• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

If you're leaning Colorado, consider this.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
If you wish to compare engines look at the 2.7L Eco boost in the Bronco. 400 lb/ft. It all depends how you drive it and what mode you drive it in. It averages 17 to 19 MPG

Ford Ranger If you're leaning Colorado, consider this. Screenshot 2023-05-23 183321
Sponsored

Last edited:

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Curious to see numbers for the Ranger as well to compare. My first reaction (I follow the Colorado forums too) is that’s really full size truck mileage. I was kinda surprised when it was rated so low. I can’t imagine the Ranger being any worse.

Curious to see what Toyota does with the hybrid in the Tacoma. It can’t do worse than the Tundra I’m sure, but also surely can’t beat out the RX500h. So mid 20’s maybe? The F150 hybrid I thought got 24 across the board. I’d think the Taco would have to beat that.

Ford Ranger If you're leaning Colorado, consider this. IMG_4928

Ford Ranger If you're leaning Colorado, consider this. IMG_4927

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
old gearhead proverb: there's no replacement for displacement. That Frontier with naturally aspirated V6 making 310hp and getting 18/24/20 mpg looking pretty good right now. Runs on regular 87 octane too. My Maverick turbo is recommended to run 91 for best overall performance.
Exactly, I was just talking about in terms of MPG. People think smaller engine equals less fuel used and that is simply not true.

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I don't get the argument.

As the top tier trim, it should be compared to the Ranger Raptor - which if I was a betting man, is not going to be much better off.

Why are comparisons being made to all ranger trims?

All of the offroad trims get worse mileage when sharing the engine across the entire platform due to tire size, ride height, less efficient aero, etc etc.

Reactions: DHH

BlckHwk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 Duramax
As an owner of a Canyon AT4X I can assure you the fuel mileage numbers are much better than advertised. I have averaged 18.6 mpg over the life of the vehicle (2600 miles) and am currently averaging 21 mpg on this tank. The lowest I have ever seen in mixed driving is 17.5 mpg.

Sponsored

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
As an owner of a Canyon AT4X I can assure you the fuel mileage numbers are much better than advertised. I have averaged 18.6 mpg over the life of the vehicle (2600 miles) and am currently averaging 21 mpg on this tank. The lowest I have ever seen in mixed driving is 17.5 mpg.
I was really close to getting that. How do you like it? How long have you had it?

BlckHwk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 Duramax
I was really close to getting that. How do you like it? How long have you had it?
I’ve had it for just about a month now. It is almost the perfect truck but there are a few things that are just head scratchers.

First, there are no physical controls for the headlights. There is a quick access menu at the top of the infotainment screen but it requires you to take your eyes off the road. Normally not an issue if you keep your headlights on auto but the engineers at GM saw fit not to include a way to adjust the auto headlight sensor sensitivity. There are several times during dusk or dawn hours that I would like headlights on but the auto setting does not register it is dark enough. Also, there is no way to turn on your fog lights in the quick access menu. To do that you need to go three screens deep into the vehicle icon app on the home screen

Second, no home link or powered rear window. $62K truck and those should be no-brainers

Third, the back seat is on the borderline of too small and just right. The manufacturer that figures out that people want a midsize truck that offers back seat space that is between the massive 8 inches of leg room left after the front seat is pushed all the way back in full size trucks, and the current midsize trucks that have barely enough room for pre-teens and kids will win the midsize truck race.

As far as performance goes, this truck hauls. It routinely breaks traction if I put my foot in it and keep it in 2WD. It is almost always in boost which probably accounts for the low EPA numbers (seriously on cold start ups if put it in drive during its high idle cycle you better hold on).

Air conditioning and the ventilated seats are very good, and the truck is very quiet on the highway. The lane keeping assist in this truck is magic (only use it for long highway trips) .The Ford system is good but it’s notchy and you know it’s there. This one, the truck just seems to stay in the center and you never feel like the system is being intrusive.

The suspension is good to a point. It keeps the truck very flat during cornering which makes this a genuinely fun truck to drive on the twisties but it is firm. The only way to get the “holy s$&@ I can’t believe I hardly felt that bump” feeling is to really push the limits. I would prefer that feeling be more accessible to the 60% limit of off-roading vs the 80-90% it’s currently at if that makes sense.

Ford Ranger If you're leaning Colorado, consider this. IMG_0349
Ford Ranger If you're leaning Colorado, consider this. IMG_0351

Last edited:

TDPD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4runner - '24 RR on order
I’ve had it for just about a month now. It is almost the perfect truck but there are a few things that are just head scratchers.

First, there are no physical controls for the headlights. There is a quick access menu at the top of the infotainment screen but it requires you to take your eyes off the road. Normally not an issue if you keep your headlights on auto but the engineers at GM saw fit not to include a way to adjust the auto headlight sensor sensitivity. There are several times during dusk or dawn hours that I would like headlights on but the auto setting does not register it is dark enough. Also, there is no way to turn on your fog lights in the quick access menu. To do that you need to go three screens deep into the vehicle icon app on the home screen

Second, no home link or powered rear window. $62K truck and those should be no-brainers

Third, the back seat is on the borderline of too small and just right. The manufacturer that figures out that people want a midsize truck that offers back seat space that is between the massive 8 inches of leg room left after the front seat is pushed all the way back in full size trucks, and the current midsize trucks that have barely enough room for pre-teens and kids will win the midsize truck race.

As far as performance goes, this truck hauls. It routinely breaks traction if I put my foot in it and keep it in 2WD. It is almost always in boost which probably accounts for the low EPA numbers (seriously on cold start ups if put it in drive during its high idle cycle you better hold on).

Air conditioning and the ventilated seats are very good, and the truck is very quiet on the highway. The lane keeping assist in this truck is magic (only use it for long highway trips) .The Ford system is good but it’s notchy and you know it’s there. This one, the truck just seems to stay in the center and you never feel like the system is being intrusive.

The suspension is good to a point. It keeps the truck very flat during cornering which makes this a genuinely fun truck to drive on the twisties but it is firm. The only way to get the “holy s$&@ I can’t believe I hardly felt that bump” feeling is to really push the limits. I would prefer that feeling be more accessible to the 60% limit of off-roading vs the 80-90% it’s currently at if that makes sense.
That’s a solid, well-rounded, first-hand user experience write up.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Snkrjeff020

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist

That's a pretty awesome review.
Honestly it was those little things about the interior that kind of made me hold off on the Colorado.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No homelink on a truck this expensive is not excusable.

If someone breaks your window and you have an independent garage opener, all they need to do is grab that and look in your glovebox to find your address and they now have entry into your home where they can head immediately to do who knows what.

Having a built-in garage door opener mitigates this threat. It's a pretty important safety + security feature that probably costs pennies to add to any vehicle. It's a small part of the puzzle but it's a huge reason I'm not going to consider the GM twins that decided to leave this (and a few other obvious features) off.

Sponsored

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the review! Those little things you mentioned are why I held off but it sounds awesome and I'm jealous that you're driving it right now while I have to wait many more months.

There are a lot of people who complain about them being 4 cylinders but those people have never driven a modern 4 banger engine. They are fast and you don't notice a lack of cylinders at all.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No homelink on a truck this expensive is not excusable.

If someone breaks your window and you have an independent garage opener, all they need to do is grab that and look in your glovebox to find your address and they now have entry into your home where they can head immediately to do who knows what.

Having a built-in garage door opener mitigates this threat. It's a pretty important safety + security feature that probably costs pennies to add to any vehicle. It's a small part of the puzzle but it's a huge reason I'm not going to consider the GM twins that decided to leave this (and a few other obvious features) off.
You can add them aftermarket. Someone in the GM forums said they are using this one and it works well.

homelink mirror

You are right though, at that price you shouldn't have to spend the extra to get it.

BlckHwk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 Duramax
Shoot I might do that although it’ll make the decision that much harder when my Ranger Raptor does finally arrive.

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Ive started reaching out to some Chevy dealerships about a sand dune metallic ZR2 to my specs. I'm sort of split on my order for the RR at this point.

BlckHwk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 Duramax
Ive started reaching out to some Chevy dealerships about a sand dune metallic ZR2 to my specs. I'm sort of split on my order for the RR at this point.
about the only reason I’m still considering taking deliver of my Raptor is the TT 3.0 and the new rear suspension. Pretty much everywhere else that matters to me, the Canyon/Colorado has it beat. If I could smash the two trucks together I would because somethings that are missing on the GM are on the Raptor and vice versa.

my biggest hang-up with the Raptor is no physical diff-lock toggle (if the screens go out you’re not locking anything up), no rear vents, and no factory rock sliders.
Sponsored

Last edited: