• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

J-Braces

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Ford Ranger J-Braces IMG_6540
The J-Braces to stiffen the front corners of the box are some pretty substantial pieces of iron, am guessing they weigh 3 to 4 lbs each. After reading the instructions it looks like this is not going to be an easy project. Installing the J-Braces themselves shouldn't be hard but removing the wheel well liners and reinstalling looks to be the hardest part as it requires a rivetnut tool and drilling out rivets. Am going to do it but not looking forward to it. The Lariat has not arrived yet, it's on the rail somewhere.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
I need to order some. Please let us know how the install goes.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
IMG_6540.jpeg
The J-Braces to stiffen the front corners of the box are some pretty substantial pieces of iron, am guessing they weigh 3 to 4 lbs each. After reading the instructions it looks like this is not going to be an easy project. Installing the J-Braces themselves shouldn't be hard but removing the wheel well liners and reinstalling looks to be the hardest part as it requires a rivetnut tool and drilling out rivets. Am going to do it but not looking forward to it. The Lariat has not arrived yet, it's on the rail somewhere.
How much does the dealer charge for install?

Cyrusblack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat Oxford White \ Sandstone
Occupation
Nuclear Weapons Technician

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford 2dr Bronco / 2021 RAM TRX
How much does the dealer charge for install?
On the ford Accessory website, I believe there is a box you can check to have the dealer labor included with your purchase. I believe if memory serves it said extra $192.00 for the labor option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoneStarCaviar

First Name
Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby Baja700 Raptor, 2018 Shelby Raptor
Occupation
Self Employed
That sounds 100% worth not having to do it myself.
Only if you trust the techs at your dealership. I will personally be doing any install on my own truck myself. Granted I do own my own personal shops with lifts and probably have more tools that they have at my local Ford dealer. Still $200 seems inexpensive if they have to drill out rivets. Looking forward to seeing it done first on someone else’s truck lol.

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand why this part isn't included from the get go.
Been wondering the same thing.
After all it is a truck , it has a truck bed and most likely will need to do truck stuff With said truck bed.
Totally 100% agree it’s total BS that I am going to need to spend an extra $400 bucks to reinforce the truck bed so I can use my crossover style toolbox and headache rack on my new truck.

I can say I did not have to that on either of my last chevy Colorado’s .
Ford Ranger J-Braces img_3552-

Ford Ranger J-Braces img_4026-

Last edited:

Sponsored

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
I'd like to see a spec sheet from Ford that sates when these are needed. Do I need it for a crossover toolbox? A retractable bedcover?

The install doesn't look terrible. Drilling the rivets out is easy, but I wonder what size rivet tool is needed for the replacements. I'm sure it's bigger than the little one I own, so this install will either require me to pay someone, or purchase a new tool.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
I'll probably weld some up out of angle iron. No way I'm rewarding Ford for their engineering fail by purchasing something from them that they should have included on the truck in the first place.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
I'd like to see a spec sheet from Ford that sates when these are needed. Do I need it for a crossover toolbox? A retractable bedcover?

The install doesn't look terrible. Drilling the rivets out is easy, but I wonder what size rivet tool is needed for the replacements. I'm sure it's bigger than the little one I own, so this install will either require me to pay someone, or purchase a new tool.
The listing for the J-Braces says

"When installing accessories extending above the load box side rail and weighing more than 88lb (40kg) must have load box reinforcement brackets installed"

Which is pretty damn pathetic. I'd be over that with a set of overbed rails and my kayak.

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, 88lbs above the rails.
My rack and my toolbox empty pretty much have that covered.
‘With tools and jacks and such my setup comes in around 300ish pounds.
The rack alone is around 100lbs.

What I don’t know is if since my rack is all welded one piece rack rails with angle iron, would that in itself take care of the structural issue. I would really like to get a better understanding of exactly what these braces are intended to reinforce, what exactly happens without them?

DanTheMan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Occupation
Social Worker
The listing for the J-Braces says

"When installing accessories extending above the load box side rail and weighing more than 88lb (40kg) must have load box reinforcement brackets installed"

Which is pretty damn pathetic. I'd be over that with a set of overbed rails and my kayak.
Sounds like an engineering fail Ford. Brutal. So can I safely sit on the side of my truck bed? That puts me 112lbs over the limit.
Sponsored