• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Raptor Issue- Dealer sold underneath me

Eleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Wealth Management
Hey everyone, I'm new here on the forum. I'm reaching out because I've encountered an issue with a dealership and could use some advice. Back in November 2, 2023, I purchased a Ranger Raptor. I was allocated the vehicle, paid a $500 deposit, and received a buyer's order. However, recently I was informed that the vehicle was no longer allocated to me due to a mishap where it was sold to someone else by mistake.

Despite having made my initial deposit and signed a buyer's agreement, the dealership claimed they couldn't rectify the situation as the other buyer had put down a deposit as well. Feeling frustrated, I escalated the matter to the general manager but couldn't get in touch. Instead, I spoke with a sales manager who had initially agreed to the sale back in November.

The sales manager insisted they couldn't fix the situation, citing the other buyer's deposit. I suspected they might be trying to profit by selling the vehicle for more. When I complained formally to the dealership, they reached out again and offered me a second allocation of a Ranger Raptor 2024 at MSRP.

Now, I'm torn between pursuing the first Raptor, which is scheduled to be built by March 8 and has a VIN number, or accepting the second allocation, which isn't guaranteed and might come much later, possibly in 2025. The dealership assures me they'll honor the MSRP for the second allocation whenever it arrives, but I'm concerned they might sell it out from under me again. Any advice on what I should do?

PS: Reminds me of the hellcat situation where the dealer sold underneath them.
In the bottom row of the document it says this is not a contract for sale, but I do have another doc showing my card information where the deposit was taken out for an Order ID allocation as no vin was provided at the time.

Ford Ranger Ranger Raptor Issue- Dealer sold underneath me IMG_F44603B69E85-1
Sponsored

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Hey everyone, I'm new here on the forum. I'm reaching out because I've encountered an issue with a dealership and could use some advice. Back in November 2, 2023, I purchased a Ranger Raptor. I was allocated the vehicle, paid a $500 deposit, and received a buyer's order. However, recently I was informed that the vehicle was no longer allocated to me due to a mishap where it was sold to someone else by mistake.

Despite having made my initial deposit and signed a buyer's agreement, the dealership claimed they couldn't rectify the situation as the other buyer had put down a deposit as well. Feeling frustrated, I escalated the matter to the general manager but couldn't get in touch. Instead, I spoke with a sales manager who had initially agreed to the sale back in November.

The sales manager insisted they couldn't fix the situation, citing the other buyer's deposit. I suspected they might be trying to profit by selling the vehicle for more. When I complained formally to the dealership, they reached out again and offered me a second allocation of a Ranger Raptor 2024 at MSRP.

Now, I'm torn between pursuing the first Raptor, which is scheduled to be built by March 8 and has a VIN number, or accepting the second allocation, which isn't guaranteed and might come much later, possibly in 2025. The dealership assures me they'll honor the MSRP for the second allocation whenever it arrives, but I'm concerned they might sell it out from under me again. Any advice on what I should do?

PS: Reminds me of the hellcat situation where the dealer sold underneath them.
In the bottom row of the document it says this is not a contract for sale, but I do have another doc showing my card information where the deposit was taken out for an Order ID allocation as no vin was provided at the time.

IMG_F44603B69E85-1.jpeg
If you go for the second one get everything written down and signed by all parties involved.

coldconfession13

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford edge
Occupation
IT
I don't see how they can say the other person put a deposit. So did you so unless the other one was before yours they have no leg to stand on. But that is if they want to prove it to you. I would just take the second allocation and fight to pay less than msrp or go somewhere else. Shady dealsership there.

CherryCoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 ranger, 94explor, 16 Focus RS, 21 Bronco, 24 RR
Occupation
Drinking CherryCoke
Do we have a good/bad dealer list going here? Would be great to place this one on the bad list.

OP
OP
Eleven

Eleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Wealth Management
Do we have a good/bad dealer list going here? Would be great to place this one on the bad list.
Sadly I would agree with this, however Iā€˜m keeping my fingers crossed if that first buyer backs out I can get this allocation when its delivered. Iā€™m also wondering what the next steps should be as Ford Motor company customer service just places a dealer complaintā€¦ should I take a public approach and share with everybody my dealer experience or seek legal council?

Sponsored

RacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
The dealer story sounds like BS.
They can sell their car to whomever they want.

Most likely the guy they are giving that order to is a VIP customer at the dealer and/or offered more ADM.

Was the order a retail order in your name, or a stock order?

Ford put some pressure on dealers with early Broncos where no more than 20% of sold Broncos could go to a name different from the order without maybe Ford giving the dealer some allocation penalty.

The dealer screwed you over. There's nothing you can do but take your business elsewhere.
Well, there was some traction from the Bronco community by spamming Google Reviews with hundreds of poor reviews about the dealer scam. Some dealers backed down under the pressure.

Sorry this happened to you.

RacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
And to reiterate. You didn't purchase anything. Neither did the "other buyer".
Ford sells the vehicle to the dealer. Only then can the dealer sell the vehicle to the public.

All you did was have the dealer put in an order for a special build with Ford and gave the dealer a good faith deposit you'll purchase the vehicle.
Good faith deposit should only reflect the "sale-ability" of the special build. (I know it really doesn't anymore). e.g., if you order a yellow car with red interior, the dealer would want a huge non-refundable deposit because no one wants a yellow vehicle with red interior. They'd have to heavily discount it to move it off their lot.

amet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3 Comp xDrive
Unfortunately there are many sneaky dealerships. I recently got a text from a dealer in Connecticut saying their deal fell through. The selling price is $59,900 MSRP+$3,100 Markup. I see that you're from Texas, but if you or anybody who sees this is interested in possibly securing it here is window sticker.

Monaco Ford-Glastonbury CT
https://www.windowsticker.forddirec...htJ8tbtTOcFqu1inE+oJ8o+g2MdCMMmdOlibZoZyxtBc=

OP
OP
Eleven

Eleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Wealth Management
And to reiterate. You didn't purchase anything. Neither did the "other buyer".
Ford sells the vehicle to the dealer. Only then can the dealer sell the vehicle to the public.

All you did was have the dealer put in an order for a special build with Ford and gave the dealer a good faith deposit you'll purchase the vehicle.
Good faith deposit should only reflect the "sale-ability" of the special build. (I know it really doesn't anymore). e.g., if you order a yellow car with red interior, the dealer would want a huge non-refundable deposit because no one wants a yellow vehicle with red interior. They'd have to heavily discount it to move it off their lot.

Just received an update from my salesman, and it seems the plot thickens. I initially thought this was a dealer-built allocation, perfectly matching what I wanted. However, it turns out the allocation was built by a dealer employee who now wants to claim the vehicle for himself by putting down the deposit. As it happens, the other customer is also a dealer employee who received "grace" from upper management to take possession of this allocation from me.

I was advised since the employee initially created the order and even though he backed out he still has first priority of the vehicle.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received an update from my salesman, and it seems the plot thickens. I initially thought this was a dealer-built allocation, perfectly matching what I wanted. However, it turns out the allocation was built by a dealer employee who now wants to claim the vehicle for himself by putting down the deposit. As it happens, the other customer is also a dealer employee who received "grace" from upper management to take possession of this allocation from me.

I was advised since the employee initially created the order and even though he backed out he still has first priority of the vehicle.
I'd be leaving them a negative review with a good summary of the details on google if you think there's no way the situation will remedy. I don't think escalating via Ford will do anything...they probably care more about google reviews than any pushback from Ford TBH.

A google review might burn the bridge or they may see it as their cue to remedy the situation for you, so i'd only take that step if you're ready to be ghosted.

Sponsored

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
So whoā€™s order detail is the scheduled truck like? Iā€™M sure you didnā€™t both build the exact same.

RacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco

At least you know more. None of that prevents them from selling the Ranger to you.
I would have told my employee to go pound sand and hope you (the new prospect) back out of the deal somehow.

Your decision to accept the $5k savings and wait, or take your business elsewhere. It's a tough call with a limited model like a Raptor. No guarantee you'll get any better treatment at another dealer. Maybe you'll have some leverage with this one?

In your situation, I might keep the order with the dealer at MSRP and scour the internet for Raptor orders where the buyer backed out like the one posted above. Try to secure a second Raptor and take whichever one comes in first.

ivotuk

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
You're in a tough spot. I'd do 2 things,

1. Accept the 2nd allocation and order it just the way you want it, and make sure you have a sales contract along with an expected delivery date.

2. What I did was go on autotrader and cars dot come and do searches for Ranger Raptors. When I started there were only 30 - 40 Raptors available, now there are about 150. I contacted the dealers that didn't have exorbitant ADMs, and got wait listed on about 15 of them. 2 weeks later I got 4 emails offering me their allocation. I took the one that let me order it the way I wanted it (Vaughn Ford Oakdale, LA).

There will be allocations coming available from people that are tired of waiting, or won't pay a dime above MSRP.

So do both, and give yourself lots of options.

OP
OP
Eleven

Eleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Wealth Management
So whoā€™s order detail is the scheduled truck like? Iā€™M sure you didnā€™t both build the exact same.
We actually both built the same truck haha black Ranger Raptor, with decals, beadlock tires and spray in bed liner. So from my understanding itā€™s his name on the order but he backed out hence the dealer kept it as a dealer allocation, it just so happened I wanted the same thing and the dealer said they already ordered one exactly like that back in November. Didnā€™t know at the time it was a customer order ( Employee) who backed out of the deal and they got me in line for itā€¦. Now the employee wants the truck back and he get priority even after I was told this was my dealer allocation. Super confusing not sure if it makes senseā€¦ dealer now built a new allocation with my name on it and sent it to me which would be the second allocation I referenced.

Bash1990

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Software Developer
Honestly my biggest fear in this waiting game has been the thought of waiting over a year to buy a truck just to end up in a situation like yours.

I wish you the best and hope you get your truck. If they screw you, make sure to name them. Make it known that people should avoid their business.
Sponsored