• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

FYI: How to Check Your Tire Pressure

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
As we said, the required pressure will vary by original equipment tire provided. Mine says 30psi (again, I've got the 17" Hankooks) a different tire will require different pressures. I've updated the first post to make that more clear.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
This discussion is very interesting but brings up a couple of questions in my mind, assuming tire pressure is really this critical

Since the recommended pressures seem to be tire size and manufacturer specific for the vehicle loading. How does one decided where to set the normal pressures when changing to a different tire size or manufacturer?

The second question is, should I just trust the accuracy of the TPMS system readings when I decide what pressure to use? I don't have my new Ranger yet but a couple of days ago, I was adjusting pressures on my other vehicles with my Viair 400P. I tried several gages including the Viair and the various gage readings differ by about 5 PSI. Using the Viair gage to set my Malibu tires, the TPMS gave me three different numbers among the four tires and they varied about 4 PSI highest to lowest. Which one to believe?

I worked in quality assurance for a long time and always had to be aware of accuracy and repeatability of various measuring instruments. Seemingly simple things can actually be pretty complicated sometimes. Maybe there's a tire pressure setting course somewhere that I can attend that takes this all into account. LOL

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This discussion is very interesting but brings up a couple of questions in my mind, assuming tire pressure is really this critical

Since the recommended pressures seem to be tire size and manufacturer specific for the vehicle loading. How does one decided where to set the normal pressures when changing to a different tire size or manufacturer?
Tire width is a big factor, as it changes the size of the contact patch. (Note that the highest-pressure standard tires listed so far are also the narrowest.) Also sidewall flex: the LT tires generally have stiffer sidewalls which you don't want to flex as much as offroad tires because they'll get too hot and fail. If you change the tire diameter you're adding more sidewall and may need more air to keep them from flexing too much. Some tire manufacturers will provide a recommended value for a particular vehicle (though the ranger is probably too new for this), otherwise you could try a chalk test https://www.intercotire.com/using_chalk_method_determining_psi. I'd probably start at the manufacturer pressure based on width and come up a bit for a larger diameter tire.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tire width is a big factor, as it changes the size of the contact patch. (Note that the highest-pressure standard tires listed so far are also the narrowest.) Also sidewall flex: the LT tires generally have stiffer sidewalls which you don't want to flex as much as offroad tires because they'll get too hot and fail. If you change the tire diameter you're adding more sidewall and may need more air to keep them from flexing too much. Some tire manufacturers will provide a recommended value for a particular vehicle (though the ranger is probably too new for this), otherwise you could try a chalk test https://www.intercotire.com/using_chalk_method_determining_psi. I'd probably start at the manufacturer pressure based on width and come up a bit for a larger diameter tire.
Interesting article. A little difficult to do so I hope the tire manufacturers do the work for me before I decided to change tires. I guess the Ford recommendations for the various tires supplied with the Ranger would be a good starting point for the experiment. Thanks.

Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor

The second question is, should I just trust the accuracy of the TPMS system readings when I decide what pressure to use? I don't have my new Ranger yet but a couple of days ago, I was adjusting pressures on my other vehicles with my Viair 400P. I tried several gages including the Viair and the various gage readings differ by about 5 PSI. Using the Viair gage to set my Malibu tires, the TPMS gave me three different numbers among the four tires and they varied about 4 PSI highest to lowest. Which one to believe?

I worked in quality assurance for a long time and always had to be aware of accuracy and repeatability of various measuring instruments. Seemingly simple things can actually be pretty complicated sometimes. Maybe there's a tire pressure setting course somewhere that I can attend that takes this all into account. LOL
2nd ?:

WARNING: The tire pressure
monitoring system is not a substitute for
manually checking tire pressures. You
should periodically check tire pressures
using a pressure gauge. Failure to
correctly maintain tire pressures could
increase the risk of tire failure, loss of
control, vehicle rollover and personal
injury.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed
2nd ?:

injury.
Exactly, and glad u mention this. I’ve always checked mine once a week. Tires are the most important parts of a vehicle, and on CA freeways at 90 mph 5 days a week:giggle:, COLD check pressure does change!

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2nd ?:

injury.
Thanks Ford, that's comforting. I guess it's a good thing I use a separate gage too. Now all I need is to find one that's more accurate.

I just downloaded the manual. Might as well start reading it while I impatiently await the arrival of my Ranger. Probably another 8 weeks or so.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Exactly, and glad u mention this. I’ve always checked mine once a week. Tires are the most important parts of a vehicle, and on CA freeways at 90 mph 5 days a week:giggle:, COLD check pressure does change!
It was so much easier in the old days, when I worked with new employees and certain warning li
Thanks Ford, that's comforting. I guess it's a good thing I use a separate gage too. Now all I need is to find one that's more accurate.

I just downloaded the manual. Might as well start reading it while I impatiently await the arrival of my Ranger. Probably another 8 weeks or so.
Version 3 of the manual is the most current.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation

GMC 2500HD manual states: "The TPMS does not replace normal monthly tire maintenance. Maintain the correct tire pressures."
So I'm thinking just like any other electronic device or system it can fail. A person needs to check and inspect things manually instead of relying on systems.

Employees come to me and say " I don't know why the oil light is on" and I go well have you checked the oil level, they go, well no. And I go that's why the light is on. It's an "idiot light" as we used to call them, you idiot. You are responsible to check the oil on a regular basis. Same goes w/ tires. Don't just drive them till you have a problem.

Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In practice the tpms is pretty accurate. They add a disclaimer so you can't sue if it breaks. But really, most people don't calibrate or maintain their pressure gauge so I'm not convinced they'd be more accurate. The ones at the gas station are pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree; have you found an accurate one?

I have always kept a mechanical tire gage in my cars. I've had TPMS sensors fail on the interstate in two vehicles. With the Corvette it was one of those oh crap moments. I better get off the road now or I'll be losing a $300 run-flat. Replacing the bad sensor wasn't exactly cheap either but I got tired of having to reset the warning.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 1996 Ford 1t Powerstroke 4X4, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
GMC 2500HD manual states: "The TPMS does not replace normal monthly tire maintenance. Maintain the correct tire pressures."
So I'm thinking just like any other electronic device or system it can fail. A person needs to check and inspect things manually instead of relying on systems.

Employees come to me and say " I don't know why the oil light is on" and I go well have you checked the oil level, they go, well no. And I go that's why the light is on. It's an "idiot light" as we used to call them, you idiot. You are responsible to check the oil on a regular basis. Same goes w/ tires. Don't just drive them till you have a problem.
Those idiots are an integral part of the economy. LOL :crazy:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
I have the 17" Hankooks. What tires do you have? Also, look at the driver's door panel sticker of the truck as well for cold tire pressures. I would not trust the app to tell you what pressure it should be at.
Yeah, the App says very clearly NOT to use it as a Tire Pressure Guage!

rwjrn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
When I got my truck home I was initially confused because the recommended psi on the door said 30 and my tires were reading 47. I thought maybe I had different tires or something because I couldn't imagine the dealership wouldn't do something as basic as checking the tire pressure and making sure it was reasonably close. 17 pounds over on every tire seemed like something had to be wrong with the recommended psi. Fortunately there is this forum and I read how a lot of trucks were coming in overinflated. It doesn't do much for my confidence in Ford's production quality control or my dealer's pre sale inspection .
Sponsored