• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350 and 2022 Ford Escape
The 2.3L from the '80s was a completely different engine from the turbo engine in current use in multiple Fords, including the Ranger.

The 2021 F-150 PowerBoost uses the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 along with an electric motor in series with the torque converter. That's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison though since the 3.5 does use both port and direct injection.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about coking on the 2.3 in the Ranger. That generally is more of an issue under low-load conditions. With the amount of weight it has to carry around in the Ranger I doubt there will be all that many low-load episodes.

If you are that concerned you could also add an oil separator into the PCV system, if Ford hasn't already.
Ford added port injection on the 3.5 eco to avoid problems. Until they add it on the other engines you may have trouble. I run Techron in my 2.0 ecoboost
Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Ford added port injection on the 3.5 eco to avoid problems. Until they add it on the other engines you may have trouble. I run Techron in my 2.0 ecoboost
That's a bit of an assumption. Although there may be some validity to that Ford will tell you that port injection was added to the EcoBoost engines to improve performance and efficiency.
BTW, ALL F-150 gas engines have had both port and direct injection since 2018. That includes the standard 3.3L V6 and the 5.0L V8, neither of which is a turbo engine. The addition of direct injection on the 5.0L allowed the compression ratio to be bumped from 11:1 to 12:1 while still being able to run on 87 octane. That's no small accomplishment. DI is not all bad.

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
That's a bit of an assumption. Although there may be some validity to that Ford will tell you that port injection was added to the EcoBoost engines to improve performance and efficiency.
BTW, ALL F-150 gas engines have had both port and direct injection since 2018. That includes the standard 3.3L V6 and the 5.0L V8, neither of which is a turbo engine. The addition of direct injection on the 5.0L allowed the compression ratio to be bumped from 11:1 to 12:1 while still being able to run on 87 octane. That's no small accomplishment. DI is not all bad.
On this note, the new Mustang 2.3 has dual injection, and the Nano V6 family had it from day one (the 2.7 and 3.0). I haven't seen what version of the 2.3 is going in the ROW Ranger, Everest and Amarok but I presume the same as the N/A 5G Ranger.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc