• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

undercoating/rust proofing

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Engineer
Is anyone planning to undercoat and/or rust proof their new Ranger? The salt and brine they are using on the roads here in central NY are really hard on our vehicles so I'm leaning towards having it done.
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I did my 2020 for the last 2/3? yrs.

RGReid

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2023 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired Accountant
Don't need it here in north east Texas

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Once I get mine I will get it Krown......have my current truck done and it look like it just came out of the factory and it's 5 years old.

Sponsored

RangerFX4

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Steel Buyer
I’m planning on having mine sprayed with Fluid Film on a yearly basis. My 2009 is pretty must rust free from having it done. I’m hoping the new one gets here on a dry day to get it sprayed.

Bash1990

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Software Developer
We plan on having something done. I own property and have family up in central NY so I do lots of driving up there.

I wonder what the best options are, whether or not I'd need to drop the RR skid plates to have the undercarriage sprayed directly and whether or not I'd need to have them spray the skid plates too. I imagine salty muck is going to inevitably get up under the skid plates and build up.

I've thought about keeping a winter beater on the road and leaving my truck in the barn. But then it's like I'm taking on extra expenses to NOT drive the truck.

pyates999

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150
Occupation
Foreman
I live in West Virginia, about 35 miles west of Pittsburgh PA. Definitely going to fluid film the truck, hopefully this will be my last new one so I want it to be protected from the elements. It will be garage kept as all of my vehicles are but with the winters here & the salt & brine that is used now it’s a definite must to do the fluid film undercoating.

yoopercharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford SVT Raptor
We plan on having something done. I own property and have family up in central NY so I do lots of driving up there.

I wonder what the best options are, whether or not I'd need to drop the RR skid plates to have the undercarriage sprayed directly and whether or not I'd need to have them spray the skid plates too. I imagine salty muck is going to inevitably get up under the skid plates and build up.

I've thought about keeping a winter beater on the road and leaving my truck in the barn. But then it's like I'm taking on extra expenses to NOT drive the truck.
The skid plates are easy to remove. I'd suggest you do so on the first application. You won't get much water spray up in that area so you could probably get away with doing that every other year.

I've also considered getting a cheap/boring daily but life is too short.

beaudointl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150, 2011 Mustang, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Technician
Is anyone planning to undercoat and/or rust proof their new Ranger? The salt and brine they are using on the roads here in central NY are really hard on our vehicles so I'm leaning towards having it done.
Absolutely, here in Ontario, Canada your vehicle will disappear if you don't. Krown, Corrosion Free and Fluid Film seemed to be the most popular here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rda2w

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've been looking at Woolwax or Fluid Film instead of Ziebart this time around. I am concerned though that I use a drive through car wash weekly that does an undercarriage spray and it will wash off the coating.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I've been looking at Woolwax or Fluid Film instead of Ziebart this time around. I am concerned though that I use a drive through car wash weekly that does an undercarriage spray and it will wash off the coating.
I got my current truck Krown and I take mine through a car wash and have never had a problem. It still look like it came off the showroom floor and it 5 years old.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
I've never done this on any vehicle and never had an issue. I live in PA where they use salt and use other crap

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rda2w

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I think it really depends how long you plan to keep your vehicle. 3 or 4 years isn’t going to be an issue. A few years ago they started using liquid brine to pre-treat the roads before storms and also brine treated salt. The theory was that it sticks better to the road and better prevents snow and ice buildup. However, it also means that it sticks to vehicles better also. We’ve noticed a lot more corrosion on untreated metal parts on our vehicles at the same time. Last winter I had to drive in sloppy slush on the way to airport for a week long business trip. When I returned the brakes were so rusted they kept locking up the first few times I touched the pedal. I know undercoating won’t help the brakes but it is just an indication of the accelerated corrosion.

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
This is an issue. The first yr I got mine I went through many car wash during the winter
& most, if not all, had the spray under as you drove in. Well, in the spring I was
looking under the truck & there was no more oil/film. Since then, I make sure
the car wash does not have that under spray. Unfortunately, the person at the
cash has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about it.
Sponsored