• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger 6G Hybrid Powertrain Theories

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
While the world waits for more information (and us in NA wait for our reveal), I'm curious about everyone's theories on the all but revealed 6G Hybrid powertrain. Based upon Ford's current hybrids especially with the F-150 Powerboost Hybrid and Maverick Hybrid, how do you think this will play out? I think it's going to be the 3.3L hybrid from the Explorer unless Ford has a new 4-cyl hybrid to reveal (2.3L mated to the hybrid powertrain???).
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Good question. Most of the automotive press (like Ford authority's reporting: Ranger PHEV) says that it will be the 2.3 Ecoboost paired with the hybridized 10 speed automatic. This hybrid system is currently utilized in the F-150 PowerBoost and the Explorer but with different Ecoboost engines. I'm hoping that they make the Pro Power Onboard generator system available in the Ranger hybrid.

OP
OP

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Good question. Most of the automotive press (like Ford authority's reporting: Ranger PHEV) says that it will be the 2.3 Ecoboost paired with the hybridized 10 speed automatic. This hybrid system is currently utilized in the F-150 PowerBoost and the Explorer but with different Ecoboost engines. I'm hoping that they make the Pro Power Onboard generator system available in the Ranger hybrid.
I hope they have a HEV option to go along with the PHEV version. I'm not in a position to utilize the advantages of a PHEV, so I'd rather have a regular HEV. But I agree with the Pro Power generator being available.

RangerNW

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Army Green Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Middle School Head Custodian
I’m definitely hoping for a PHEV with Pro Onboard. Would help with my commute and camping and around the property.
There’s been rumblings about a hybrid Mustang running around, with a 2.3. Would much rather see a V6 like the 3.0 or the 2.7 though. The 2.3 is a decent engine, but not as inspiring to me.
Waiting for more crumbs to fall…

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I’m definitely hoping for a PHEV with Pro Onboard. Would help with my commute and camping and around the property.
There’s been rumblings about a hybrid Mustang running around, with a 2.3. Would much rather see a V6 like the 3.0 or the 2.7 though. The 2.3 is a decent engine, but not as inspiring to me.
Waiting for more crumbs to fall…
Agreed.
There is the possibility maybe a Raptor PHEV lol the 3.0 used has a PHEV variant in the Explorer, but it is for European markets only, no idea why as that sounds amazing! I can dream of a PHEV ranger with the 3.0 Ecoboost lol
Time will tell.

I'm hoping since Global Launch was in Nov with a May production, and NA production is May 2023 the Launch will occur this November or sooner for the NA market.

Sponsored

RangerNW

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Army Green Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Middle School Head Custodian
Agreed.
There is the possibility maybe a Raptor PHEV lol the 3.0 used has a PHEV variant in the Explorer, but it is for European markets only, no idea why as that sounds amazing! I can dream of a PHEV ranger with the 3.0 Ecoboost lol
Time will tell.

I'm hoping since Global Launch was in Nov with a May production, and NA production is May 2023 the Launch will occur this November or sooner for the NA market.
The 3.0 hybrid is offered here in the Lincoln Aviator, so maybe?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
My take, the hybrid will be the 2.3 Ecoboost. The 3.0 Ecoboost is likely going to be the Raptor engine, so I don't expect that to be available in any other version of the Ranger. I also doubt they would develop the 3.3 into a hybrid, as the hybrid will more than likely be available in Europe, a naturally aspirated larger capacity engine doesn't fit the taxation schemes in Europe.

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I also doubt they would develop the 3.3 into a hybrid, as the hybrid will more than likely be available in Europe, a naturally aspirated larger capacity engine doesn't fit the taxation schemes in Europe.
Valid point about the European tax scams. The 3.3 Hybrid was mentioned because its already in use in the Explorer Interceptor. If a V6 isn't a fundamental problem, this would reduce engineering cost.
Personally, I think the 2.3EB is a great candidate.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Valid point about the European tax scams. The 3.3 Hybrid was mentioned because its already in use in the Explorer Interceptor. If a V6 isn't a fundamental problem, this would reduce engineering cost.
Personally, I think the 2.3EB is a great candidate.
I too could deal with a 2.3 Powerboost or PHEV as long as you don't lose towing capacity and performance is better.
Sponsored