• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
The competition will push the Ranger. If others make a full EV mid size truck Ford will have to follow. Plus the US government seems all in on EV's. Keep up or risk falling behind. Most manufactures are putting billions into EV's. It make sense to have a diverse line up of EV's.
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
Although a hybrid is nice, 29mpg, I'm getting about 21mpg now. I would really want a PHEV with
30 miles autonomous. This would be 90% of our driving.
I keep posting this but is that how a PHEV works, it runs on battery till there is 'no' charge?
Can you manually switch to gas/battery anytime?
A hybrid helps on acceleration & goes full gas when up to speed, correct?
I guess google would be my friend here.
Tks

Dr. Zaius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Come on 29 mpg 2024 4WD Ranger PowerBoost Hybrid with a slightly improved rear seating legroom.
And actual KNOBS for the climate controls....

Rant over.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Although a hybrid is nice, 29mpg, I'm getting about 21mpg now. I would really want a PHEV with
30 miles autonomous. This would be 90% of our driving.
I keep posting this but is that how a PHEV works, it runs on battery till there is 'no' charge?
Can you manually switch to gas/battery anytime?
A hybrid helps on acceleration & goes full gas when up to speed, correct?
I guess google would be my friend here.
Tks
My understanding of the PHEVs is that they run on battery until it runs out of charge OR it needs additional power for doing things like climbing hills, etc. In those cases, the gas engine would come on to supplement the battery motors. I don't think you can manually switch between them, the software controls all of that and does it automatically.

A PHEV in the new Ranger would be the one feature that would definitely get me to trade my 2019. Without that, from what I've seen, I don't think there is enough there to get me to trade. A long bed crew cab option would seal the deal.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
I'm hoping to see the 3.3L in a standard hybrid setup, but if it means waiting an extra year I'll go standard ICE. I want this beast asap.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
My understanding of the PHEVs is that they run on battery until it runs out of charge OR it needs additional power for doing things like climbing hills, etc. In those cases, the gas engine would come on to supplement the battery motors. I don't think you can manually switch between them, the software controls all of that and does it automatically.

A PHEV in the new Ranger would be the one feature that would definitely get me to trade my 2019. Without that, from what I've seen, I don't think there is enough there to get me to trade. A long bed crew cab option would seal the deal.
A future Ranger PHEV would likely have a hybrid system similar to the Ford Explorer PHEV. The Explorer's PHEV system is described in the article linked below but this is how it works (note that this is the same way the Escape PHEV works):
The Explorer has four driving modes: ‘EV Auto’ automatically switches between combustion, hybrid and pure electric mode, ‘EV Now’ is pure electric driving, ‘EV Later’ is pure combustion mode to maintain the charge level and ‘EV Charge’ charges the battery while driving using fuel.
Here is the article I found this in: Ford Explorer PHEV

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I'm hoping to see the 3.3L in a standard hybrid setup, but if it means waiting an extra year I'll go standard ICE. I want this beast asap.
I am also hoping the non turbo 3.3L motor is paired with the PHEV system , for the Ranger.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Why the 3.3 NA vs a 2.3 ecoboost Powerboost style?
Just my opinion. The 2.3L turbo has to be put through a proper heat cycle. Has to burn off the known vapors in oil. Turbo has to be warmed correctly after starting. Has to idle and cool down correctly. Plus all the heat the turbo creates. With the start stop and PHEV running I do not see the motor on the short commutes warming up correctly. Less issues with a naturally aspirated ICE and PHEV

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Does any other manufacturer use a turbo charged ICE motor and a PHEV

Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
A future Ranger PHEV would likely have a hybrid system similar to the Ford Explorer PHEV. The Explorer's PHEV system is described in the article linked below but this is how it works (note that this is the same way the Escape PHEV works):

Here is the article I found this in: Ford Explorer PHEV
Nice article.
If a PHEV Ranger has those options, the modes, then that is perfect.
We plan on buying a smaller TT, 3000lbs, so during summer the truck would be using gas &
most other times battery. 60km would be awesome.
Always a trade off, more weight, less efficient when running on gas.
On the other hand, during winter, depending where the battery would be, maybe no
need for 300lbs of rock dust I put over the wheels to help out?

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why the 3.3 NA vs a 2.3 ecoboost Powerboost style?
Future maintenance, mostly, but I also don't like running premium gas. I'll be keeping this truck for 8-10 years at least.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Future maintenance, mostly, but I also don't like running premium gas. I'll be keeping this truck for 8-10 years at least.
Makes sense. Ecoboost engines doesn’t require premium though. However max power is with premium gas.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense. Ecoboost engines doesn’t require premium though. However max power is with premium gas.
I'd feel bad not running premium in a turbo, lol. It'd be like giving my dog inferior kibble :)

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I am the same thinking. If I buy a new truck I wish it to last at least 10 years.
Sponsored