• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Lightning EV

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
With Ford announcing they will switch from CCS to the NACS (Tesla plug) in 2025 they have me interesting in going with an EV Ranger. Does anyone have any news on the Ranger Lightning?
Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Ford already announced they intend to use this current version T6 platform for the next decade. It is not designed to be a BEV platform. Rumors of maybe, just maybe a PHEV by 2029 out there. Draw your own conclusions.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Ford already announced they intend to use this current version T6 platform for the next decade. It is not designed to be a BEV platform. Rumors of maybe, just maybe a PHEV by 2029 out there. Draw your own conclusions.
True, but they also filed for a Ranger Lightning patent overseas. The TE1 EV platform is set to come out in 2025 as well. It wouldn’t be a stretch for them to build a Ranger off that platform. If they did end up building an EV Ranger they would beat Toyota and GM to the midsize segment by several years. Plus they could undercut Rivian and Tesla by a large margin.

I will probably end up with another ICE vehicle but EV’s do interest me, I just need something that can tow my boat.

JBTN

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Wonder what it would cost Ford to just buy Rivian. Really surprised Tesla has not unless it would not pass regulator muster. I just want a PHEV midsize truck.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV

Sponsored

ssjx7squall

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Wonder what it would cost Ford to just buy Rivian. Really surprised Tesla has not unless it would not pass regulator muster. I just want a PHEV midsize truck.
Rivian is actually worth a lot, I doubt Ford would want to purchase them at this point. Besides, Ford already has the full size halo competitor to the Rivian, if they come out with the midsize EV truck it would allow for some great choices from consumers. Traditional style truck in EV form or the full on buttonless, always on, luxury of the Rivian. Would come down to price differences for me, a Ranger Raptor Lightning would be an instant buy from me.

Ranger PHEV should be available long before 2029. More like sometime in 2025 with reveal maybe next year.
https://fordauthority.com/2022/09/ford-ranger-hybrid-expected-to-join-lineup-in-2025/amp/
I saw that too. Ford has to know the Gladiator 4xe is coming very soon. Plus, they want to capitalize on the $7500 tax incentive.

Well if their reveal is anything like this one global reveal will be next year but American one in 25
Which is good and bad. Bad we have to wait, good they have a year for feedback before we get it.

jezzza

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor RA
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I wouldn't anticipate seeing a hybrid Ranger anytime the near distant future.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
True, but they also filed for a Ranger Lightning patent overseas. The TE1 EV platform is set to come out in 2025 as well. It wouldn’t be a stretch for them to build a Ranger off that platform. If they did end up building an EV Ranger they would beat Toyota and GM to the midsize segment by several years. Plus they could undercut Rivian and Tesla by a large margin.

I will probably end up with another ICE vehicle but EV’s do interest me, I just need something that can tow my boat.
Nobody would buy it in USA. Recent polling shows ~50% of Americans will NEVER consider buying an EV. Another ~24% are "unlikely" to consider an EV for their next vehicle purchase. No matter how much promotion, media cheerleading, and government carrots and sticks rolled out, there is simply no way EV anything can match or beat what we already have with ICE propulsion. Nationwide grid is on borrowed time and can never be expanded and upgraded to fulfil all the promises being relentlessly pushed. Show me a proof of concept like converting the post office fleet to EV and provide unbiased or edited data of results - good and bad. Then let us decide for ourselves if it's viable.

Also, the polling and surveys I gave numbers on are easily searchable. I was going from memory, know it isn't far off actual publication.

Reactions: MJE

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Pisses me off how much Canada is pushing electric. We are giving VW 17 Billion dollars for a Battery plant with money we do not have. Now other corporations are looking for hand outs. Society is crumbling but we still give Corporations handouts. Where I live there is no room to charge many electric car's for 3 hours. The car parking is disappearing. Going electric is not thought through very well. Electric will test our infrastructure. Wearing our roads out quicker, stacked car parking lot's collapsing and on and on.

Sponsored

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Lexus RC 350, GMC Canyon Denali on order
Occupation
Seed potatoes
In all honesty, it’s a bit difficult to compare driving in North America to Europe and some other areas that EV are in demand. I can drive on an interstate for 10+ hours and still be in the state of North Carolina…. Driving for 10 hours in Europe, I’ve crossed 3-4 Countries!

Our culture is different here, and we are much more dependent on vehicles than other parts of the world. Eg - our mass transit systems don’t exist, or only exist in highly populated areas. Our food shopping is even different, many consumers make weekly, or bi-monthly, trips to the grocery stores vs going almost every day. (On average, our refrigerators are bigger, our homes are bigger, etc). And yes, on average our vehicles bigger.

Electric vehicles may work in densely populated urban areas, but that’s just not the majority of land areas that we have in North America.

Reactions: MJE

ssjx7squall

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Nobody would buy it in USA. Recent polling shows ~50% of Americans will NEVER consider buying an EV. Another ~24% are "unlikely" to consider an EV for their next vehicle purchase. No matter how much promotion, media cheerleading, and government carrots and sticks rolled out, there is simply no way EV anything can match or beat what we already have with ICE propulsion. Nationwide grid is on borrowed time and can never be expanded and upgraded to fulfil all the promises being relentlessly pushed. Show me a proof of concept like converting the post office fleet to EV and provide unbiased or edited data of results - good and bad. Then let us decide for ourselves if it's viable.

Also, the polling and surveys I gave numbers on are easily searchable. I was going from memory, know it isn't far off actual publication.

Trends are shifting on evs. Every year more and more consider it and as it becomes less political it will shift more

ssjx7squall

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
You won't have a choice in 10 years
Which doesn’t bother me but that’s also entirely dependent on state. I don’t see deep red states joining blue states for 20 years minimum. Many of the same arguments against electric are the same that were used against gas cars when they first came out. People and the world will adapt like we did then. Some places will take longer for infrastructure reasons and others will take longer because of obstinance.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Hydrogen makes more sense. We will see if the technology catches up.
Sponsored