• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Raptor Ranger Towing Capacity?

BadBoyBillyRaptorRanger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I haven't found any info on the US RRanger towing capacity. The AU model 2500 KG thats 5500 lbs. I wonder if the US model would have the same capacity.
Sponsored

Tagtexas

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I haven't found any info on the US RRanger towing capacity. The AU model 2500 KG thats 5500 lbs. I wonder if the US model would have the same capacity.
The current generation has a towing capacity of 7500 lbs with the 2.3 Ecoboost. The new Chevy Colorado is rated at 7700 lbs so I expect the new Ranger to follow suit.

jezzza

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor RA
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
The current generation has a towing capacity of 7500 lbs with the 2.3 Ecoboost. The new Chevy Colorado is rated at 7700 lbs so I expect the new Ranger to follow suit.
The Ranger 7700lbs sure, the Ranger Raptor has coil springs in the rear, 5500lbs.

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
I mean, really it doesn't matter because on these midsize off-road oriented trucks you have no payload capacity. Ford could stamp the Ranger Raptor with a 14,000 lb. towing capacity but at the end of the day you can only tow 25% of that if you've got a family inside the truck.

1200 lbs. payload - 4 people @ 550 lbs. combined = 650 lbs. remaining

650 lbs. - gear/luggage/supplies/coolers whatever you carry with you @ 100 lbs. = 550 lbs. remaining

Now you connect your camper/boat/trailer to the truck and since 15% of the weight of it will go onto the tongue you are limited to a max trailer weight of 3,500 lbs.

It's not towing capacity you run out of on these small trucks, it's payload.

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Next Gen Ranger Wildtrak -RA
Occupation
Retired Automotive Cad Monkey
I mean, really it doesn't matter because on these midsize off-road oriented trucks you have no payload capacity. Ford could stamp the Ranger Raptor with a 14,000 lb. towing capacity but at the end of the day you can only tow 25% of that if you've got a family inside the truck.

650 lbs. - gear/luggage/supplies/coolers whatever you carry with you @ 100 lbs. = 550 lbs. remaining

Now you connect your camper/boat/trailer to the truck and since 15% of the weight of it will go onto the tongue you are limited to a max trailer weight of 3,500 lbs.

Totally agree!
But the Ranger Raptor is meant to be the baby brother of the F150 Raptor
The Next Gen 6G Ranger Raptor here in Australia has a GCM of 11840 lbs and a GVM of 6900 lbs, so when you do the sums you end up with a ATM of what ever you tow being around 4940 lbs ,so its possible to get close to the 5510 lbs (2500kg) when loading up the vehicle.
So having had 3 5G Ranger Raptors and towed an off-road camper trailer around the 5070 lbs mark, its a real balancing act to make the vehicle set level when loaded, otherwise the front end of the vehicle sits way to high. Had to basically have the pickup box payload around 100kg max with everything positioned forward of the rear axle, switch out the Ranger Raptor Tongue for a Standard Ranger Tongue and balanced out the weights in the camper trailer to be over the axle or just behind. Having said all that I could never get the RGAW to be under, lucky Ford have increased the RGAW on the 6G Ranger Raptor. Otherwise another option is to change over the rear coils to something stiff, but that makes the rear end sit to high when not towing and the Fox shocks think they are going in to rebound travel. If you're putting 550 lb's on the tongue of a standard Ranger Raptor the back end will drop somewhere around 60-80mm depend how the vehicle is loaded.
A vehicle can not be everything from an off-road racer to a tow vehicle, just not possible, but do think Ford could have done a tow version of the Ranger Raptor which would of been an amazing Overlanding vehicle, too many boy racers inside Ford these days who think power & speed is everything.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Life is full of stress(es), including the life of your engine. Even the Ford Performance Tune reduces the towing and hauling capacities of an otherwise stock Ranger. The Raptor version is no different, and it wouldn't matter which engine Ford decided to install under the hood. The new 2024 F150 RaptoR is yet another example—a stock Ranger can out tow and out haul it.

All of this means, you (and you alone) have to make a decision. In basic terms, do you want to haul a load, or haul ass? Your choice!

OP
OP
BadBoyBillyRaptorRanger

BadBoyBillyRaptorRanger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Living in Southern NEVADA I have a lot of areas to explore and camp with in a 4hr drive. I was looking at buying an ATV and a toy hauler camper. Combined weight would be less than 2500 lbs.

https://intech.com/rv/models/flyer/explore/

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

I agree with you that a lot of people don't take into consideration the payload capacity when towing, but 15% tongue weight isn't a law. It's just a generalization. You could easily go with 10% tongue weight. 550lb tongue weight for a 5500lb load is plenty.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I agree with you that a lot of people don't take into consideration the payload capacity when towing, but 15% tongue weight isn't a law. It's just a generalization. You could easily go with 10% tongue weight. 550lb tongue weight for a 5500lb load is plenty.
10% is the limit on the towbars fitted to pretty much every vehicle in Australia, and the Ranger is no different.
Sponsored