• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Screen shot of pics on TFL Truck YouTube channel of a 6G PHEV??? No link to this to post. I imagine if you go to their channel you can view it.

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 2.06.04 PM

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." unnamed

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." unnamed2

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." unnamed3

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." unnamed4

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger PHEV (Hybrid) Spotted?? "Must Be Plugged In..." Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 2.05.00 PM
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
On-board test equipment can have a tremendous amout of draw on the vehicle electrical system. If the validation testing is for electrical (is the alternator big enough to run the giant-ass fans, etc), then it may not be even running off the vehicle system.

OP
OP
Stevedbvik1

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
On-board test equipment can have a tremendous amout of draw on the vehicle electrical system. If the validation testing is for electrical (is the alternator big enough to run the giant-ass fans, etc), then it may not be even running off the vehicle system.
Plausible. So possibly 12v battery minder? Or independent battery source for test equipment? A drivers side pic would show EV plug if it is a PHEV

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Plausible. So possibly 12v battery minder? Or independent battery source for test equipment?
That’d be my first guess. Expensive test days lost to dead (conventional) batteries will definitely result in a sticker like that.

OP
OP
Stevedbvik1

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
That’d be my first guess. Expensive test days lost to dead (conventional) batteries will definitely result in a sticker like that.
Yeah, the sticker is on all four corners of the truck if you look at all the pictures.
A. It’s important
B. Someone forgot to plug it in once
C. All of the above

Still wishing it is a Raptor PHEV though

Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I was hoping this was definitive proof of a PHEV, oh well.
Many don't like the front, but I think it's ok.

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
It's interesting to me what the purpose could be as I see all above scenarios as possible... 1) When I google images of "Ford Test Mule." I can't find any examples of this sticker being used in the past. 2) When I look up "Prius Prime Test Mule" or test mule of another known plug-in hybrid from another manufacturer, they do not have this sticker on them nor any other warning about the vehicle being PHEV. 3) when I go even further and look up "Porsche taycan test mule" "ioniq5 test mule" or any other known BEV vehicle on the market - they also do not have a sticker like this.

What does all of this mean? Nothing! But I can't seem to find any similar stickers from Ford or anybody being used in the past...

Whatever this sticker is warning against - it seems unique to this test team.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Still wishing it is a Raptor PHEV though
The truck in the pics look to be higher and wider than the other, and it has the seperate front bumper, so isn't that a RR? If it is, and it's also a PHEV, then you may be getting your wish. :rockon:

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
The truck in the pics look to be higher and wider than the other, and it has the seperate front bumper, so isn't that a RR? If it is, and it's also a PHEV, then you may be getting your wish. :rockon:
It’s 100% a Raptor; you can tell by the bumpers, fenders, and grill. PHEV status unknown tho.

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Hey, that's my comment at the bottom! :like:

Like you all said along with commentors after my comment on the TFL post, the yellow sticker could be for testing equpiment. @Dr_Strangelove also makes some good observations as well.

I'm still hoping for a hybrid of some form for the Ranger. My optimism was lowered after Ford didn't announce a PowerBoost for the new SuperDuty. It was lowered again after that leaked document showing the vehicle platforms over the next decade for manufacturers including Ford. I'm still hoping out for PHEV Ranger. If not that, an AWD hybrid Mav.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
Hey, that's my comment at the bottom! :like:

Like you all said along with commentors after my comment on the TFL post, the yellow sticker could be for testing equpiment. @Dr_Strangelove also makes some good observations as well.

I'm still hoping for a hybrid of some form for the Ranger. My optimism was lowered after Ford didn't announce a PowerBoost for the new SuperDuty. It was lowered again after that leaked document showing the vehicle platforms over the next decade for manufacturers including Ford. I'm still hoping out for PHEV Ranger. If not that, an AWD hybrid Mav.
PowerBoost seems to be the most plausible of all hybrid formats for the Ranger to be implemented first. It would be amazing if they found a way to adequately incorporate the PowerBoost into the 2.3l or 2.7l.

The current PowerBoost on the F-150 is amazing for low-end torque and Pro Power Onboard, but it barely helps with fuel efficiency. The battery on the F-150 is almost the same exact size as the one on my 2013 C-Max hybrid (1.5kWh) and the electric motor it feeds is an absolute torque beast that tears through the battery quickly. The battery really needs to be around double its current size and have some way to switch between power applications and efficiency applications to yield decent efficiency gains in larger pickups. But it definitely has a "wheee!" factor considering its acceleration is neck and neck with the Raptor.

I am guessing that the bean counters have determined it is not in Ford's interest to hybrid-ize any form of the Super Duty engines, as an electric motor with the necessary power output to adequately assist the main ICE would be cost prohibitive on both the manufacturing side as well as the consumer side at the Super Duty level (and probably with a minimal efficiency gain, if at all). The biggest, and likely only, benefit the PowerBoost could offer the Super Duty series would be to enable the full spectrum of Pro Power Onboard (instead of current 2kw cap).

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
PowerBoost seems to be the most plausible of all hybrid formats for the Ranger to be implemented first. It would be amazing if they found a way to adequately incorporate the PowerBoost into the 2.3l or 2.7l.

The current PowerBoost on the F-150 is amazing for low-end torque and Pro Power Onboard, but it barely helps with fuel efficiency. The battery on the F-150 is almost the same exact size as the one on my 2013 C-Max hybrid (1.5kWh) and the electric motor it feeds is an absolute torque beast that tears through the battery quickly. The battery really needs to be around double its current size and have some way to switch between power applications and efficiency applications to yield decent efficiency gains in larger pickups. But it definitely has a "wheee!" factor considering its acceleration is neck and neck with the Raptor.

I am guessing that the bean counters have determined it is not in Ford's interest to hybrid-ize any form of the Super Duty engines, as an electric motor with the necessary power output to adequately assist the main ICE would be cost prohibitive on both the manufacturing side as well as the consumer side at the Super Duty level (and probably with a minimal efficiency gain, if at all). The biggest, and likely only, benefit the PowerBoost could offer the Super Duty series would be to enable the full spectrum of Pro Power Onboard (instead of current 2kw cap).
For the SuperDuty, that's exactly why I thought a PowerBoost would b included: onboard power. I figured a SuperDuty PB would get that plus some extra torque to get it off the line, especially when towing. If you could mate a PB with a diesel, I would think you would get a towing beast. However, I'm not an automotive engineer.

For the Ranger, I would think you could maybe keep the battery size as the F-150 PB and downsize the transmission to fit the Ranger (again, not a auto engineer). I figured you could get the Ranger the onboard power plus the low end torque with an average mpg around the 24 mark like the F-150 equivalent.

But I see what you're saying about battery size limitations. I thought that the body-on-frame would be more compatible with a hybrid powertrain, but I apparently am incorrect in my assumption. And with Ford splitting the ICE division from the EV division, I thought Ford would use the advancements from the EV side to push for hybridization for all vehicles in the event EV mandates get delayed. If 2030 turns into 2040, you could save face by showing how more efficient the ICE division is.

I don't know. Automotive technology is all over the place right now and the future is a clear as mud; it'll be BEV at some point, but the question is how long before that time comes.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
For the SuperDuty, that's exactly why I thought a PowerBoost would b included: onboard power. I figured a SuperDuty PB would get that plus some extra torque to get it off the line, especially when towing. If you could mate a PB with a diesel, I would think you would get a towing beast. However, I'm not an automotive engineer.

For the Ranger, I would think you could maybe keep the battery size as the F-150 PB and downsize the transmission to fit the Ranger (again, not a auto engineer). I figured you could get the Ranger the onboard power plus the low end torque with an average mpg around the 24 mark like the F-150 equivalent.

But I see what you're saying about battery size limitations. I thought that the body-on-frame would be more compatible with a hybrid powertrain, but I apparently am incorrect in my assumption. And with Ford splitting the ICE division from the EV division, I thought Ford would use the advancements from the EV side to push for hybridization for all vehicles in the event EV mandates get delayed. If 2030 turns into 2040, you could save face by showing how more efficient the ICE division is.

I don't know. Automotive technology is all over the place right now and the future is a clear as mud; it'll be BEV at some point, but the question is how long before that time comes.
A decent PHEV (~35 mile range) that can also utilize the battery for onboard power would be an absolute dream for Ford to roll out into their trucks (F-150, Ranger, and Maverick). I would gladly sacrifice all under-seat storage if it meant they could fit an ~18kWh pack in there.

My wife has a 6 month old 2022 Bolt EUV with almost 10k miles on it; I am fully sold on the practicality for BEV's for most people in most use cases. There will still be a strong contingency for the foreseeable future that requires some form of ICE, and I think PHEVs are an excellent way to make that transition for most people. But living through a cold Cleveland winter with my wife's EV (which only has a 260 mile range in good weather) made me a believer; interior is warm in 2 minutes and there is no exhaust to worry about in the garage.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
A decent PHEV (~35 mile range) that can also utilize the battery for onboard power would be an absolute dream for Ford to roll out into their trucks (F-150, Ranger, and Maverick). I would gladly sacrifice all under-seat storage if it meant they could fit an ~18kWh pack in there.

My wife has a 6 month old 2022 Bolt EUV with almost 10k miles on it; I am fully sold on the practicality for BEV's for most people in most use cases. There will still be a strong contingency for the foreseeable future that requires some form of ICE, and I think PHEVs are an excellent way to make that transition for most people. But living through a cold Cleveland winter with my wife's EV (which only has a 260 mile range in good weather) made me a believer; interior is warm in 2 minutes and there is no exhaust to worry about in the garage.
Ford could definitely shift the entire truck market by making the PowerBoost an actual line of vehicles for not just the trucks but also the Expedition and Bronco, too. It would be a huge endeavor that can't risk any major recalls. With Ford's issues in the past and present, I can see why a move like that would be too risky. Maybe after they build that battery plant we can see a PoweBoost series.

Yeah, I'm not there yet with an EV. I put over 70k miles on my 2020 Escape since I bought it brand new two years ago; I'll probably hit 100k before Christmas 2023. My apartment has nowhere to charge unless it's by the dark corner where car have been broken into. And since I'm an engineer, I have to make visits on site to meet with crews daily thus I don't really have a means to charge at work. Maybe after my fiancé get a house, we will look at replacing her old Hyundai with an EV. Until then (or until someone actually make a "game changing" advancement in solid state batteries instead of tossing that word around), I'm stuck with little turbo engines or hybrids.
Sponsored