• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

FYI: How to Check Your Tire Pressure

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
When I got my truck home I was initially confused because the recommended psi on the door said 30 and my tires were reading 47. I thought maybe I had different tires or something because I couldn't imagine the dealership wouldn't do something as basic as checking the tire pressure and making sure it was reasonably close. 17 pounds over on every tire seemed like something had to be wrong with the recommended psi. Fortunately there is this forum and I read how a lot of trucks were coming in overinflated. It doesn't do much for my confidence in Ford's production quality control or my dealer's pre sale inspection .
Don't worry, I've had FLEET orders from GMC, CHEV in the hundreds of vehicles and they too are shipped overinflated, and the local dealerships across the US don't check them.
Sponsored

MSgt G

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Here's mine to throw in the mix. :)

IMG-5805.JPG
IMG-5806.JPG
FINALLY ! This is the same size tire I have! No sticker on my truck, so I called my dealership - they suggested 35-39 psi. I just called Ford's main number on their website . They had no idea for this size and suggested that I call a different dealership. FINALLY the answer I needed - 30 psi. Mine came with 48 psi, btw.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
00 Nissan Xterra, 00 Hyundai Elentra, 95 Gulfstream Voyager
Occupation
Carquest counterman, SAR volunteer
My truck also came from the factory with tire PSI set to 47-48. The Hankook Dynapro ATM's installed are rated at MAX 51 PSI. I have a feeling they filled the tires to max pressure and that is how it was delivered to me. Before I took it on the 1/8th mile track I brought it down to the door jamb recommended 30PSI.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
FINALLY ! This is the same size tire I have! No sticker on my truck, so I called my dealership - they suggested 35-39 psi. I just called Ford's main number on their website . They had no idea for this size and suggested that I call a different dealership. FINALLY the answer I needed - 30 psi. Mine came with 48 psi, btw.
How do you not have a sticker? The certification label is required, so you're either looking in the wrong place or need to have a conversation with the dealer.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
My tires were over inflated but only by 5-7 pounds and that was according to the dash gauge. I suspected that my old tire gauge was beginning to fail last winter when after checking a few tires on my wife's van the gauge went slowly all the way to 50. So doing some research I bought a Rhino Gauge mostly because I thought it was USA made but that turned out to not be true. However, I did test the Rhino, a Slime, my old gauge that is so old I cannot find a brand but it does say Made in USA, and another cheapy gauge. The Rhino measured exactly what the truck said the tires were and the others measured 2-3 pounds higher. So you can buy a cheap gauge but with so much riding on your tires, extending tread life, maximum traction, grand kids in cars seats, tossing my bikes in and out of curves, i want to know what I got. By the way, check when cold meaning tires have not been run.

Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Thought about starting a new thread but I think my question fits here. What is everyone thoughts on having nitrogen in your tires VS just air ?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
The nitrogen
Thought about starting a new thread but I think my question fits here. What is everyone thoughts on having nitrogen in your tires VS just air ?
The nitrogen myth began some years ago when road racers would bring a bottle of nitrogen to the track to fill tires and adjust tire pressures.
The reason being that on hot humid track days air compressors produce a lot of water.
Water in a road race tire causes excess fluctuations in tire pressure as they heat and cool.
Bottled nitrogen is dry in the bottle and easy to come by.
Dry Air performs just as well on the track as nitrogen.
On the street, ambient air works just as well.

Dry air is a bit better so either drain you air tank regularly or just fill directly from a tankless compressor.

I use a mix of +- 79% nitrogen mixed with about 20% oxygen and 1% other gasses.
(Just air)

Last edited:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Senior Process Engineer
Nitrogen has larger molecules than air so it is harder for it to pass through the sidewalls of the tire and this maintains set pressure. This is the theory for use. Nitrogen is also void of moisture and could help the rubber inside tire to last longer.
I have used and you do see the tires hold pressure longer but tire technology has improved to help retain air better over time. Most will not notice this help as you would have to track and watch closely to notice.
Nitrogen being free of moisture also will not expand as tire heats up. This insures pressure remains steady. Very good for racing like NASCAR which might make 1/2 psi changes for handling. But in a Ford Ranger the benefit will be small.

Cost not high so one could try. If you have a shop close that you can refill and sometimes for free, then would be easy to maintain.

Sponsored

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Agreed. My dealer told me they had purged the air from my tires twice before refilling them with nitrogen. . . . to 47 lbs.

I wouldn't want to accuse anyone of simply swapping the factory valve stem covers for green ones (3 out of 4 anyway) but that's exactly what's going to happen on the dealer survey.

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Of course I know how to check a tire pressure.
I saw Anthony's post with a recommended 30lbs and just posted my XLT has 35lbs listed on the door label which I found 30lbs to be odd.
Tire pressure recommendations on door Jamb will be for factory installed tires and rims. My Lariat FX4 came with 18” rims with Hankook Dynapto ATM Tires. Pressure on door jamb is 30psi front and rear.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have nitrogen in my Mustang and in two years I have not had it add any air or nitrogen.
I also had nitrogen in my Explorer Sport same thing.
On both those vehicles the dealer purged the factory air and serviced with the nitrogen.
When I took delivery of my Ranger I asked if it too was serviced with Nitrogen in the tires and they said that they only do Nitrogen in performance vehicles (Mustang and RX Sport).
I have had to adjust the tire pressure twice in 4 weeks on the Ranger, granted I have only added a total of two pounds but still...
BTW my tires were properly serviced by the dealer during "prep."
I am seriously considering a Nitrogen purge and fill on the Ranger...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
Not so, but...
Lets suppose for a moment that nitrogen does not escape through the tire material and that oxygen does, as contended by advocates.
Lets further suppose that it is significant enough to be measurable....
Why not just fill with air anyway, the concentration of nitrogen will become greater each time air is added and the oxygen escapes... leaving only the nitrogen.:crackup: FOR FREE!!!:clap:

BTW; if nitrogen is inherently dry and the atmosphere is 70% Nitrogen how does it get humid?

Also having painted more than 30 cars, I have never used nitrogen for applying paint, and low moisture is critical for a good paint job. A good air dryer on the compressor is more than adequate to provide dry air for paint or tires.

I assume that four green Schrader caps would be a LOT cheaper than than actually buying the service!
That way you could save money and impress your friends.

Here is an article which makes all the typical arguments comprised of the most pathetic hyperbole and junk science possible.:crazy:
Believe it if you choose...
https://www.barbourhendrickhonda.com/benefits-of-nitrogen.htm

I couldn't find a price,$ so could someone here please tell us what the typical cost of nitrogen tire service is?

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I have had to adjust the tire pressure twice in 4 weeks on the Ranger, granted I have only added a total of two pounds but still...
Mine haven't changed in 3 months
Sponsored