• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Raptor J Brace Install

StillwaterRaptor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor Cactus Grey
Just thought of this for those embarking on the project. Just remove the wheel. Gives you so much more space and ensures you can get the drill square, etc. it’s an extra 5 minutes and requires jack and jackstands but just do it.
Also jacking it up by the frame, my 21” floor jack couldn’t get the tire off the ground. Articulation has a downside too.
Sponsored

snowmanoz

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Spoke with Ford customer service after my dealer indicated they did not feel comfortable installing the J-Braces. Ford rep basically took notes for my complaint, they were kind enough to explain Ford does not own the dealerships and that it was within the dealers rights to decline any customization work, and it's not covered under my warranty.

When I explained the work involved installing a Ford Part on a Ford Truck to enable me to carry kayaks on my very expensive truck........all I got was a "that makes sense but I cannot speak for the dealers" response.

The next suggestion was to try another dealer. While that may be a solution, it fundamentally rubs me the wrong way and this new relationship with the Ford brand has now taken a few steps back.

Venting into the internet is very calming........ :cool:

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
Doesn't Ford have basically pre-established rates for installation of accessories like the J-Brace? On the Ford accessories website you can add installation to the order of the brackets for $192. I'd be willing to bet the dealer thinks the install isn't worth the $192, so they just decline to do it.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
I can understand the Service side not wanting to do it to a point. But any dealership with a competent body shop should be more than capable enough; this seems more like their line of work.

I used some of my FordPass points to purchase my braces but they are on backorder. I asked the dealership that was looking into my AC issue about installing them and they're looking into it. They noticed my tonneau cover and asked if I bought it through Ford since they read the bulletin that the braces and install would be covered under warranty if the cover was purchased through Ford. And that's the part that sucks, I did not get it through Ford but my cover is one of the exact same covers rebranded on Ford's site at a $1000 markup (or something). So waiting on the Service manager to decide. If not, well I like working on my own truck anyways.

I do agree though, this is a really shitty situation Ford has stuck everyone in.

a77cj7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ranger
Just thought of this for those embarking on the project. Just remove the wheel. Gives you so much more space and ensures you can get the drill square, etc. it’s an extra 5 minutes and requires jack and jackstands but just do it.
Also jacking it up by the frame, my 21” floor jack couldn’t get the tire off the ground. Articulation has a downside too.
I chose not to remove the wheel, so the wheel well liner would sit on it and not bend farther than necessary. I didn’t want to drill the rear rivets to completely remove the liner.

My floor jack shows a 24” lift, and had no problem lifting the tire while under the frame lower control arm mount.

Sponsored

KarateMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
I'm just shoacked that Ford engineers let a truck that can't support over 90lbs on the bed rails go into production. This should absolutely be a recall or warranty job. I mean what truck can't support a topper? Was this a limitation on the 5th gen?

snowmanoz

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
I can understand the Service side not wanting to do it to a point. But any dealership with a competent body shop should be more than capable enough; this seems more like their line of work.

I used some of my FordPass points to purchase my braces but they are on backorder. I asked the dealership that was looking into my AC issue about installing them and they're looking into it. They noticed my tonneau cover and asked if I bought it through Ford since they read the bulletin that the braces and install would be covered under warranty if the cover was purchased through Ford. And that's the part that sucks, I did not get it through Ford but my cover is one of the exact same covers rebranded on Ford's site at a $1000 markup (or something). So waiting on the Service manager to decide. If not, well I like working on my own truck anyways.

I do agree though, this is a really shitty situation Ford has stuck everyone in.
Picked up the J-Brace from the dealership. They explained the reason they decided to not install is because the instructions require you to cut a corner off the truck. They refused to cut a brand new truck……lol

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
I can't blame the dealerships for not wanting to do this job as it's more labor intensive, more time consuming than customers think and Ford indicates in their instructions that it is only a 70 minute job. I take exception to the thought that anyone could complete this task in 70 minutes. The dealers are getting caught in the middle for something that Ford should have addressed at the factory.
Sponsored