• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Towing before I reach 1,000 miles

markal49

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT w/ FX4
Occupation
Planner
Just noticed that the owners manual says not to tow until the truck has 1,000 miles (presumably for break-in). Just brought my XLT home a few days ago and it has only 105 miles. I was planning to head out with my teardrop trailer in about 10 days. The trailer weighs ~1700 pounds, so well below the tow rating.

What should I do? Postpone? Squeeze in 1,000 miles before I go?
Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn’t but that’s a personal judgement call imo

Cyrusblack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat Oxford White \ Sandstone
Occupation
Nuclear Weapons Technician
If I was a gambling man - wait, I am! Roll the dice 😁

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
You just gotta do 100 miles a day over the next 9 days and your Ranger will be nice and broken in and ready to tow.

Sponsored

1986YellowRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
By then you will be fine as long as you take it easy since the trailer is small. Slow accelerations, no big hills, and other common sense stuff
. They just don’t want people towing 7,000 pounds over a mountain the first few days of driving (which some idiot would do and then expect the Ford warranty to cover a new engine and transmission).

OP
OP

markal49

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT w/ FX4
Occupation
Planner
By then you will be fine as long as you take it easy since the trailer is small. Slow accelerations, no big hills, and other common sense stuff
. They just don’t want people towing 7,000 pounds over a mountain the first few days of driving (which some idiot would do and then expect the Ford warranty to cover a new engine and transmission).
No hills, just three huge passes in the Rockies!

skhale69

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 FX4 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Just noticed that the owners manual says not to tow until the truck has 1,000 miles (presumably for break-in). Just brought my XLT home a few days ago and it has only 105 miles. I was planning to head out with my teardrop trailer in about 10 days. The trailer weighs ~1700 pounds, so well below the tow rating.

What should I do? Postpone? Squeeze in 1,000 miles before I go?
I used my 2018 F150 FX4 Super Crew 3.5 TT V6 to tow a 16 ft. trailer with 2 heavy round hay bales when it only had about 150 miles on it. Had no problem towing about 130 miles on hilly stop and go country roads.

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
My opinion is worth absolutely nothing but just wanted to relate my story concerning break-in. Many years ago I had overhauled my trusty F150 engine with the 300 six cylinder and it ran hot afterwards until one day I towed a John Deere combine header with it, not a huge load but a load, and after about a 25 mile tow the engine water temperature guage ran right in the middle of the range, never heated again. Now I don't believe the modern engines use the cast iron piston rings so it's different now but back then it took a load to break in the engine. You will be putting one some miles between now and then and given that the teardrop camper is such a small load I wouldn't hesitate to tow in, just use the Tow-Haul mode and go.
Sponsored

Last edited: