• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What Does the Future Hold for the Super Cab.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I am a Super Cab guy. Wondering if this configuration will even exist once partial or full electrification happens.
I would say Ford sells just enough of them to make it viable with the ICE motor.
I am having a feeling that Ford will never produce a PHEV model.
I couldn't even find a picture of the SCAB with no camo.

Ford Ranger What Does the Future Hold for the Super Cab. Scab 1

Ford Ranger What Does the Future Hold for the Super Cab. Scab

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I think the problem there is that most of the time the batteries needed for partial or full EV sit under/inside the cabin. So in order to have enough batteries to make a viable electrification attempt (of whatever kind), you'll want as much under cab space as possible, which translates to the biggest cab style available. Granted this all goes out the window if you start from the ground up with a skateboard style "frame" which allows the batteries to be put between the "frame rails" and everywhere else, but then that becomes a sort of uni-body setup, which benefits a lot from a larger cab style to transfer load between the front and back. All of that on top of the fact that the largest cab style is by far the most popular.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Granted this all goes out the window if you start from the ground up with a skateboard style "frame" which allows the batteries to be put between the "frame rails" and everywhere else, but then that becomes a sort of uni-body setup, which benefits a lot from a larger cab style to transfer load between the front and back. All of that on top of the fact that the largest cab style is by far the most popular.
The F-150 Lightning's battery pack extends beyond the rear of the cabin, basically all the way to the rear axle. The battery is almost as you describe, nestled between the frame rails. It is not a unibody in any sense of the term. Any electric Ranger will follow a similar design philosophy.

Ford Ranger What Does the Future Hold for the Super Cab. 2022-ford-f-150-lightning-platform-exposed

Regardless, the super cab body style is becoming the least popular of them all. Here in Australia the rumours are suggesting that it may be dropped altogether as it makes up such a small % of sales.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I found it interesting that you could purchase a 5G Scab Lariat. Now those are rare. You could only buy a XLT in the Scab in Canada.
Probably be the same for the 6G.
If I buy a 6G it will be the Screw in the PHEV. The box is actually large then my 2011 Ranger Scab 6' box. Just wanted to have the 6' bed and don't need the extra seating. Ford really needed to make the back seat split to utilize the space more effectively.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I think that the crew cab only Maverick is a bellwether for the super cab.

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
I too greatly prefer the super cab. Hopefully they’ll live on. And hopefully the US can get a regular cab option.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I found it interesting that you could purchase a 5G Scab Lariat. Now those are rare. You could only buy a XLT in the Scab in Canada.
Probably be the same for the 6G.
If I buy a 6G it will be the Screw in the PHEV. The box is actually large then my 2011 Ranger Scab 6' box. Just wanted to have the 6' bed and don't need the extra seating. Ford really needed to make the back seat split to utilize the space more effectively.
In Aus the Scab is XL and XLT only, and limited in engine options for the new model (no V6 diesel).

I believe in the US, the 5G could be ordered with a rear seat delete. We took the rear seats out of our PX1 (2013) XLT Scab, and built a platform from marine ply, wrapped it in carpet to use as a storage platform.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, here in NA you could get a rear seat delete in the XL only on the 5G. You could order the parts if you had a higher model.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
Would love a PHEV, just went through the new Aussi Ranger reviews, no EV of any type.
SCAB PHEV, pls.

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would love a PHEV, just went through the new Aussi Ranger reviews, no EV of any type.
SCAB PHEV, pls.
Not yet anyway, but we look set to get an EV Ranger. The rumour mill on a PHEV for Australia seems slim, we don't look like we are going to get one. Hybrid and diesel really doesn't mix well.

jbrubakerjr

First Name
JIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I think the problem there is that most of the time the batteries needed for partial or full EV sit under/inside the cabin. So in order to have enough batteries to make a viable electrification attempt (of whatever kind), you'll want as much under cab space as possible, which translates to the biggest cab style available. Granted this all goes out the window if you start from the ground up with a skateboard style "frame" which allows the batteries to be put between the "frame rails" and everywhere else, but then that becomes a sort of uni-body setup, which benefits a lot from a larger cab style to transfer load between the front and back. All of that on top of the fact that the largest cab style is by far the most popular.
If you look at what Jeep did, the PHEV Wrangler is only available in the 4-Door, not the 2-Door, with the battery under the second seat. That being said, though, the body is so short on the 2-Door I don't know that they could have found room to put a battery anywhere else, especially in a PHEV, with the need for the additional drive and exhaust components under the vehicle.
Sponsored