• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Oh my gosh, Billy! You just told us that the engine in the Ranger hybrid is not the 2.3 Ecoboost! That means all of the leaks to the automotive press has been one giant misdirection! Reminds me of Ford having everyone convinced that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor. This is killing me!

Okay, since we know its not the 2.3 Ecoboost, I see a few possible alternatives which makes the guessing a challenge since Ford has so many arrows in their quiver. Here are some possibilities:

1. The 2.5 Atkinson cycle engine that is in the Escape/Maverick.

No way. This would be a dud/dog in a Ranger.

2. The 3.3 base engine (naturally aspirated) in the F-150

This is a possibility, but it would not be that exciting and it would likely not compete well with what Toyota has coming for the hybrid Tacoma.

3. The 3.0 Ecoboost in the Aviator PHEV as suggested by (@TheQuixotic1).

OMG, that would be exciting but that would result in a Ranger PHEV blowing away the Ranger Raptor when it comes to HP and torque. Not sure Ford would do that.

4. The 2.7 Ecoboost that is an optional engine in the Bronco.

This makes the most sense to me. It would be an amazing performer when combined with a hybrid system, it would likely outperform the Tacoma hybrid and it does not overshadow the Ranger Raptor. In addition, the MAP assembly line already installs these in Broncos. I'm betting that this is it.

5. The all new 2.3 Ecoboost going into the new Mustang

Almost forgot about this possibility. This all new 2.3 has dual injection and improved specs. This also would be a good bet for the Ranger hybrid.
I added #5 as it slipped my mind. It could be a good bet also.
Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
that's my recollection from MTC too. Everyone was looking at Bronco Sport (built on same line in same factory) and to a lesser extent Escape for drivetrain possibilities. The base motor in the BS is the dreaded Dragon 3cyl 1.5L and (I believe) same for Escape. Then you could option up to 2.0L on the BS and (I think?) Escape + then option that 1 further to the hybrid.

I was in a similar situation then with Maverick as I am now with Ranger. NO WAY was I buying a truck with 1.5L 3cyl and only FWD. It HAD TO have option for the 2.0 ECO boost + AWD or I was out on that vehicle. Now, I'm where I HAVE TO have the SCab + 6' bed or Ranger is off my list too and I keep the Maverick.

IMO, Ford DID surprise all of us with the Reservation system before you could actually order a couple weeks later. I'm pretty much expecting that for Ranger tomorrow as well.
Hey now. I have the 1.5L 3-cyl (AWD variant) in the Escape, and it's been doing great. Almost 76k miles two year, averaging 28 city and 32 hwy from my hand calculations. Outside of the turbo sometimes being either too shy or too enthusiastic, it's actually a great engine. The real test will be in 25k miles when the big 1-0-0 hits.

Spec wise, the dragon is similar power output wise as the 2.5L hybrid just with less fuel economy. It would have been a fine base engine for the Maverick, but I totally understand why Ford went with the hybrid (once again, same power but better fuel economy). Following that logic, I would assume Ford would make a hybrid Ranger mated to a 4-cyl engine with power that meets or exceeds what a V6 would do. Now I know the current hybrid that's between the Escape/Maverick and the F-150 is the 3.3L V6 in the Explorer, but that powertrain seems like it is a bit underwhelming efficiency wise. I'm betting on a 2.7L I-4 hybrid.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I sure hope there is a configurator live tomorrow!!! I want to build one (or 5) and see what cab/bed configurations, trim packages and prices for my build(s). Fingers crossed for a SuperCrew/longbed with Tremor package and a hybrid drivetrain!!!

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Oh my gosh, Billy! You just told us that the engine in the Ranger hybrid is not the 2.3 Ecoboost! That means all of the leaks to the automotive press has been one giant misdirection! Reminds me of Ford having everyone convinced that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor. This is killing me!

Okay, since we know its not the 2.3 Ecoboost, I see a few possible alternatives which makes the guessing a challenge since Ford has so many arrows in their quiver. Here are some possibilities:
Yeah sorry, this is a ROW prototype. You North Americans keep doing your own things with our platform, so who knows.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Hey now. I have the 1.5L 3-cyl (AWD variant) in the Escape, and it's been doing great. Almost 76k miles two year, averaging 28 city and 32 hwy from my hand calculations. Outside of the turbo sometimes being either too shy or too enthusiastic, it's actually a great engine. The real test will be in 25k miles when the big 1-0-0 hits.

Spec wise, the dragon is similar power output wise as the 2.5L hybrid just with less fuel economy. It would have been a fine base engine for the Maverick, but I totally understand why Ford went with the hybrid (once again, same power but better fuel economy). Following that logic, I would assume Ford would make a hybrid Ranger mated to a 4-cyl engine with power that meets or exceeds what a V6 would do. Now I know the current hybrid that's between the Escape/Maverick and the F-150 is the 3.3L V6 in the Explorer, but that powertrain seems like it is a bit underwhelming efficiency wise. I'm betting on a 2.7L I-4 hybrid.
Glad it's worked out for you. Just not something I could live with. Needed at least the 2.0L with AWD (gives added bonus of IRS) and the 4k tow package with upgraded cooling, etc. for my towing purposes and counteract the torque steer of FWD only. Been driving and wrenching for many decades and I don't see how a 3cyl can be properly balanced to minimize vibrations + then they added cylinder de-activation too? I worked at a Cadillac dealership in 1976 when GM introduced cylinder de-activation and it was a mess. All the compact tractors now feature 3 cyl engines and routinely are described as rough, crude, and underpowered. No thanks, I'll stick with old school proven designs, but you do you :like:

Sponsored

WRBWRX

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrbwrx
Six pages of bla bla bla, sorry just don’t care about all that. Will it be close to bronco offerings? As in 2.3 or 2.7, can I get front and rear lockers with A4 and not have to get a raptor at what will probably be 10 to 15k more. Does the raptor have a different rear suspension (coils like bronco)? Does the raptor have a flared bed that is different? Are all the body panels different?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah sorry, this is a ROW prototype. You North Americans keep doing your own things with our platform, so who knows.
Hmmm, I can't think of any Ford model that has two different hybrid implementations based on geographic location. I would be really surprised if the Ranger hybrid implementation for ROW was different than North America. More hints, please? :fingerscrossed:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Six pages of bla bla bla, sorry just don’t care about all that. Will it be close to bronco offerings? As in 2.3 or 2.7, can I get front and rear lockers with A4 and not have to get a raptor at what will probably be 10 to 15k more. Does the raptor have a different rear suspension (coils like bronco)? Does the raptor have a flared bed that is different? Are all the body panels different?
Patience, grass hopper.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmmm, I can't think of any Ford model that has two different hybrid implementations based on geographic location. I would be really surprised if the Ranger hybrid implementation for ROW was different than North America. More hints, please? :fingerscrossed:
Well, think about what engines the ROW gets in the Ranger, vs the engines the US is likely to get. And what fuel these engines burn.
From what I understand, this particular setup in question is more along the lines of the F-150 than the Maverick.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Raptor is going to be basically identical to what we get in Australia as the Raptor; i.e. 3.0 Ecoboost, Fox live valve shocks with coils in all corners, different body panels at the front and rear, interior treatments etc.
As for the standard vehicles, who knows.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, think about what engines the ROW gets in the Ranger, vs the engines the US is likely to get. And what fuel these engines burn.
From what I understand, this particular setup in question is more along the lines of the F-150 than the Maverick.
Yes, I’ve been confident that the Ranger hybrid setup would be similar to the F-150 hybrid where the electric motor is incorporated inside the 10 speed automatic. The Maverick/Escape hybrid design is not suitable for the towing/hauling requirements of the Ranger.

Gasoline engines are the overwhelming predominant engine used in hybrids because of the higher expense and smaller efficiency gain that results from a diesel hybrid implementation. So, I am guessing that your original comment was suggesting that ROW customers might be surprised that the Ranger hybrid implementation will be a gasoline engine as opposed to diesel. Am I on the right track?

So the question is, which gasoline engine? I’m putting my money on the 2.3 Ecoboost with an outside possibility of the 2.7 Ecoboost.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gasoline engines are the overwhelming predominant engine used in hybrids because of the higher expense and smaller efficiency gain that results from a diesel hybrid implementation. So, I am guessing that your original comment was suggesting that ROW customers might be surprised that the Ranger hybrid implementation will be a gasoline engine as opposed to diesel. Am I on the right track?
Considering this setup really isn't one that starts and stops the engine all the time while driving, the benefits of being a petrol aren't as obvious. The diesels have start/stop FYI. More hints, and my original comment was that everyone would expect a hybrid to be a petrol, and reality may be surprising.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering this setup really isn't one that starts and stops the engine all the time while driving, the benefits of being a petrol aren't as obvious. The diesels have start/stop FYI. More hints, and my original comment was that everyone would expect a hybrid to be a petrol, and reality may be surprising.
Wow, a ROW Ranger hybrid with a diesel engine would be surprising! I’m not aware of Ford ever producing a diesel hybrid before. This would be the first for Ford?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
1 hour to go!

Hot Runr Guy

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Escape, 2019 Edge
I like it! 2.7 available on XLT, as well as power rear slider and bed step.

HRG
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.