Sponsored

Cabin Vibrations at highway speeds (70 mph+)

az ranger

Member
First Name
peter
Joined
May 5, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 ford ranger lariat
Good evening, I have searched both bronco and ranger forums on this as I'm having cabin vibrations at highway speeds around 70 mph+. Typically its a gradual shake and comes and goes. Not really noticeable <60 mph. If this has already been answered/addressed, please share because I cannot find a good answer.

At approximately 10k miles on my 2025 Ranger lariat sport, I put on a 2.5 superlift level, fuel rebel 6x139.7 +1 and BFG ko3 285/70/17 tires, and also got alignment completed. I will say, they were originally listed as tacoma, but looking at the hub bore, assuming the wheels are tacoma hub bore of 95.1 as opposed to the 93.1.

I was experiencing vibration in the tires right from the get go. I had costco try and balance x3 within 6k miles. I then took them to discount tire where they road force balanced. They were better but still was getting cabin rattle at highway speeds. Discount tire warrantied the bfg's and replaced with falken wildpeak at4's, 275/70/17. I went smaller as falken's to match bfg weight (think bfg's were 65 lbs, falkens smaller are still 66 lbs). And falkens are a better overall tire, but I'm still getting highway rattle.

I took to an independent mechanic chain to see if there is anything they can find, and their recommendation was for hub centric rings, but I had thought the wheels were 106.1 as listed on fuels website, not the 95.1 bore to the tacoma. Found that out after I went back to discount to install the hub rings, and the tech told me they were now "within stock balance standards" something to ~ 35?

I have tried to read even the bronco forums on this issue as they are on the same Ranger platform, and one of the threads were talking about the driveshaft being out of alignment after leveling kit, or driveshaft balance?

I really like this truck and the 2.7, and I understand with a/t tires it's not going to run like a cadillac, but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this issue. Also, like a dummy, I sold my oem wheels so I can't just throw them on to compare the ride. I've considered getting bronco sasquatch take offs because I don't think stock ranger 17" wheels with the +55 offset will not rub with the larger tires. The sasquatch wheels are +25 offset from what I've researched. Or again, should I get the stock ranger and through a hubcentric 1" spacer?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored

 

AugPal

Well-Known Member
First Name
Augie
Joined
Nov 8, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
393
Reaction score
329
Location
Chicago
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger XLT 2018 Ford Fiesta 2026 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired IBEW
Were you having the Vibration issue with your OEM wheels?
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

az ranger

Member
First Name
peter
Joined
May 5, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 ford ranger lariat
…and was the suspension modified at the same time the new wheels and tires were installed?
So I had done everything within a week of each other. I just did the lifetime alignment through firestone so I immediately got the alignment on the way home from the spacer iinstall and then again after the wheel/tire combo was installed.

The reason why I don't notice that often is I work from home, and drive surface streets and vibrations not noticeable. And here in AZ, the freeway is under construction so speed limit is 55 (which go a bit faster, but not 75+) and the roads under construction, so I brushed it off as the road is unever/under construction so ride quality varies. But when I'm on a smooth stretch of freeway not under construction, that's where I notice the most.
 

Sponsored

Jason B

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,502
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
machinist
5G Rangers had a rough time with drive shaft balance issues, usually due to pinion angle being off. As little as 1 degree makes a difference. Many went with a one-piece drive shaft that cleared the problem.

And I'll leave this here, for reference only,
Ford Ranger Cabin Vibrations at highway speeds (70 mph+) 1789653896946-3z
 
OP
OP

az ranger

Member
First Name
peter
Joined
May 5, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 ford ranger lariat
5G Rangers had a rough time with drive shaft balance issues, usually due to pinion angle being off. As little as 1 degree makes a difference. Many went with a one-piece drive shaft that cleared the problem.

And I'll leave this here, for reference only,
1789653896946-3z.webp
Appreciate the reply Jason, and my post was a little convoluted, but that is why I now have falken's on the truck. They do definitely ride better than the k03s, but the freeway vibration is still there. I have looked at the driveline as being the possible culprit in this case too. But want to rule out the wheel/tire/level combo first. Something keeps bringing me back to the hub difference on the fuel wheels.
 

bigb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Brian
Joined
Aug 6, 2025
Threads
62
Messages
815
Reaction score
994
Location
Tucson
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger 2.7
Appreciate the reply Jason, and my post was a little convoluted, but that is why I now have falken's on the truck. They do definitely ride better than the k03s, but the freeway vibration is still there. I have looked at the driveline as being the possible culprit in this case too. But want to rule out the wheel/tire/level combo first. Something keeps bringing me back to the hub difference on the fuel wheels.
There used to be shops that could balance the wheel and tire assembly on the vehicle, not sure if you can find that anywhere these days though. That could rule the hub difference out.

Other than that maybe look for a set of takeoffs for testing then resell when finished.
 

MJ12

Well-Known Member
First Name
MJ
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
57
Reaction score
71
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Batman
Check that you're in 2WD?
 

Jason B

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,502
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
machinist
Now that I think about it, I sometimes have a little vibration at high speeds. Here in Louisiana, it's rare to find a nice smooth road to rule out road issues. I also have a 2.5 level lift, but with stock wheels and tires. Maybe the lift throws out the pinion angle? I thought maybe I screwed up one of the axle CV joints, which I need to check out.
As I mentioned, 5G had driveshaft vibrations, but those had standard U-joints, whereas 6G uses a CV at the rear axle. Would that matter? I don't know.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP

az ranger

Member
First Name
peter
Joined
May 5, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 ford ranger lariat
Check that you're in 2WD?
Confirmed 2wd only. Don’t even think I’ve had to throw it in 4h or low since I’ve had it. It’s been a mall crawler.
 

MJ12

Well-Known Member
First Name
MJ
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
57
Reaction score
71
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Batman
Confirmed 2wd only. Don’t even think I’ve had to throw it in 4h or low since I’ve had it. It’s been a mall crawler.
Hmmm just checking... I drove around for about 15 minutes one day not realizing somehow the mode got changed to to 4H
 

Jason B

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,502
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
machinist
Hmmm just checking... I drove around for about 15 minutes one day not realizing somehow the mode got changed to to 4H
Same here. Left home one morning and steering felt funny. About 5 miles down the road I realized it was in 4WD. My assumption is that I accidentally hit the button instead of ASS.

Back to the original issue. I now think I have a different vibe issue than OP, as I feel it at lower speeds, too, starting around 30 MPH.
 

Morningpride

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Nov 11, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
125
Reaction score
155
Location
Philadelphia
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger LT STX
You need to verify if the vibration is coming from the wheels/tires, or the cv joint angle. I would think that if the tires were changed, and you still have a vibration, it might be those front driveshafts. I experienced this exact scenario on an older IFS Toyota. Lifted the truck 2 inches and it had a vibration when the hubs were locked. Unfortunately for us, the front driveshafts spin all the time. When you add those “puck” spacers, it throws the cv angle out of whack. 2.5 inches is a LOT for a puck level.
 
Last edited:

Arsenall11

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Feb 11, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
767
Reaction score
821
Location
Maple Valley Wa
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical contractor
My sons is 1.5” puck stock wheels, 1.5”spacers hub centric KO3, no vibration. But, it did eat a cv joint that still turned but caused a vibration. Our dealer changed it under warranty no issues now.

Ford Ranger Cabin Vibrations at highway speeds (70 mph+) IMG_0440
Sponsored

 
 







Top