• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last time I checked I cant go down to a local Ford dealer and pick out a Ranger they have none on the lot. At least you can get a Tacomo off a Toyota lot.
Where? My local toyota dealerships have just as many 2024 toyotas on the lot as my local ford dealer has 2024 rangers on the lot. That number is 0 btw.

Toyota claimed they would have these trucks on the lot by december 2023, and as of now the earliest my dealership will have one available is April 2024.

Regardless if I'm spending $50k on a truck I'd prefer to order one to my specific needs versus "making do" with whatever Toyota Corp thinks I should have.
Sponsored

wolf32v

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair, Ranger Raptor on the way.
Occupation
Railroader
FWIW: I was "holding out" for a Supercab +6' bed option like the previous generation offered and so did our 2018 F-150. In fact I ordered a 6th Gen from my local trusted Ford dealer as he seemed pretty sure SCab would be offered at Job 2 and we could simply change my order later. I held onto that order until the strike and cancelled as I was tired of waiting and had already bought a Maverick from them as a placeholder to trade back to them after my new Ranger came in :facepalm:

At 13 months of getting by with the Maverick, I figured it was time to go to Plan B which was the new 3rd Gen Nissan Frontier, which I had already learned had a King Cab (SCab) + 6' bed standard AND a naturally Aspirated 310 HP V-6! Had not seen 1 in person or driven 1 as I sat back and watched and waited on a Ranger- there were MANY Frontiers within 250 miles of me that moved slowly at times so figured Plan B would always be there. Finally learned of a Nissan dealer 90 miles from me and saw a 2024 King Cab long bed SV in his inventory and dopped in unannounced and kicked the tires and test drove it. It was a perfect fit for me overall, but I didn't need the 4WD and wanted the SV Convenience package with bedliner, tow package and more that his didn't have.

Long story short, this dealer turned out to be 1 of the good ones and worked with me to grab the exact truck I wanted in transit to another dealer and no BS in the deal and I've had it 4 months and 1k miles now and love it. It has that SV Convenience package + Technology package I really didn't want/need + factory installed mud flaps and floor liner package you can't delete. Some of the stuff I actually grew to like and almost all the lane change and other Nanny tech have to be enabled on purpose so I don't even notice them. All this for $37, 500 OTD. I would put this truck up against a loaded Ranger XLT any day and even a basic Lariat feature wise w/o leather seats and other interior upgrades it may have standard that I don't want/need either- and still come out ahead price and feature wise and got this powertrain that is vastly better than the Ranger.

Might be worth a look at least on-line as an alternative to waiting on the Ranger but as always YMMV.
The Nissan engine is way under powered for current times, the rear seats have way less space then the Ranger, and the 2.7 ecoboost will be a much better engine performance wise.

Robo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5, VW Atlas
FWIW: I was "holding out" for a Supercab +6' bed option like the previous generation offered and so did our 2018 F-150. In fact I ordered a 6th Gen from my local trusted Ford dealer as he seemed pretty sure SCab would be offered at Job 2 and we could simply change my order later. I held onto that order until the strike and cancelled as I was tired of waiting and had already bought a Maverick from them as a placeholder to trade back to them after my new Ranger came in :facepalm:

At 13 months of getting by with the Maverick, I figured it was time to go to Plan B which was the new 3rd Gen Nissan Frontier, which I had already learned had a King Cab (SCab) + 6' bed standard AND a naturally Aspirated 310 HP V-6! Had not seen 1 in person or driven 1 as I sat back and watched and waited on a Ranger- there were MANY Frontiers within 250 miles of me that moved slowly at times so figured Plan B would always be there. Finally learned of a Nissan dealer 90 miles from me and saw a 2024 King Cab long bed SV in his inventory and dopped in unannounced and kicked the tires and test drove it. It was a perfect fit for me overall, but I didn't need the 4WD and wanted the SV Convenience package with bedliner, tow package and more that his didn't have.

Long story short, this dealer turned out to be 1 of the good ones and worked with me to grab the exact truck I wanted in transit to another dealer and no BS in the deal and I've had it 4 months and 1k miles now and love it. It has that SV Convenience package + Technology package I really didn't want/need + factory installed mud flaps and floor liner package you can't delete. Some of the stuff I actually grew to like and almost all the lane change and other Nanny tech have to be enabled on purpose so I don't even notice them. All this for $37, 500 OTD. I would put this truck up against a loaded Ranger XLT any day and even a basic Lariat feature wise w/o leather seats and other interior upgrades it may have standard that I don't want/need either- and still come out ahead price and feature wise and got this powertrain that is vastly better than the Ranger.

Might be worth a look at least on-line as an alternative to waiting on the Ranger but as always YMMV.
I will preface this by saying I have not driven the new Frontier so it could be a vastly superior truck to the previous gen and all of my concerns could be moot. But after owning two previous gen Frontiers (2005 and 2013) I am a little concerned that this new gen still won't compare to other trucks like the new Ranger (or 5G Ranger) or even the 2000 Dodge Dakota I owned.

Among other problems, my two previous Frontiers (although mostly decent vehicles) didn't have that solid "truck" like quality to them. The Frontiers were both extremely "shaky" over rough roads and off-road terrain. I would drive over some paved roads that were in rough condition and the entire truck would bounce around and the back end would get very squirrely. Even from day one. They just didn't have a solid confidence inspiring feel when driving them. Not to mention the turning radius of a school bus and the poor 15MPG!

The Dakota I owned (even though several years older than my Frontiers) was far more planted and could handle any terrain I threw at it. I miss that truck! I sold it to my brother-in-law when I bought my first Frontier. It was a beast and finally died on him 2 years ago. :(

Anyway.... I hope you are happy with your Frontier, and that it doesn't suffer from the woes the previous gens had. Maybe someday I will be back to Nissan, but for now I am really excited about my new Ranger build!

SCFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 RRaptor, '22 Ford Bronco, '18 Raptor Prior
Same thing can be said with Ford with all their problems like no 360 camera on the Explorers and material holds on orders. Last time I checked I cant go down to a local Ford dealer and pick out a Ranger they have none on the lot. At least you can get a Tacomo off a Toyota lot. I never said I could custom order a Tacomo I was original talking about how europe and asia get more chooses on their Rangers and wish we had the same features like rear air vents and handles to pull you into to the truck at every door opening like the other markets have. You dont have to order a Raptor to get the auto 4wd its available on the other models oveseas to name a few. Everyone is waiting for what they want and this market it just missed up. You can order a Ranger when you get thats anybodys guess.
https://www.landerstoyota.com/inven...PJ4pDowJJZ11eJtzbdQVnWzaDojVtcPRoCFBcQAvD_BwE
Story as old as time that transcends manufacturers, people always want what the can't have and take for granted what they do have.
We also get several items that the other markets don't Like more power from the factory on the RR, Back sliding glass and Memory drivers seat for instance. This and previous Ranger were designed with the Australian Market in mind which is not a bad thing at all and has apparently worked as the ranger has dethroned the Hilux as the top selling midsize there (That could change when the redesigned Hilux comes out)

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
The Nissan engine is way under powered for current times, the rear seats have way less space then the Ranger, and the 2.7 ecoboost will be a much better engine performance wise.
so you obviously haven't driven 1 then! The motor is 3.8L and 310 hp -WITHOUT NEEDING A TURBO and runs on 87 octane. The only time Ecoboost engines perform like mine is when you are heavy into the boost- and then your MPG goes to crap. I just upgraded from a Maverick that was also ecoboost (250 hp) and recommended 91 octane for best overall performance. There's an old saying here that fits: there's no replacement for displacement! :LOL:

And who the hell cares about rear seats in a TRUCK? are you going to be spending all YOUR time back there on long drives? The main reason I gave up on the Ranger (I've owned 4 + 2 Rancheros) is they shit the bed only offering that stupid Crew Cab and useless short bed. I already have an F-150 and Grand Cherokee for the 2 times per year we might have somebody in a rear seat. I just want to be able to carry my motorcycles comfortably and occasional larger loads + a little extra room in the cab for cycle gear and other stuff I want locked inside sometimes- you know, like a truck?

Sponsored

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
I would refute the "Perform like mine" claim. The 2.3l ecoboost makes the bulk of its power under 1700 rpm. The ecoboosts are actually very good at having the power come in down low.

The 2.3l makes it's peak torque at 3000 rpm (310lb-ft) where as the 3.8l is at 4400 rpm (281 lb-ft).

Horsepower is swapped, although 5500 rpm (270 hp) versus 6400 rpm (310 hp). That is screaming on the non turbo engine.

The ecoboost is over 200 hp at 3500 rpm, and the 3.8l hits 200 hp around 4800 rpm. (Hard to find good engine curves for the 3.8l.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bt_okst

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor and 24 Bronco Sport OBX
so you obviously haven't driven 1 then! The motor is 3.8L and 310 hp -WITHOUT NEEDING A TURBO and runs on 87 octane. The only time Ecoboost engines perform like mine is when you are heavy into the boost- and then your MPG goes to crap. I just upgraded from a Maverick that was also ecoboost (250 hp) and recommended 91 octane for best overall performance. There's an old saying here that fits: there's no replacement for displacement! :LOL:

And who the hell cares about rear seats in a TRUCK? are you going to be spending all YOUR time back there on long drives? The main reason I gave up on the Ranger (I've owned 4 + 2 Rancheros) is they shit the bed only offering that stupid Crew Cab and useless short bed. I already have an F-150 and Grand Cherokee for the 2 times per year we might have somebody in a rear seat. I just want to be able to carry my motorcycles comfortably and occasional larger loads + a little extra room in the cab for cycle gear and other stuff I want locked inside sometimes- you know, like a truck?
Lots of people need back seat legroom. And not all of us need the giant size of a full size truck. So these midsize trucks need to have some legroom.

Just because you don't use a truck in that way doesn't mean others don't. And the Nissan truck was the cheapest looking fit and finish of any I saw at the car show I attended.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Lots of people need back seat legroom. And not all of us need the giant size of a full size truck. So these midsize trucks need to have some legroom.

Just because you don't use a truck in that way doesn't mean others don't. And the Nissan truck was the cheapest looking fit and finish of any I saw at the car show I attended.
I wasn't advocating for Full size trucks here, though we own 1 for bigger hauling and towing jobs. What did people who "need" back seat legroom do before there was ever a crew cab configuration in mid size? That/those options still exist, right? We're a family of 2 and retired, yet each still have an SUV of our own preference as well as trucks for trucky things so no compromises needed in our trucks.

looks are in the eye of the beholder here. My Frontier is leaps and bounds better than the Maverick I just had, and the 5th Gen Ranger I checked out as far as workmanship and quality of interior and exterior fit and finish. Better than the 4 previous Rangers I owned too.
Sponsored