• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2023 New York Auto Show Reveal for 2024 Ranger?

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Ford has committed to the next gen apple car play which is also delayed. I’m wondering if that may have something to do with the delay too. That or who knows? Ford owes us nothing we get it when we get it
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
What's the hurry? There's going to be multiple viable options for us as time unfolds. IMO, patience is indeed a virtue here. Self-imposed deadlines and added pressure cloud my decision-making processes and might lead me to foolishly abandon my normally thorough research and vetting process before reaching a final purchase decision. All new vehicles have growing pains these days, and the last thing I want is buyers remorse after a hasty decision from FOMO.
YMMV
I totally agree. I have only 26,000 on my 2019 Lariat, so I can afford to wait. The options are only going to keep getting better and better from here on...

BadBoyBillyRaptorRanger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I want to know if Ford has employed the same group of kindergartners that chose the interior color options for the Bronco.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
So they're basically going to drop the official reveal right before the order banks open. (unless the order bank date has been pushed out again.) 😒

Sponsored

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
If 6G in non-Raptor form has the same 2.3L motor, same transmission, same T6 frame, and has the same available body configurations... Why not just keep the 5G?

There's a chance there may be long bed crew cab or an optional bigger motor or some other change but, if those don't happen, why switch?

The only substantive differences would be the interior screen size and a new grill with built-in bumper, right?

What am I missing?

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
If 6G in non-Raptor form has the same 2.3L motor, same transmission, same T6 frame, and has the same available body configurations... Why not just keep the 5G?

There's a chance there may be long bed crew cab or an optional bigger motor or some other change but, if those don't happen, why switch?

The only substantive differences would be the interior screen size and a new grill with built-in bumper, right?

What am I missing?
Allegedly the entire interior has be redesigned. The leaked photos definitely look like a substantial aesthetic improvement; I'm hoping that means better ergonomics too because the 5g didn't feel roomy or impressive when compared to the new Maverick and some of its direct competitors.

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Don't take this the wrong way- not trying to be dismissive or argumentative here as that's not my intent, but the substantial changes are 100% documented. Take a few minutes to search the forum here and you'll find really good info posted by our friends in OZ- including a VERY detailed and informative video from a tech shop in Australia showing the new 6G (as we call it for NA) that shows them completely disassemble a new Ranger down to the bare frame in a warehouse and lay out all the pieces for examination and documentation. It answered all questions for me about what the new platform is- and isn't. I promise you won't be disappointed watching it :)

There are 2 main things design wise I had seen reported by official Ford sources the video seems to confirm: the rear shocks were moved outside the frame rails like F-150 has them, as a response to known issues with 5G rear end being skittish and "bouncy" under normal conditions in stock form. Then they widened the front track and engine compartment to match the rear. A side effect of this allowed some reimagining of space and configuration of interior for better ergonomics vs. 5G.

I sat in a 5G in 2019 when 1 appeared at my dealer showroom. Climbed under it, hoped in and out of the bed, etc.- and it's just not the right fit for me compared against the previous Rangers I owned and the 2018 F-150 we bought there. I also continued on researching Maverick when it was still just an unconfirmed rumor, attended a dealer training session locally and finally test drove an FX-4 and XLT ECO that convinced me to buy 1. My personal opinion is the interior is roomier and more functionally a fit for me than 5G Ranger I sat in.

1 last thing to consider: Current Bronco and new 6G Ranger are supposed to be using the same T6 platform and many shared components right? I've never spent a single minute investigating this since I have a Jeep GC and only interested in mid-size truck that may be upgrade over my Maverick. Maybe you guys with the extensive Bronco knowledge can confirm/deny the shared platform? If true, that's real-world proof if there's substantial difference between 5G & 6G Rangers. Would love to hear comments from Bronco experts on this angle. :sunglasses:

Sory about the novel length posting here...

Reactions: MJE

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
Don't take this the wrong way- not trying to be dismissive or argumentative here as that's not my intent, but the substantial changes are 100% documented. Take a few minutes to search the forum here and you'll find really good info posted by our friends in OZ- including a VERY detailed and informative video from a tech shop in Australia showing the new 6G (as we call it for NA) that shows them completely disassemble a new Ranger down to the bare frame in a warehouse and lay out all the pieces for examination and documentation. It answered all questions for me about what the new platform is- and isn't. I promise you won't be disappointed watching it :)

There are 2 main things design wise I had seen reported by official Ford sources the video seems to confirm: the rear shocks were moved outside the frame rails like F-150 has them, as a response to known issues with 5G rear end being skittish and "bouncy" under normal conditions in stock form. Then they widened the front track and engine compartment to match the rear. A side effect of this allowed some reimagining of space and configuration of interior for better ergonomics vs. 5G.

I sat in a 5G in 2019 when 1 appeared at my dealer showroom. Climbed under it, hoped in and out of the bed, etc.- and it's just not the right fit for me compared against the previous Rangers I owned and the 2018 F-150 we bought there. I also continued on researching Maverick when it was still just an unconfirmed rumor, attended a dealer training session locally and finally test drove an FX-4 and XLT ECO that convinced me to buy 1. My personal opinion is the interior is roomier and more functionally a fit for me than 5G Ranger I sat in.

1 last thing to consider: Current Bronco and new 6G Ranger are supposed to be using the same T6 platform and many shared components right? I've never spent a single minute investigating this since I have a Jeep GC and only interested in mid-size truck that may be upgrade over my Maverick. Maybe you guys with the extensive Bronco knowledge can confirm/deny the shared platform? If true, that's real-world proof if there's substantial difference between 5G & 6G Rangers. Would love to hear comments from Bronco experts on this angle. :sunglasses:

Sory about the novel length posting here...
Yes, the G6 Bronco and G6 Ranger are/will be built on the T6 platform and will share many components, mostly mechanical like suspension, drive-train and such.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Yes, the G6 Bronco and G6 Ranger are/will be built on the T6 platform and will share many components, mostly mechanical like suspension, drive-train and such.
If I'm not mistaken, it is actually the T6.2 platform, a slightly modified T6 platform. I believe the 5G uses the T6 platform. If I'm wrong about that, apologies....

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
The 5G Ranger is built on the T6 platform already. Right?

I've heard the new one is T6.2, though I've never been able to figure out what that means

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
The 5G Ranger is built on the T6 platform already. Right?

I've heard the new one is T6.2, though I've never been able to figure out what that means
We must have been posting at the same time. :LOL:

The T6.2 from my understanding is a T6 that has been slightly modified. Most of it is the same, but there were a few tweaks (as listed above - rear shocks, front track width, etc) - some of it was to allow the 2.7 to fit under the hood.
Sponsored