• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Next Gen Ranger Wildtrak -RA
Occupation
Retired Automotive Cad Monkey
Below are the details of the current build level for my 6G MY22 Ranger Wildtrak for those interested.
Vehicle is being setup as a primary touring off road tow vehicle, for our new 3500kg off-road caravan which is currently being built. More changes will be made once I have final weights of full setup of vehicle & caravan setup(max GCM 6400kg) (see below for possible items still to fit)

MODEL YEAR - 22 (August Build)
MAKE - Ford
MODEL & TRIM - Wildtrak
COLOR :-Silver
ENGINE -V6 Diesel
CAB -Dual Cab
DRIVETRAIN (4x4 / 4x2)4x4MODS - Stock
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS -ARB Old Man EMU BP51 remote res shocks with 300kg constant rear leaf springs
30mm lift from factory ride height
WHEELS - CSA 18x8 +35 offset (standard factory +55 offset)
Tires - BF Goodrich K02 LT265/70R18 (same diameter as Raptor 285/70R17) (scope to increase to LT285/70R18)
Spare Tire size limit 828mm
Wheel Nuts replaced with Solid version ( still using shitty sheetmetal covered nuts)
EXTERIOR -
Safari Snorkel
ARB Summit MK2 Bullbar
Rhino Vortex roof racks
Rhino Sunseeker 2.5m Awning
Rhino Shovel holders
Razed Maxtrax holder (up to 4 Maxtrax's )
INTERIOR -
AUX Switch panel in sunglass holder location with full AUX fuse box in engine bay
ARB Front & Rear Floor Mates
ELECTRONICS -
UHF - GME XRS
Twin Rear mounted Anderson plus - 50amp (tow bar mounted)

Future possible options to be added.
Carbon Winch
Steddi Driving lights
Long Range fuel tank (140L)
Safety Dave - Caravan Reversing Camera
ARB Daul Compressor
ARB Jack (HI Lift Hydraulic) - tub mounted
Clear view towing mirrors
Extra 12v Sockets inside vehicle

Vehicle issues so far.
Cracked turbo drain pipe - replaced by Ford
Software updates for the following
-Steering
-Transmission recalibration due to towing temp issue
-Transmission update to correct issue with jumping out of AWD to 4L at slow speeds
-Number of other software upgrades to correct other things ( the new world of modern vehicles)

Also have a special setup for hoisting my disabled daughter into the back seat, which I can post picture for those interested. Hoist also used with our current off-road camper trailer to lift daughter & wheel chair into camper trailer.

Ford Ranger Next Gen Ranger MY22 Wildtrak - Australian build next gen
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Give a report back on the BP 51's. I have researched the suspensions and would go with the EMU'S. I would add Uniball Upper Control Arms to your list, when they make them for the new Ranger.
Nice Build.

Last edited:

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their car's in the easiest way possible.
Below are the details of the current build level for my 6G MY22 Ranger Wildtrak for those interested.
Vehicle is being setup as a primary touring off road tow vehicle, for our new 3500kg off-road caravan which is currently being built. More changes will be made once I have final weights of full setup of vehicle & caravan setup(max GCM 6400kg) (see below for possible items still to fit)

MODEL YEAR - 22 (August Build)
MAKE - Ford
MODEL & TRIM - Wildtrak
COLOR :-Silver
ENGINE -V6 Diesel
CAB -Dual Cab
DRIVETRAIN (4x4 / 4x2)4x4MODS - Stock
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS -ARB Old Man EMU BP51 remote res shocks with 300kg constant rear leaf springs
30mm lift from factory ride height
WHEELS - CSA 18x8 +35 offset (standard factory +55 offset)
Tires - BF Goodrich K02 LT265/70R18 (same diameter as Raptor 285/70R17) (scope to increase to LT285/70R18)
Spare Tire size limit 828mm
Wheel Nuts replaced with Solid version ( still using shitty sheetmetal covered nuts)
EXTERIOR -
Safari Snorkel
ARB Summit MK2 Bullbar
Rhino Vortex roof racks
Rhino Sunseeker 2.5m Awning
Rhino Shovel holders
Razed Maxtrax holder (up to 4 Maxtrax's )
INTERIOR -
AUX Switch panel in sunglass holder location with full AUX fuse box in engine bay
ARB Front & Rear Floor Mates
ELECTRONICS -
UHF - GME XRS
Twin Rear mounted Anderson plus - 50amp (tow bar mounted)

Future possible options to be added.
Carbon Winch
Steddi Driving lights
Long Range fuel tank (140L)
Safety Dave - Caravan Reversing Camera
ARB Daul Compressor
ARB Jack (HI Lift Hydraulic) - tub mounted
Clear view towing mirrors
Extra 12v Sockets inside vehicle

Vehicle issues so far.
Cracked turbo drain pipe - replaced by Ford
Software updates for the following
-Steering
-Transmission recalibration due to towing temp issue
-Transmission update to correct issue with jumping out of AWD to 4L at slow speeds
-Number of other software upgrades to correct other things ( the new world of modern vehicles)

Also have a special setup for hoisting my disabled daughter into the back seat, which I can post picture for those interested. Hoist also used with our current off-road camper trailer to lift daughter & wheel chair into camper trailer.

next gen.jpg
This is the exact vehicle you need when things fall apart and you need to switch to survival mode. It looks prepared for anything. We'd be very interested in seeing the hoist set up! Sounds like everyone in the family can enjoy your ride!

OP
OP
3231haven

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Give a report back on the BP 51's. I have researched the suspensions and would go with the EMU'S. I would add Uniball Upper Control Arms to your list, when they make them for the new Ranger.
Nice Build.
I'm running them on a pretty stiff setting currently, given most of my day to day usage is on road. But would say handing wise its a step above the factory given its lifted in total around 50mm (2") with 300kg rated springs in the back with no load in pickup box. Pretty certain that once I soften them off for off-road they will be on par with the 2" Fox setup that is on the 5G Ranger Raptor. The good thing is that ARB were inside Ford having changes made so everything fits without any cutting/drilling required. See how tire wear goes before deciding on UCA change.

OP
OP
3231haven

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is the exact vehicle you need when things fall apart and you need to switch to survival mode. It looks prepared for anything. We'd be very interested in seeing the hoist set up! Sounds like everyone in the family can enjoy your ride!
Its setup to have a little more running clearance then the 6G Ranger Raptor, I have had 3 of the 5G Ranger Raptor's so know what I need to have to do a lot of the remote Australian outback tracks in area's where you need to be self reliant and also carry Sat phones. Have attached a couple of images of the hoist
Ford Ranger Next Gen Ranger MY22 Wildtrak - Australian build 70513E6B-E569-4989-813A-BBE98E546AD2.JPG
Ford Ranger Next Gen Ranger MY22 Wildtrak - Australian build IMG_3130 3.PNG

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I am interested in the BP 51's because they are designed for slower speed driving. Like Crawling. Where the Fox and Icon are directed for high speed running. Like in the desert. I would be using them in BC's Canada's forests and Forest Service roads.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
Its setup to have a little more running clearance then the 6G Ranger Raptor, I have had 3 of the 5G Ranger Raptor's so know what I need to have to do a lot of the remote Australian outback tracks in area's where you need to be self reliant and also carry Sat phones. Have attached a couple of images of the hoist
70513E6B-E569-4989-813A-BBE98E546AD2.JPG
IMG_3130 3.PNG
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like the outback is no match for you and your ranger (and your beautiful family!)

OP
OP
3231haven

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am interested in the BP 51's because they are designed for slower speed driving. Like Crawling. Where the Fox and Icon are directed for high speed running. Like in the desert. I would be using them in BC's Canada's forests and Forest Service roads.
The BP-51 are very similar to the 2" Fox shocks used on the 5G Ranger Raptor, twin tube with the fluid passing through to outer tube during operation, with the remote res being used for fluid cooling. The BP-51's are more of a touring/overlanding shock absorber, but having said that a lot of people here in Australia do use them for slow speed off-road. The BP-51 can be adjusted by the owner to be soft ride for dirt roads like corrugation etc. or tuned to be firmer for slow speed tracks.
You only really need a remote res on a crawling vehicle when you are tuning your vehicle to have maximum shock absorber travel to get maximum wheel travel out of a defined package space, and therefore you need somewhere for the fluid to go during operation, your not really cooling the fluid just storing it temporary. Hence there lies the problem with any front suspension like what is used on the Ranger. The Ranger/Bronco/Everest front suspension's all have steering lock features on the knuckle/LCA which reduces the steering lock angle as you go into jounce or rebound, protecting all joints and maximising wheel travel, switching out the standard shock to others brands which have increase travel will only result in the suspension over traveling beyond these limits. This intern puts the suspension in possible location where the steering rack will default back to the kerb rack travel possibly causing damage to half shaft/steering tierods/ball joints etc.. It is the same feature used on the F150 front suspension.
If your chasing wheel travel than the 6G Raptor has a lot more then the standard 6G Ranger.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
doesn't matter how prepared you vehicle is, things still happen 👍
This is a concern for me as I get older. Getting stuck and having to deal with the stress. The vehicle may be out fitted to deal with the situations but are you capable of dealing with it. You want to go as a group for rougher terrain.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
A question. When you create longer travel such as the UCA's is it creating more stress on the OEM suspension parts. Taking them past there original intended travel. Is OEM suspension robust enough for off road use. On the Bronco the tie rod ends are under size for off road use. What would you carry for suspension parts if something broke or bent. Do you think the suspension is a better design then the 5G Ranger.

OP
OP
3231haven

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is a concern for me as I get older. Getting stuck and having to deal with the stress. The vehicle may be out fitted to deal with the situations but are you capable of dealing with it. You want to go as a group for rougher terrain.
Always travel in remote area's with at least one other vehicle, its just not wise to it any other way.

OP
OP
3231haven

3231haven

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A question. When you create longer travel such as the UCA's is it creating more stress on the OEM suspension parts. Taking them past there original intended travel. Is OEM suspension robust enough for off road use. On the Bronco the tie rod ends are under size for off road use. What would you carry for suspension parts if something broke or bent. Do you think the suspension is a better design then the 5G Ranger.
Sorry for the long answer.
Generally when you change out the UCA its to recover your Camber/Caster/Srub Radius etc. due to increasing the ride height of the suspension (droop). I wouldn't change the UCA unless I was doing this, as it makes no real sense on a standard OEM suspension like a Ranger has on the front. The Ranger has a Long SLA front suspension, so the loads in the UCA are small, so changing out the UCA for a little bit longer version to correct suspension geometry will not have a large impact on suspension loads. These days most OEM with pickup trucks the size of the Ranger are pushing all the joint angles to well within the recommended max limits of the supplier components. I would say the Ranger has a littler up it sleeve in regards to extra travel but not a lot and it will be limited by the steering lock profile on the knuckle. The standard Ranger suspension is well and truly robust for off-road action, I changed suspension ride height & tires to increase approach/departure angles, rampager and also running clearance, extra wheel travel would be great but its all to do with how you tackle a track which is more important, Overlanding is more about coming out the other side in one piece, and all driveline/powertain I keep stock as these have all been well an truely been tested by the OEM's .
Bronco tie rods, never seen a broken tie rod on a Ranger or heard of one and basically they are the same, bronco's track width is around 30mm wider than a 6G Ranger, so the steering arm is a little longe on a Broncor, but the Ranger Raptor uses basically the same setup and it has an even longer steering/tie rod arm setup. I Think the Bronco issue is a lot to do with what people are doing with there vehicle and the after market modifications that they have done, but I have only seen what is on some pages, reducing wheel offsets(increase scrub radius), increasing tire sizes will well and truely increase the loads the whole steering system see's with the weak spot being the end of the thread on the steering arm. Slow speed crawling moves is when the suspension will see a large steering load and most are being broken doing slow speed moves. As I said if you push the suspension in full lock past the steering stops on the LCA/Knuckle the steering rack travel is then the stop and in pretty much most cases it will be the wheel rim inner that hits the tie rod first and creates the failure, its not rocket science. Most Jeep owners who do slow speed rock crawling etc, beaf up all these sorts of component's, so not sure why people think the bronco will be any different. I have seen 5G Ranger Raptors here in Australia, with 35" tires push through conditions, that a Toyota 79 Series its stuck in. Good drivers can pretty much get through most things, but a bad driver can make something look a lot harder then it maybe and at the same time damage the vehicle.
What spares do I take, it depends on the trip, somewhere a bit remote.... one half shaft, extra boots, basic stuff like hoses, bolts/nuts etc. the odd bit of 5mm steel plate, will carry a set of turbo oil feed/drain pipes now, tire puncher repair, electric drill & bits, a set of tools which cover the general hardware sizes, may carry a second spare on some remote outback trips, lots of tape, fuses and a small electric kit and a good hammer...🙂 The keys not to double up to much with who you are traveling with.
Is the 5G suspension setup better than the 6G, yes! the front is a little wider and has a better shock absorber ratio, but other than that is similar to the 5G fron but all newt, just small improvements in wheel travel I believe. The rear is wider like the front and now has the shocks outboard of the leaf springs, so improved shock ratio and also improves handling a lot over the 5G, has less step out on corrugated dirt road and just improves general handling in cornering way more then the 5G. Leaf springs are what they are and are basically designed for load carrying. The 6G Ranger Raptor suspension is in another league compared to the standard Ranger Suspension, and it had the multi link beam axle setup before the F150 Raptor.
Sorry for the long novel, hope that answers everything.👍

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
doesn't matter how prepared you vehicle is, things still happen 👍
Yup. You're totally right. All we can do is try to be ready and lessen the odds. Safe driving friends!
Sponsored