• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
.... If there were no need for improvement, Ford Performance would not have a need to be developing an Air-Oil Separator System similar to the one that they have for the ecoboost Mustang. .....
Is that actually something that is in the works, being developed by Ford, for a 2019 Ranger?
Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
"I have been communicating with Kyle Sargent at Ford Performance, and he has told me that they are indeed working on an Air/Oil Separator System for the Ranger. I am thinking that it will be very similar to the existing system available for the Mustang with the 2.3L Ecoboost engine. The Mustang system consists of both Right Hand Side and Left Hand Side units. They are a bit pricey, but they have the aforementioned Ford R&D incorporated."

"Yes, I have had several e-mail communications with Kyle Sargent of Ford Performance, that YES they were working on one. He has a post-it note at his computer reminding him to e-mail me when it is ready. I will be sure to post that information as soon as I receive it."

As I replied on Page 12 of this thread, YES - Ford Performance is indeed working on a system specific to the New Ranger.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
And as I said before, the Ford one will be offroad only and and probably not covered under warranty.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
And as I said before, the Ford one will be offroad only and and probably not covered under warranty.
Like brake pads... track pads don't work on the street and street pads really don't work on the track!

Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Like brake pads... track pads don't work on the street and street pads really don't work on the track!
This for all the people saying I'm waiting for Ford to make one because, I don't believe it works unless Ford makes one and I don't want an aftermarket one because of the warranty. Not because it won't work for street applications. Not even close comparison to brake pads.

mk842766

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 2019 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Similar to any of the catch cans available...are ANY of the catch cans under warranty? If so, I'm REALLY interested in that particular can....

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Similar to any of the catch cans available...are ANY of the catch cans under warranty? If so, I'm REALLY interested in that particular can....
No.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
This for all the people saying I'm waiting for Ford to make one because, I don't believe it works unless Ford makes one and I don't want an aftermarket one because of the warranty. Not because it won't work for street applications. Not even close comparison to brake pads.
The comparison does of course have merit, since Ford is ostensibly developing a catchcan for competition (track) use only.

In order to determine the viability of an additional catchcan added to the PCV, shouldn't we discuss the stock system and its development .
How does it compare to PCV systems offered with earlier EcoBoost systems or other DI Systems in general?
What is the actual impetus for the track catchcan? Is it strictly demand from the aftermarket?
Does the track application address a carbon problem or a fuel management problem under track conditions?

What are they using on the stock street version of the High Performance 2.3L Mustang?
Any problems reported with the 2.3L's predecessor, the 2.0L Ecoboost?

I am not opposed to catchcans, that's not even objectively possible without accurate answers to reasonable questions.

Some of which are...
What is the true magnitude of the problem ? (Carboned intake valves)
What are the contributing factors and what percentage is PCV vent related?
What has been done at the manufacturer's level to mitigate the problem?

Each of us has anecdotal or YouTube evidence of the problem, it even presents well logically,
but I haven't seen any real world examples.

Once a carbon problem has been determined the next step is to accurately determine its cause, and then seek a solution(s).

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
The comparison does of course have merit, since Ford is ostensibly developing a catchcan for competition (track) use only.

In order to determine the viability of an additional catchcan added to the PCV, shouldn't we discuss the stock system and its development .
How does it compare to PCV systems offered with earlier EcoBoost systems or other DI Systems in general?
What is the actual impetus for the track catchcan? Is it strictly demand from the aftermarket?
Does the track application address a carbon problem or a fuel management problem under track conditions?

What are they using on the stock street version of the High Performance 2.3L Mustang?
Any problems reported with the 2.3L's predecessor, the 2.0L Ecoboost?

I am not opposed to catchcans, that's not even objectively possible without accurate answers to reasonable questions.

Some of which are...
What are the contributing factors and what percentage is PCV vent related?
What has been done at the manufacturer's level to mitigate the problem?

Each of us has anecdotal or YouTube evidence of the problem, it even presents well logically,
but I haven't seen any real world examples.

Once a carbon problem has been determined the next step is to accurately determine its cause, and then seek a solution(s).
Hi Floyd,

If Ford in all its testing saw a degrading carboning issue, it would have been addressed. I am of the opinion that a catch can is a solution seeking a problem...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sponsored

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Guys -- I actually posted this question on another forum as well. I have used catch cans in the past very effectively (my son's Ram would generate about a 1/8 of a quart of chocolate milk every 1000 miles).

However, I'm wondering what the following part does differently than a catch can
Separator - Ford (K2GZ-6A785-A)

I'm new to EcoBoost engines and love this one. But am trying to understand how all the systems work together before making any modifications.

If anyone knows, could you please share? Thanks guys -- great forum!

steve973

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT (Sport Package)
However, I'm wondering what the following part does differently than a catch can
Separator - Ford (K2GZ-6A785-A)
If anyone knows, could you please share? Thanks guys -- great forum!
That is the pcv baffle plate that contains the pcv valve inside of it. the pcv valve is a one-way valve that allows pressure in the crank case to exit (and pass through the valve and the plate) and to be returned to the intake manifold. The separator plate has a single baffle inside of it so that this air can hit it and hopefully remove some oil from that air that will be going back through your intake manifold. It is not a very effective design. Radium Engineering has a baffle plate that is much, much better, although the one on our engine has been modified, and it is smaller, so the current offering from Radium won't fit.

steve973

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is not the only problem that can occur when you have vaporized/atomized oil entering your intake along with air. Oil in the air-fuel mixture will make it more susceptible to detonation under compression. It is a major factor when LSPI occurs. My Focus ST died because of a PCV failure, and it was also stuck open and allowing quite a bit of oil to go up through the whole intake path.

steve973

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The factory PCV system on the the 2019 Ranger is pretty impressive. Can anybody describe the differences in PCV systems across DI engines, or between the early Ecoboost engines and the new Ranger?
I'm interested in hearing what made you come to this conclusion. The PCV system is only comprised of a baffle plate and plastic PCV valve. The baffle in the plate is only a single and small baffle. Personally, I am pretty unimpressed with it. It will definitely let oil pass through and into the intake, where it will have negative effects on the octane rating.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is not the only problem that can occur when you have vaporized/atomized oil entering your intake along with air. Oil in the air-fuel mixture will make it more susceptible to detonation under compression. It is a major factor when LSPI occurs. My Focus ST died because of a PCV failure, and it was also stuck open and allowing quite a bit of oil to go up through the whole intake path.
Thanks for the info, but you missed the context of my point...
I was referring only to the magnitude of the problem of carboned intake valves.
Sponsored