• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Pushed Again....

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
This.

For the last 20 years, Ford has tried to predict future market trends while at the same time trying to set them. When they announced they were moving exclusively to trucks and SUVs (except Mustang) in the American market, they were depending on gas prices staying low. Since that didn't work, they are going "mostly" all-in on EVs, just as the market is starting to realize EVs aren't the answer to next-gen automotive energy.

In the meantime, they still want to dabble in the performance/niche market, but their main focus of resources is elsewhere, thus we wait.

This wasn't the case in 2016 when the GT350 became mainstream. I was one of the first to place an order in September of 2016, and the car arrived in February 2016, a reasonable five-month wait that encompassed two major holiday seasons. While Ford certainly had issues with the GT350 rollout (ADMs, inconsistent communication, etc.), scheduling and production wasn't among them.
Were they really betting that gas prices wouldn't fluctuate (it always has fluctuated as markets are dynamic)? Or, were they betting on the Telsa effect for Trucks and they were seeking an early mover advantage?

EV to date haven't offered enough value compared to ICE vehicles and have more perceived risk - range anxiety, cost to fix, catching on fire, etc. Now if they offered EV with 2x the range, made them more affordable, and there were more charging stations in the US, then the play becomes more compelling. The current state of EV's isn't close to offering enough perceived value compared to an ICE equivalent, other than for early adopters, which represent the 1% club. We aren't there yet to see any real critical mass uptake.
Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
On a good note...

I did receive my order confirmation after my deposit today, and I am indeed the proud future owner of a Hot Pepper Red 2024 Ranger Raptor to be delivered sometime in 2023, according to my date math above. :crackup: :like:

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
Now if they offered EV with 2x the range, made them more affordable, and there were more charging stations in the US, then the play becomes more compelling.
And maybe there will be one day. It's got to start somewhere I reckon, but I think the rage to move to EVs is fueled (pardon the pun) more from politics than from necessity. Unless and until battery technology improves to address the issues you mentioned, I think EVs will be a novelty. I still think hydrogen cell technology is the future, but I don't know much.

Reactions: MJE

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
On a good note...

I did receive my order confirmation after my deposit today, and I am indeed the proud future owner of a Hot Pepper Red 2024 Ranger Raptor to be delivered sometime in 2023, according to my date math above. :crackup: :like:
Wow you gonna get it within the next 10 days. :giggle:

nappy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
And maybe there will be one day. It's got to start somewhere I reckon, but I think the rage to move to EVs is fueled (pardon the pun) more from politics than from necessity. Unless and until battery technology improves to address the issues you mentioned, I think EVs will be a novelty. I still think hydrogen cell technology is the future, but I don't know much.
Yes....for several OEM's, they're banking on hydrogen....And Toyota has been open about their plans to produce a 700+ mile range EV, so this certainly changes the game. Many would then look beyond EV's as just a short range option. Simply put and to your point, phase 1 hasn't gone so well, but future phases of EV many be more promising. The net effect is that we will live in a hybrid energy world for the foreseeable future with ICE vehicles declining over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAV

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV to date haven't offered enough value compared to ICE vehicles and have more perceived risk - range anxiety, cost to fix, catching on fire, etc. Now if they offered EV with 2x the range, made them more affordable, and there were more charging stations in the US, then the play becomes more compelling. The current state of EV's isn't close to offering enough perceived value compared to an ICE equivalent, other than for early adopters, which represent the 1% club. We aren't there yet to see any real critical mass uptake.
Exactly this. EVs are essentially made for the rich who don't care about spending money and the not-rich people who don't realize battery tech will double or triple (at minimum) between now and 2030.

For the average family that can only manage 1 vehicle, an EV just isn't a logical choice and it won't be for quite some time.

Reactions: MJE

GypsyDaenger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150
Occupation
Electrician
ford and most other OEMS seemed to just have skipped over hybrids as a viable option for years. lately it seems like they are trying to correct that.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Exactly this. EVs are essentially made for the rich who don't care about spending money and the not-rich people who don't realize battery tech will double or triple (at minimum) between now and 2030.

For the average family that can only manage 1 vehicle, an EV just isn't a logical choice and it won't be for quite some time.

I am by no means rich but I looking at one just to go back and forth to work and groceries. Still have my Ranger for longer trips and winter.

https://avvenire.com/products/spiritus/

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
Ordering! Oh boy! I can't wait to order a PHEV!

On EV's, the tech is moving fast, remember this is relatively new implementation.
This is similar to when the pc's came out & look at how fast it changed, the speed
of graphics card & the price drop of memory & still going. The grid may not
be such a big problem. My friend just bought a Tesla, he plugs it in & it will start charging off peak hrs. Also, most people only fill their tank once a week, the talk
about the grid falling apart is questionable. Anyway, here is new tech for a new
battery, too bad it's Chinese, what is the western R&D doing? For most commuters
doing 50 miles commutes an EV is the way to go. If your only doing 5k a yr, an EV
at the price they are now is very questionable, no cost advantage.

https://technode.com/2023/12/15/her...t-zeekrs-new-ev-battery-and-new-quzhou-plant/

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am by no means rich but I looking at one just to go back and forth to work and groceries. Still have my Ranger for longer trips and winter.

https://avvenire.com/products/spiritus/
Okay I gotta say this is not the type of EV i was referring to. These are cheap and I have been seeing them more often around here. Moreso I was talking about Teslas and similar.

I'd be a bigger fan of EVs if they brought prices significantly down, but most choices aren't very cheap for a typical sedan. They just end up being the price of a "premium" ICE with less capability.

iBrad81

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
After going through all this with ordering my Bronco and waiting almost 2 years, I knew ordering a Ranger Raptor it was going to be a waiting game but this time I’m not stressing because it will show up eventually. Trust me don’t let a car stress you out, I stressed myself out to the point of me and my wife were having problems because of the Bronco delays.
Took over 1.5 year to finally get a VIN and then pushed probably 5-6x and then built finally, and sat “finished” waiting for a car carrier for a month, I was unfortunate to have mine finished on a Friday and it must of got pushed to the back of the parking lot and took forever to get on a truck, the worst was seeing Broncos built after me at other dealers around me getting delivered.

I begged Ford to go let me pick it up, I only live 3 hours from MAP, but of course because of Unions and contracts, no one can pick up a car, even the dealer down the street from MAP has to have their cars delivered by a car carrier.

I escalated with Ford, Jack Cooper car carrier, and my dealer and none of them did squat, I finally found the company that holds the vehicles ( yes Ford pays a 3rd party to park and hold their vehicles) I sent an email to the place and the nice manager was able to mark it “hot” for me.

Then I finally take delivery and there is a nice factory installed dent on the door from the inside out, how in the hell that was overlooked at the factory shows they don’t care! So had to wait a couple weeks to have that fixed.

But at the end of the day I still love getting in my Bronco every day still after a year and 11,500 miles, so hoping the RR gives me the same feeling.

This is the new world we live in with ordering cars and Fords ridiculous algorithms for allocations, if you have a vin that is 90% of the battle complete, once it’s actually built, that’s when the real stress and excitement kicks in, but just don’t stress on it to much, MAP is a $hit show and the strikes didn’t help, now they make more money and the quality and care for the vehicle won’t change.
Sponsored