Sponsored

OEM exhaust tips painted black?

morahn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
62
Location
Wi
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger Raptor
so you dropped them down and then painted them?
Yes, I undid the end brackets (hope that makes sense) and placed a 2x4 or 2x6 piece of scrap wood (do not recall the length (4" or 6" max, it is whatever fit)) between the frame (or whatever was solid) as far up to the front of the vehicle to lower the exhaust for painting.

Do not force the exhaust to lower (not sure how to describe this but when the pipes are not attached at the end, there is some downward flex). I think I lowered the tips 6" maybe.

Also, I do not recall if there was another bracket that I undid further up the pipe, but I do not think so (take a look and if it looks easy to undo, go for it).

This is an underside photo with the wood block in the upper left hand side of the photo (Drivers side and I cannot tell exactly where the wood block was placed, kind of a useless photo):

Ford Ranger OEM exhaust tips painted black? 20250903_071045


I started at the tip of the exhaust and worked my way forward with the wood block, maneuvering around obstacles without forcing the exhaust pipe down too much, even switching wood blocks to get the best lowering of as much pipe as I could. Again, I painted a lot of the pipe that will never be seen
Sponsored

 

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,035
Reaction score
3,905
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
I painted mine with normal matte black Walmart special paint. Its at the end of the exhaust system and never gets hot enough to need heat resistant paint. Its been in a good while, I just can't think when I did it (it's that long).

But I have the 2.3 godzilla so maybe that's why it lasts
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
591
Reaction score
535
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Before I installed them. Painted the outside and ends in Plastidip as I wanted a Matt black finish.
If you were so inclined for some reason, how hard would it be to remove them?
 

celtic

Active Member
First Name
glenn
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
25
Reaction score
50
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
retired
If you were so inclined for some reason, how hard would it be to remove them?
Take a razor blade or box cutter knife and cut lengthways, it just peels off.
 

STEVE_K

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
238
Reaction score
302
Location
Snohomish, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor, 2003 Jeep Wranger SE TJ, 2001 Subaru Forester
Those silicone covers are a pretty cool option.
 

Sponsored

celtic

Active Member
First Name
glenn
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
25
Reaction score
50
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
retired
Yeah, I think I'm going to order them after vacation.
Just make sure you fully coat the exhaust and inside of the tube with liquid detergent before installing otherwise it will stick halfway on.
 
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
591
Reaction score
535
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Just make sure you fully coat the exhaust and inside of the tube with liquid detergent before installing otherwise it will stick halfway on.
Duly noted.
 

celtic

Active Member
First Name
glenn
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
25
Reaction score
50
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
retired
What about spray silicone?
Should work but I can only confirm that liquid detergent works as I did it and that it stays fixed after installation. That maybe a problem with silicone, too slippery?
 

Sponsored
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
591
Reaction score
535
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Should work but I can only confirm that liquid detergent works as I did it and that it stays fixed after installation. That maybe a problem with silicone, too slippery?
I appreciate your advice.
 
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
591
Reaction score
535
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Fianlly got around to installing the silicone black sleeves over the ehaust tips. Using all given advice it went so so. I first wiped down the OEM tips with steel wool to clean them up. Then I put a crap load of Dawn in a about a gallon or so of hot tap water in rectangular plastic pan with the sleeves. I wiped down the tailpipe with the soapy solution then jammed on the silicone sleeves. The first one went on fairly easily. The second one not so much. I don't what the difference was, but I had to use all my might to the second all the way on. I even stopped half way, took it off, rewiped the tailpipe and let the sleeve saok in the hot water a minute, then tried again. I soon realized I was the point of no returned and just braced myself and shoved with all my might. Little by little I got it to match the first one.
Pics to come. Might hit the very end with black spray paint.
 

celtic

Active Member
First Name
glenn
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
25
Reaction score
50
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
retired
Fianlly got around to installing the silicone black sleeves over the ehaust tips. Using all given advice it went so so. I first wiped down the OEM tips with steel wool to clean them up. Then I put a crap load of Dawn in a about a gallon or so of hot tap water in rectangular plastic pan with the sleeves. I wiped down the tailpipe with the soapy solution then jammed on the silicone sleeves. The first one went on fairly easily. The second one not so much. I don't what the difference was, but I had to use all my might to the second all the way on. I even stopped half way, took it off, rewiped the tailpipe and let the sleeve saok in the hot water a minute, then tried again. I soon realized I was the point of no returned and just braced myself and shoved with all my might. Little by little I got it to match the first one.
Pics to come. Might hit the very end with black spray paint.
You need a tight fit. The easiest way once you've got it started is to place o piece of 2x4 wood on the end and tap it with a hammer to desired length. No sweat!
Fianlly got around to installing the silicone black sleeves over the ehaust tips. Using all given advice it went so so. I first wiped down the OEM tips with steel wool to clean them up. Then I put a crap load of Dawn in a about a gallon or so of hot tap water in rectangular plastic pan with the sleeves. I wiped down the tailpipe with the soapy solution then jammed on the silicone sleeves. The first one went on fairly easily. The second one not so much. I don't what the difference was, but I had to use all my might to the second all the way on. I even stopped half way, took it off, rewiped the tailpipe and let the sleeve saok in the hot water a minute, then tried again. I soon realized I was the point of no returned and just braced myself and shoved with all my might. Little by little I got it to match the first one.
Pics to come. Might hit the very end with black spray paint.
 
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
26
Messages
591
Reaction score
535
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
You need a tight fit. The easiest way once you've got it started is to place o piece of 2x4 wood on the end and tap it with a hammer to desired length. No sweat!
I should have brought a 2x4 with me, but once I started I didn't want to take the time and go back and get one. I figured getting them hot would help. Didn't want to let them cool.
BTW, is it all in my head or did they tone down the exhaust note some?
Sponsored

 
 







Top