• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I'll be looking at all manufactures that build a PHEV. Whomever does not build one, won't be in the running, therefore won't get my $$$.
What they show here looks very interesting.

Ricardo

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger 2.5 Diesel
Occupation
Engineer
Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) ranger-phev_au_beach-brunch-propower-r34-

Love the Old English Sheepdog in one of the photos, we use have one they are gentle giants just a bit clumsy have a lovely temperament safe great with children, have many memories of our bobtail, happy days she would have loved that fry up on the tailgate.

Certainly will be looking to buy one, l bet it will be extremely expensive, normally pay cash keep vehicles for about 15-17 years before l change them.

Our tyrannical council in Cornwall are introducing imposing blanket draconian 20 MPH speed limits across our county (similar to a US State) off main highways.

Ranger PHEV would be handy, as driving around everywhere at 20 MPH in second gear in my Ranger 2.5 diesel will become costly. With a Ranger PHEV l would probably run round on electric most days, only do long trips over 100 miles about 10-15 times a year now. Public UK electric charging infrastructure is abysmal pretty much non existent, don't think l would enjoy joining a 5 hour queue waiting to charge up a BEV on a long trip thats if you are lucky to find one that works, range anxiety on long trips don't want that.

BEV Ranger would be so heavy would be moved in higher UK Government taxation class making them prohibitively expensive to own, you would also need to do another heavy goods vehicle driving test to able to legally drive them on UK roads.

PHEV Ranger offers the best of both worlds, ICE quick fill-ups no range anxiety on long trips & offer cheap clean BEV truck locally in draconian imposed 20 MPH Cornish speed limits. Normally don't buy anything thats new to the market, till its had a proper shakedown for two years in service had all the early recalls problems sorted and hear all the problems owners have experienced, Aussie designed Rangers are pretty good not had any reliability issues at all on my Ranger, the 2.5 diesel was used in Jaguar/Land Rover & London black taxi cabs, only issue has been getting some spares from Ford that they don't make anymore, after market parts are cheaper & available not a problem, so l expect Ford's PHEV Ranger will be pretty good.

Last edited:

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
My truck gets parked outside and the idea of having plugging it in is a big drawback.
Well, the best thing about a PHEV is that you don't have to plug it in and it will still operate like a normal hybrid.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Well, the best thing about a PHEV is that you don't have to plug it in and it will still operate like a normal hybrid.
What do you think the ā€œPā€ is in PHEV?
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how-do-plug-in-hybrid-electric-cars-work#:~:text=Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles,internal combustion engine (ICE).

Why would anyone buy a PHEV if you never plan on plugging it in? Just give me a hybrid that the ICE charges the battery when the charge is low. No plug to mess with.

Sponsored

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor, '24 BMW IX EV
Occupation
None of your business!
Kinda disappointed. Ford should have just gone with the hybrid like Tacoma did. I already have EV which I love and so so convenient and cheap with home charging but for a truck, I'd rather have a hybrid (or diesel which is pretty much a dead horse now in US). Miss my diesel BMW X5 that used to give me 30mpg and a 600 mile range on a single tank of diesel.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ATC
What do you think the ā€œPā€ is in PHEV?
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how-do-plug-in-hybrid-electric-cars-work#:~:text=Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles,internal combustion engine (ICE).

Why would anyone buy a PHEV if you never plan on plugging it in? Just give me a hybrid that the ICE charges the battery when the charge is low. No plug to mess with.
I fully understand it is a plug-in hybrid and your flippant sarcasm is unnecessary, sir.

Once the all-electric capacity is depleted, it still operates as a traditional hybrid but with a substantially larger hybrid battery. Your comment mentioned about HAVING to plug it in, which is not necessary (albeit optimal for cost effectiveness and utilitarianism).

Those that might not have the ability to plug their vehicle in routinely might still opt for a PHEV so they have a larger battery pack to pull from and replenish when using the power on board feature. Those that like to boondock camp, those that frequent places where there are complimentary level 2 chargers, those that prefer a mid-size truck and work at job sites where the power on board would be massively beneficial, etc. all could benefit from the PHEV even if their place of residence isn't conveniently equipped to plug in routinely.

Rangering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Kinda disappointed. Ford should have just gone with the hybrid like Tacoma did. I already have EV which I love and so so convenient and cheap with home charging but for a truck, I'd rather have a hybrid (or diesel which is pretty much a dead horse now in US). Miss my diesel BMW X5 that used to give me 30mpg and a 600 mile range on a single tank of diesel.
Why ? The Tacoma hybrid will likely put up the same mpg numbers as the ranger. So what's the point?

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ATC
Why ? The Tacoma hybrid will likely put up the same mpg numbers as the ranger. So what's the point?
It's important to remember that (in all likelihood) a standard hybrid in any mid-size or larger truck will likely continue down the same road that Ford's PowerBoost and Toyota's i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrains are on: more concerned with torque/power delivery than fuel efficiency.

A "true" truck hybrid powertrain won't be complimenting a CVT and ICE that's engineered to sip fuel at the cost of HP and torque, it will be looking for ways to maximize low-end torque for the purposes of towing and power generation for the Power On Board system.

It will still see improved MPG numbers but only in a more nominal sense; probably closer to ~20% better MPG than a non-hybrid equivalent. The F-150 hybrid is pegged at 24mpg which is (on average) just over 15% more fuel efficient than its non-hybrid base engine variant. I believe the current estimates for the Tacoma hybrid are around 27mpg currently, which is roughly 20% more fuel efficient than its current 2.7l option. That means we could potentially get a Ranger that falls just short of 30mpg if the same metrics are applied.

The Maverick hybrid is the exception to this rule, as it has been developed and marketed for the purposes of fuel efficiency at the cost of ability to tow and go off pavement. I promise I am not trying to sound derogatory: it is a perfect suburban, Lowes/Home Depot, jet ski vehicle. Because the Ranger is still a body on frame pickup that will want to be able to tout itself as being "work/off road ready", it is unlikely a Ranger hybrid would mirror the Maverick more than the F-150.

That's why I would love to see the PHEV Ranger make it to the US sooner than later: a 45km all-electric range is ~28 miles, then roughly 30mpg highway on longer trips. My work commute is ~18 miles round-trip everyday so I would really be in the sweet-spot for maximum utilization of the PHEV.

pablo94sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I like the idea of a PHEV truck, but my fear with all of these is off road driving. A stream crossing in something like that seems like a recipe for disaster. Not a typical use case, but something that's fairly common for outdoor enthusiasts. I still haven't seen how Jeep and Toyota addressed this, or if anyone else really bothered asking.

Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I like the idea of a PHEV truck, but my fear with all of these is off road driving. A stream crossing in something like that seems like a recipe for disaster. Not a typical use case, but something that's fairly common for outdoor enthusiasts. I still haven't seen how Jeep and Toyota addressed this, or if anyone else really bothered asking.
Thereā€™s a butt load of Jeep 4XE PHEVā€™s out there with no reported water fording issues. Our off road club has at least 2 members with them and I have seen them in some pretty sketchy water situations multiple times with zero problems. Iā€™m sure that the engineers are fully aware of what their potential users will put them through.

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor, '24 BMW IX EV
Occupation
None of your business!
Ummm...Hybrid taco will have over 25mpg combined, according to unofficial sources....Ranger is 20mpg combined (confirmed on Ford's website). Looking at 4x4 trims (not Raptor nor TRD OffRoad)

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
Ranger is 22 combined. You must have looked at city...

And we shall see if the hybrid has a lot more mpg or not. Look at the Tundra, that is an example where they used hybrid for more power versus fuel economy.

pablo94sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Thereā€™s a butt load of Jeep 4XE PHEVā€™s out there with no reported water fording issues. Our off road club has at least 2 members with them and I have seen them in some pretty sketchy water situations multiple times with zero problems. Iā€™m sure that the engineers are fully aware of what their potential users will put them through.
Good to know. Thanks.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Thereā€™s a butt load of Jeep 4XE PHEVā€™s out there with no reported water fording issues.
The 4XE is the most popular Wrangler drive train (38% of sales). I think a PHEV Ranger will be just as popular.

The Ranger PHEVā€™s 28 miles of EV range will be more than enough for my typical city/suburban driving. My gasoline consumption will take a dramatic drop.

The towing ability will be phenomenal and the Pro Power Onboard will be able to power our home during a grid outage.

My biggest disappointment is how long we are going to have to wait for it in the USA.
Sponsored