• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
So basically, it's just a geographical demographic quirk :p Thanks for the detailed response. I imagine the same is true for the bars between the cab/bed too lol. Every market is uniquely different :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
So basically, it's just a geographical demographic quirk :p Thanks for the detailed response. I imagine the same is true for the bars between the cab/bed too lol. Every market is uniquely different :)
The sports bar is also very popular in the EU as well. I think most of the global markets that have the Ranger offer it. In that, the US is pretty much the exception. The one thing that the global product gets right over the US version is the availability of diesels. I still feel that is a very good usage for them. Its impossible to get decent MPG's out of a petrol motor on heavy body on frame trucks. Fords little eco does not do that great either. When the 2.3 is under boost its sucks it up. If Ford would offer their 2.2 bi turbo in the states then folks would be getting close to 30 mpgs. Easily. IMO, the electric stuff is still way off. The Range is still crap. Batteries don't perform as well in colder climates as well. But they do provide the needed low end torque. That's the only good thing about EV. But I'd take a diesel over that any day. In 2019 I test drove an American Ranger and compared to my Fiji truck I was extremely dissapointed. The suspension was crap with way too much rocking side to side etc.. Did not like the ride. Also the Big steel bumpers did not help the look. Safer yeah but nevertheless, I was not too crazy about it. I ended up with a 19 Pro 4 X frontier which I still have. Still want to get into a ranger. If Ford offers the 2.7 on a XLT I may be game. I'd probably get the space cab version since I need a bigger box over a rear seat. If they only offer it on a 60K dollar rapter then I'll probably go with the Colorado with their 2.7 IF they put the 10 speed into that. If not, back to the drawing board.

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I just realized that I can't see a physical door handle in the new Ranger's interior. Please tell me it's nothing electronic...

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I just realized that I can't see a physical door handle in the new Ranger's interior. Please tell me it's nothing electronic...
Looks like they relocated from the top/front of the door to lower middle. I think its around that silver trim piece in that location. No way they could use an electronic handle. Feds would never allow that if you know what I mean.

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Looks like they relocated from the top/front of the door to lower middle. I think its around that silver trim piece in that location. No way they could use an electronic handle. Feds would never allow that if you know what I mean.
I thought electronic door handles were legal. You see that sort of thing in Teslas (and basically every other electric passenger car or SUV) all the time. Are the rules different for trucks?

Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sports bar is also very popular in the EU as well. I think most of the global markets that have the Ranger offer it. In that, the US is pretty much the exception. The one thing that the global product gets right over the US version is the availability of diesels. I still feel that is a very good usage for them. Its impossible to get decent MPG's out of a petrol motor on heavy body on frame trucks. Fords little eco does not do that great either. When the 2.3 is under boost its sucks it up. If Ford would offer their 2.2 bi turbo in the states then folks would be getting close to 30 mpgs. Easily. IMO, the electric stuff is still way off. The Range is still crap. Batteries don't perform as well in colder climates as well. But they do provide the needed low end torque. That's the only good thing about EV. But I'd take a diesel over that any day. In 2019 I test drove an American Ranger and compared to my Fiji truck I was extremely dissapointed. The suspension was crap with way too much rocking side to side etc.. Did not like the ride. Also the Big steel bumpers did not help the look. Safer yeah but nevertheless, I was not too crazy about it. I ended up with a 19 Pro 4 X frontier which I still have. Still want to get into a ranger. If Ford offers the 2.7 on a XLT I may be game. I'd probably get the space cab version since I need a bigger box over a rear seat. If they only offer it on a 60K dollar rapter then I'll probably go with the Colorado with their 2.7 IF they put the 10 speed into that. If not, back to the drawing board.
Honestly, the F-150 with the 2.7 is the closest competition for my next purchase right now. (mayyyybe the new Frontier, but it's about to be leapfrogged by everyone) I love that engine and the f-150 is only a few hundred pounds heavier than the current Ranger, so it scoots. Definitely jealous of the torque-y diesels global markets get.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Honestly, the F-150 with the 2.7 is the closest competition for my next purchase right now. (mayyyybe the new Frontier, but it's about to be leapfrogged by everyone) I love that engine and the f-150 is only a few hundred pounds heavier than the current Ranger, so it scoots. Definitely jealous of the torque-y diesels global markets get.
Ironically, the 2.7 in the ranger would probably get better MPG's as well. But i'm more then a bit fearful of smaller boosted petrol motors. Some talk about oil dilution on the 2.3 is is worrisome (I do allot of small commutes where the motor does not heat up to operating temps). I test drove a new Frontier P4X and that new Daimler benz 9 speed and 3.8 is a pretty smooth drivetrain. They did ALLOT to improve the ride as well. Its a good refresh but was not enough to pull me away from my 19 P4X. Plus they are too expensive for what it is. They should have made it a little bigger to compete with the Ranger. Its still on the same old F-alpha box frame. A bit too narrow for a modern mid size. Nissan just did not have the cash to build a new platform. It will do well with existing mid sizers but once the next GM/Ford/Toy come out it will be dated. But I don't think the next gens will be out until spring of 2023. I don't think the chip shortage is helping.

Last edited:

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I thought electronic door handles were legal. You see that sort of thing in Teslas (and basically every other electric passenger car or SUV) all the time. Are the rules different for trucks?
I don't know but in a crash I'm thinking something electronic that has no power is a very bad idea.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ironically, the 2.7 in the ranger would probably get better MPG's as well. But i'm more then a bit fearful of smaller boosted petrol motors. Some talk about oil dilution on the 2.3 is is worrisome. I test drove a new Frontier P4X and that new Daimler benz 9 speed and 3.8 is a pretty smooth drivetrain. They did ALLOT to improve the ride as well. Its a good refresh but was not enough to pull me away from my 19 P4X. Plus they are too expensive for what it is. They should have made it a little bigger to compete with the Ranger. Its still on the same old F-alpha box frame. A bit too narrow for a modern mid size. Nissan just did not have the cash to build a new platform. It will do well with existing mid sizers but once the next GM/Ford/Toy come out it will be dated.
The 2.7 has been around for a while, which is reassuring. They iterated on/improved it in 2018, too. I like tiny boosted gas engines because I can stay out of the boost and get solid fuel economy, but the power is there when I need it. Very torque-y, like a baby diesel, but retains the horsepower.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
The 2.7 has been around for a while, which is reassuring. They iterated on/improved it in 2018, too. I like tiny boosted gas engines because I can stay out of the boost and get solid fuel economy, but the power is there when I need it. Very torque-y, like a baby diesel, but retains the horsepower.
You got me thinking. One can buy a F150 STX 4X4 Supercab with the 2.7 for around 43K. The back seat is still about as roomy as a ranger and you got a 6.5 foot box. Never really considered a full size but it always seems the mid sizers are intentionally compromised.

Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You got me thinking. One can buy a F150 STX 4X4 Supercab with the 2.7 for around 43K. The back seat is still about as roomy as a ranger and you got a 6.5 foot box. Never really considered a full size but it always seems the mid sizers are intentionally compromised.
This is my current conundrum right now, lol. X-Plan pricing is much more aggressive with the F-150 vs the Ranger, and I could get a tricked out super crew XLT for less than $10k more than a base lariat ranger - even closer with the supercab (Or a tricked out STX for not much more) F-150 gets all the fun stuff since it's the cash cow.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
You can see through the shape and dimension changes they are thinking about future and present needs. ie fitting the V6 Diesel.
The front shape makes me think of the F 150 Lightning Frunk. The PHEV is going to need that extra space for cooling and fitment. The interior thankfully looks more spacious then the previous gen and the bed has more room. I like the front wheels pushed forward and the outer mounted shocks.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
This is my current conundrum right now, lol. X-Plan pricing is much more aggressive with the F-150 vs the Ranger, and I could get a tricked out super crew XLT for less than $10k more than a base lariat ranger - even closer with the supercab (Or a tricked out STX for not much more) F-150 gets all the fun stuff since it's the cash cow.
On Fords build site I tricked out a XLT 4X4 with 10 grand worth of options for just over 50K. And unlike the Ranger you can put the B&O sound system on the XLT. With the Ranger you can only add that to the top lariat trim. I know people are paying 50K for the new frontier P4X with addendums. Top of the line Rangers are pushing near 50K as well.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Fords build site I tricked out a XLT 4X4 with 10 grand worth of options for just over 50K. And unlike the Ranger you can put the B&O sound system on the XLT. With the Ranger you can only add that to the top lariat trim. I know people are paying 50K for the new frontier P4X with addendums. Top of the line Rangers are pushing near 50K as well.
One of my biggest gripes with the ranger is that I can't get an XLT with LEDs... Can with the F-150 :) The cost to upgrade them after the fact is astronomical.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Are we talking about the 6G or 5G. Sounds like a new thread should be created.
Sponsored