-road prowess you'd be looking for, I doubt the mileage will be that much better than the Raptor.

Towing and payload capacities are a concern, however. I've seen people do aftermarket airbags for their F150 Raptors and I'll bet we'll see something similar with the Ranger Raptor. A set of airbags could greatly increase towing and payload and you'd already have the bigger engine to handle it.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
As for the other things you mentioned, I figure by the time you upgrade a standard Ranger or a Tremor with bigger wheels and the off-road prowess you'd be looking for, I doubt the mileage will be that much better than the Raptor.
Possibly, only time will tell. My current Ranger with the Ford Performance lift and taller KO2s and a shell loaded with gear got 20.5mpg over 831 miles on our trip last weekend. That's driving there and back and the rest of the time on trails hunting sheep.

We won't know how that compares to the 2024 trucks until they're here, but I'm confident the Raptor won't get those numbers.

Ford Ranger Raptor Exclusives? 20231211_233516

Ford Ranger Raptor Exclusives? 20231209_094406

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Yes, you are quite correct, every other Ranger has a 3,500kg tow capacity while RR is 2,500kg. Payload and GVM are also down accordingly - I think my RR has around 700kg payload once GVM and kerb weight are considered.
If you favour load carrying capacity over off-road capability then I would definitely recommend one of the other Ranger specs. In Aus, we have a specification called the Wildtrack X which is a regular Ranger slightly lifted with uprated springs/shocks and all-terrain tyres from the factory (and a fancy load carrying solution). I think something like this would suit your requirements better. Unfortunately this spec. only comes with the 2lt diesel engine not the 3lt Lion V6 diesel. Your equivalent will obviously be one of the eco-boost petrol powerplants.
I really like that Wildtrak X but we can't get it here in the US. The trail turn assist ( can't remember if that is what it's called) is a pretty neat feature for getting around tight corners.

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I really like that Wildtrak X but we can't get it here in the US. The trail turn assist ( can't remember if that is what it's called) is a pretty neat feature for getting around tight corners.
Eventually you will be able to add trail turn assist to any of the Rangers... I can see some of the parameters to enable it for the Raptor when I inspect the configuration using Forscan but it will no doubt take someone a bit of messing around to get the configuration to work.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also had a 5G Ranger and I didn't get anywhere near 413 miles on a tank though maybe the new tanks are bigger? I was under the impression they were the same size except for the Raptor.
The 6G non-raptor tank is slightly larger than the 5G. 18.0gal vs 18.8gal
Sponsored