• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger Raptor Review (False alarm its not NA)

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
  • Banned
This came up on my feed. Looks like its 11 days old but this is the first Ranger Raptor review video I have seen since the reveal

Sponsored

OP
OP

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
  • Banned
I say that then I watch the video and he says he's in England..... Welp... my bad

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I say that then I watch the video and he says he's in England..... Welp... my bad
You can always tell the European/UK videos because they have that black bar on the bed of the truck. US versions have a clean looking bed without anything coming off it.

OP
OP

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
  • Banned
You can always tell the European/UK videos because they have that black bar on the bed of the truck. US versions have a clean looking bed without anything coming off it.
I am noticing that now. I watched maybe the first 30 seconds before deciding to post. should have finished watching it first.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Sport bar! Not all overseas versions have it, it’s part of an upgrade package you can get that might also include a rolling shutter top depending on country.

Easiest ways to tell are the fender flare marker lights (NA only) and the third brake light (up on the cab in NA, above the tailgate handle on ROW). Also in most ROW markets the steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
This came up on my feed. Looks like its 11 days old but this is the first Ranger Raptor review video I have seen since the reveal

Thanks for posting this. O.K., it is the British version, but close enough to what we will get to be useful anyway. I like that, in addition to all the off-road features covered, the reviewer talked about the Raptor as a "daily driver," which is what many of us will actually use it for...

OP
OP

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
  • Banned
I use mine as a daily driver, what do you want to know?

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.27 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.28 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.28 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.28 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.28 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 12.12.25 PM (1).jpeg
First off, congratulations and how do you like it? Any regrets? How’s the mileage (or whatever metric you use). And what are your overall thoughts on it

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
First off, congratulations and how do you like it? Any regrets? How’s the mileage (or whatever metric you use). And what are your overall thoughts on it
I had a ranger back in 2000 and I loved it (it was called nitrous_ranger in the RPS forums), my father has a 2018 3.2 diesel and I liked it, so I ordered a 5g last year in september, but never arrived, it took so long that I got the 6g, I guess it was worth the wait.

I really like what they did on this generation with the interior and the features. Specially the suspension, adjustability in suspension, ride modes, exhaust loudness, 4x4 automatic traction, B&O sound system, safety stuff like LED matrix, radar, etc. My previous vehicle was a BMW X6 with the V8 biturbo engine, so the expectations were high. It is not as fast as the X6, but not bad at all, you will be able to outrun most vehicles around. As with any turbocharged engine, it responds well to a tune.

What I don't like is that it still has some SW issues to be resolved, sometimes you get error messages when there is no real issue. I have reported this to ford, but its not something that will disable the vehicle or anything like that, just anoying. The engine note is not awful, but does not sound like the V8 I had in the X6, it sounds like a 6 cyl BMW engine. I dont like the fact that all accessories need to be purchased in asia or europe, since Im in MX, it is not unmanageable dough, and surely after it launches in the US there will be plenty of stuff around. Ill visit SEMA in October, hofeully there will be goodies there.

Mileage is not one of the top features of this vehicle. Not that you will buy this truck to save fuel, but I think its worth mentioning. My daily drive has literally no traffic lights, its mostly highway but I have a heavy foot when accelerating so my mpg is not economy per se, but its much better thatn stop-and-go traffic mpg. First, I expected that comming from a V8 biturbo X6 7km/l average (16.4mpg) the raptor woult take less gas, I was wrong. The first couple of weeks reading average was 3.5km/l (8.2mpg), I asked the dealer and he suggested to reset the mpg counter, so I did and after a few weeks it came up to 5.3 km/l (12.4 mpg). Up to this point I used the truck in 4A mode, I then switched it to 2H and it jumped up to 5.6 km/l (13.1 mpg). About a month ago I finally received my elecric roller cover and after installation the fuel economy went up to 6.2km/l (14.5 mpg). So, despite having a 10-speed transmission and the fact the the engine usually goes at around 2-3k RPM the aerodynamics are not so good because the truck is lifted and the nose is pretty much flat, so don't expect good mileage on it. At times when you are cruising you can get up to 10 km/l (23mpg) at 60-70 mph, but you need to be barely touching the pedal, any situation will take you down on the economy reading, thats why the average is so low.

I hope the info helps

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mileage is not one of the top features of this vehicle. Not that you will buy this truck to save fuel, but I think its worth mentioning. My daily drive has literally no traffic lights, its mostly highway but I have a heavy foot when accelerating so my mpg is not economy per se, but its much better thatn stop-and-go traffic mpg. First, I expected that comming from a V8 biturbo X6 7km/l average (16.4mpg) the raptor woult take less gas, I was wrong. The first couple of weeks reading average was 3.5km/l (8.2mpg), I asked the dealer and he suggested to reset the mpg counter, so I did and after a few weeks it came up to 5.3 km/l (12.4 mpg). Up to this point I used the truck in 4A mode, I then switched it to 2H and it jumped up to 5.6 km/l (13.1 mpg). About a month ago I finally received my elecric roller cover and after installation the fuel economy went up to 6.2km/l (14.5 mpg). So, despite having a 10-speed transmission and the fact the the engine usually goes at around 2-3k RPM the aerodynamics are not so good because the truck is lifted and the nose is pretty much flat, so don't expect good mileage on it. At times when you are cruising you can get up to 10 km/l (23mpg) at 60-70 mph, but you need to be barely touching the pedal, any situation will take you down on the economy reading, thats why the average is so low.
That seems crazy low. I would have expected an overall average of 18-19 mpg. Even the full-size Raptor gets a combined of 15 mpg. I'm still planning on buying one but if the mpg is consistently below 17 mpg, I'll probably sell it and get a TRD Pro hybrid.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
I had a ranger back in 2000 and I loved it (it was called nitrous_ranger in the RPS forums), my father has a 2018 3.2 diesel and I liked it, so I ordered a 5g last year in september, but never arrived, it took so long that I got the 6g, I guess it was worth the wait.

I really like what they did on this generation with the interior and the features. Specially the suspension, adjustability in suspension, ride modes, exhaust loudness, 4x4 automatic traction, B&O sound system, safety stuff like LED matrix, radar, etc. My previous vehicle was a BMW X6 with the V8 biturbo engine, so the expectations were high. It is not as fast as the X6, but not bad at all, you will be able to outrun most vehicles around. As with any turbocharged engine, it responds well to a tune.

What I don't like is that it still has some SW issues to be resolved, sometimes you get error messages when there is no real issue. I have reported this to ford, but its not something that will disable the vehicle or anything like that, just anoying. The engine note is not awful, but does not sound like the V8 I had in the X6, it sounds like a 6 cyl BMW engine. I dont like the fact that all accessories need to be purchased in asia or europe, since Im in MX, it is not unmanageable dough, and surely after it launches in the US there will be plenty of stuff around. Ill visit SEMA in October, hofeully there will be goodies there.

I hope the info helps

Thank you for the review! I live right on the border on the US side and was lucky enough to see a wild track. it was a bit bigger than I imagined.

Interesting to hear about the software issues, I guess it is a good thing they are doing over the air software updates. Milage is better than I expected honestly.

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
That seems crazy low. I would have expected an overall average of 18-19 mpg. Even the full-size Raptor gets a combined of 15 mpg. I'm still planning on buying one but if the mpg is consistently below 17 mpg, I'll probably sell it and get a TRD Pro hybrid.
I saw the new TRD reviews, it looks cool but there are 2 things I dont like from it : 1) where I live, there is almost never available stock and you have to wait for months to get one, and 2) even the 4 cyl hybrid combined has around 100HP less than the ranger raptor.

maybe someone with a lighter foot can surely get more mpg than me. hehehe

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
Thank you for the review! I live right on the border on the US side and was lucky enough to see a wild track. it was a bit bigger than I imagined.

Interesting to hear about the software issues, I guess it is a good thing they are doing over the air software updates. Milage is better than I expected honestly.
yes, the truck is slightly larger in dimensions that the previous gen because its boxier and the look resembles that of the f150, this and the lift from the factory makes it visually to look larger

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw the new TRD reviews, it looks cool but there are 2 things I dont like from it : 1) where I live, there is almost never available stock and you have to wait for months to get one, and 2) even the 4 cyl hybrid combined has around 100HP less than the ranger raptor.

maybe someone with a lighter foot can surely get more mpg than me. hehehe
Unfortunately, it's not just the TRD Pros with the stock problem. I think the RRaptors will have a much larger stock problem in the long run.

You are correct on the HP but it does have more torque than even the Raptor. I think it will feel plenty punchy for a truck. I really wish we lived in a normal world again where every one of these trucks was available on a lot somewhere and I could test drive them all before making a decision.

Reactions: Jab

Ivan Baez

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger raptor
Occupation
Harman
Unfortunately, it's not just the TRD Pros with the stock problem. I think the RRaptors will have a much larger stock problem in the long run.

You are correct on the HP but it does have more torque than even the Raptor. I think it will feel plenty punchy for a truck. I really wish we lived in a normal world again where every one of these trucks was available on a lot somewhere and I could test drive them all before making a decision.
I agree that the toyota TRDs had a good V6 + tranmission combination, they felt good and light when steping on the pedal. I don't know how the 4 cyl hybrid will feel since I haven't driven one. The racing seats look awesome, the rest of the truck im not really excited about. In MX the toyota dealers never have tacoma stock, I tried to buy one of those twice in different years and it was always a minimum 4 months waiting list and they would try to convce you to get a hilux instead :(. The first time we ended up buying a frontier pro4x and the second time a ranger diesel. Im sure they assign more stock to the US market than what the do in MX.

One thing that can boost up tacomas production is that they recently opened a Tacoma factory in MX, hopefully this helps improve availability overall for the NA region.
Sponsored