• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Is the official 405 posted horsepower on 87 octane?

jprime84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Its covenient that the truck can take 87 octane, but do we know if the quoted power figures are made with that fuel? Would the truck perform better on higher octane just by the ECU compensating, or would it actually need a tune to alter performance figures meaningfully?
Sponsored

GManGeno

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Its covenient that the truck can take 87 octane, but do we know if the quoted power figures are made with that fuel? Would the truck perform better on higher octane just by the ECU compensating, or would it actually need a tune to alter performance figures meaningfully?
Interesting question, since I saw a video that showed 'min 87 octane' posted on the fuel door. But, we all know that the truck will perform better with higher octane, and if it is anything like MPGs, I would say that Ford will put their best foot forward, meaning the numbers are based on higher octane (best case scenario)

That is of course just my conjecture. Interested to see if anyone has the actual data.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
The Ranger Raptor is a premium unleaded fuel only vehicle, just like the Bronco Raptor.

RacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
looks like figures are from 91 octane

hmm, I read the 3.0 was DI only like the 2.3, but this chart says different.

Ford Ranger Is the official 405 posted horsepower on 87 octane? 1712611906895-k4

Sponsored

RacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
The Ranger Raptor is a premium unleaded fuel only vehicle, just like the Bronco Raptor.
People are probably referring to videos where 87 octane is written on the fuel door.
I didn't really look into this as I will run 93 for best performance, but I just checked the owners manual and it mentions 87 as min octane with no caveat or call-out for Raptor (or 3.0) requiring a higher min octane.
There are plenty of other sections in the manual where Raptor or 3.0 are listed with different specs.
Kinda cool.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
I was also taking for granted that it was listed the same as the Bronco Raptor, which is (or was if they revised the manual) listed as Premium fuel only.
🤷‍♂️

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
What's the compression ratio on 3.0L RR engine?

Sponsored
OP
OP

jprime84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
It actually will run on 87 as designated on the fuel door, the higher the octane the better obviously.
Exactly, but I guess that's the root of my question. Will the ECU just work out the adjustments on the fly based on the fuel you have in there?

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
Exactly, but I guess that's the root of my question. Will the ECU just work out the adjustments on the fly based on the fuel you have in there?
As I understand it learns and adjusts after a tankful.

mperezkr

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
"From the factory, Ford typically designs the base calibration to allow use of 87+ octane fuel and recommends using 91+ octane fuel for optimal power. They can do this by means of a dynamic multiplier that allows for adjustment of each of these targeting and limiting strategies which we call the “OAR” (Octane Adjust Ratio). The OAR starts life at a value of 0.0 and is allowed to learn in two directions. When fuel quality and knock sensor feedback are optimal, the OAR will adjust towards -1.0. When these are sub-optimal, the OAR will adjust towards +1.0. I bet you’re wondering why -1.0 is better?
Well for one, since this value is a multiplier and not an offset the ECU code can be optimized to use a single table comprised of negative values to handle the spectrum of operating conditions. Take ignition timing corrections for example; with an OAR at -1.0, multiplying against a negative becomes positive which is then added as positive correction to ignition timing. However, when conditions are sub-par a +1.0 OAR will result in negative correction to ignition timing."

Ford Ecoboost and the Octane Adjust Ratio Monitor - COBB Tuning

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor and 24 Bronco Sport OBX
No. The hp and torque quoted is always achieved with premium fuel. It will state this in the owners manual too.

Sportshot2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F 150 FX4 (totaled) 2021 Acura RDX, 2021 KIA
Occupation
Retired
Holy Crap, I thought when I read the technical description that Moses posted that maybe my long passed older brother had been reincarnated. With a name like Moses and an engineers description of what happens maybe reincarnation is real. After all that information I would say you mean “Just run 91 or better octane?” There was never a short answer with Tom. Thank you for the pleasant memory!
Sponsored