Sponsored

Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger

Thrasher88

New Member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
15
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Bought a maverick awd 4k towing ecoboost a few months back, I’ve been working the fire out of that little truck, but the lack of ground clearance and actual 4wd are starting to bother me, I got the truck at a good deal and I’m getting decent enough offers on trades that I’m considering trading for a new ranger. My wife has a full-size bronco actually on her 2nd one, and I’m thinking the ranger will fit what I use a truck for better, the 30+ mpg on the highway of the maverick is nice

Ford Ranger Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger IMG_4468


Ford Ranger Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger IMG_4726


Ford Ranger Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger IMG_4633


Ford Ranger Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger IMG_4599
Sponsored

 

bgn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
110
Reaction score
178
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
As a former Maverick owner, the Maverick is truck enough until it isn't. I needed more clearance and 4x4 for my camping trips in the Cascades. Between the high Maverick prices and Rangers sitting on lots, I made the jump.
Ford Ranger Thinking about trading Maverick for a Ranger PXL_20260625_014031159
 
OP
OP

Thrasher88

New Member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
15
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
maverick
As a former Maverick owner, the Maverick is truck enough until it isn't. I needed more clearance and 4x4 for my camping trips in the Cascades. Between the high Maverick prices and Rangers sitting on lots, I made the jump.
PXL_20260625_014031159.webp
The maverick has impressed me but I miss being able to really go off-road, and I think the extra towing capacity would be nice.
 

NM Mike

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
358
Reaction score
621
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
25 Ranger XLT FX4. 99 Superduty XLT Powerstroke 4X4, 71 F250 custom 4x4
I could have used the mpg of the maverick for my daily driving needs, but it wasn’t truck enough to meet my off road needs. A maverick won’t get me into elk country and back. That’s why I opted for the ranger.
 

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
139
Reaction score
209
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I bought a Maverick in June of 2025 as a second vehicle. I also had an Audi Q3. When I realized that I was no longer driving the Audi, I sold it and the Maverick became my primary vehicle. That's when I decided the Maverick was too small and I wanted the additional features that came with the Lariat. June of 2026, I traded for a Ranger and couldn't be happier (so far).
 

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thrasher88

New Member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
4
Reaction score
15
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
maverick
I bought a Maverick in June of 2025 as a second vehicle. I also had an Audi Q3. When I realized that I was no longer driving the Audi, I sold it and the Maverick became my primary vehicle. That's when I decided the Maverick was too small and I wanted the additional features that came with the Lariat. June of 2026, I traded for a Ranger and couldn't be happier (so far).
im looking @ going from an xlt down to a xl, but the manual seats aren’t a big deal to me really.
 

Onceaneagle

Well-Known Member
First Name
Walter
Joined
Aug 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
649
Reaction score
827
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
US Army Retired
I test drove Maverick Lariat when moving down from the F150 Lariat. The Allison engine has great MPG and is good for city commuters, not great for rural living or off roading. The Maverick Lariat also has many "left outs" compared to Ranger Lariat. Had a 1996 Ranger STX, then a 2003 Ranger Edge so I decided to look at current models and bought one. Would have gone with a Ranger Raptor but Ruby Red is not available. My 2025 Ranger Lariat is larger and roomier than my other Rangers and with the 2.7L and 4x4 has lots of power. At 4,600 miles, it gets 22.3 MPG, and is going up. Like it so much I might add another one when the 2027 Tremor comes out. Checked with my dealer a couple days ago and Ford has not yet sent them Ranger order bank information or package details other than there is going to be a Tremor.
 

Jasonkflo

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Mar 31, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
97
Reaction score
86
Location
Boise Idaho
Vehicle(s)
25 ranger
Occupation
sales
I had a 24 Maverick 2.0 Ecoboost.
It was fun around town. I bought it for a great price and got what i paid on trade in plus bought a 25 xlt 2.7 fx4 for 37,800
The Maverick had enough space for me and was great in town but not enough off road capability for Idaho. The 2.0 Maverick is every bit as quick as the 2.7 Ranger though
 

mrmike7189

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 23, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
299
Reaction score
351
Location
MA
Vehicle(s)
2024 ranger STX 4x4
5 reasons why I decided NOT to buy a Maverick.

1. ground clearance is too low
2. The bed is shorter than a Ranger
3. all wheel drive is good....until you drive off road and need a real 4 wheel drive.
4. Towing capacity is weak (Ranger can tow up to 7500 lbs.)
5. Made in Mexico🇲🇽 Ranger built in the USA:flag:
 
Last edited:

Sponsored

josephp732

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Jun 21, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
250
Reaction score
389
Location
NJ & FL
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7l EB / 2021 4Runner TRD ORP
You really worked the heck out of the Maverick! Technically, you already have a Ranger - it just has a back seat. Though a Ranger will be more comfortable and quiet than your wife's Bronco.
 

Onceaneagle

Well-Known Member
First Name
Walter
Joined
Aug 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
649
Reaction score
827
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
US Army Retired
5 reasons why I decided NOT to buy a Maverick.

1. ground clearance is too low
2. The bed is 1 1/2 feet shorter than a Ranger
3. all wheel drive is good....until you drive off road and need a real 4 wheel drive.
4. Towing capacity is weak (Ranger can tow up to 7500 lbs.)
5. Made in Mexico🇲🇽 Ranger built in the USA:flag:
And it is not a body on frame truck. It is an urban utility vehicle built on a Ford Escape unibody. Works for some city dwellers. To me, looks cheap with the Navy pier recycled plastic bottle interior and Active-X vinyl seats, and 45 NHTSA recalls 22-26 MY, some critical. Same engine options regardless of trim level. And some dealers were charging $10K ADM over MSRP, for the 2.5L hybrid engine.
 

bgn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
110
Reaction score
178
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
And it is not a body on frame truck. It is an urban utility vehicle built on a Ford Escape unibody. Works for some city dwellers. To me, looks cheap with the Navy pier recycled plastic bottle interior and Active-X vinyl seats, and 45 NHTSA recalls 22-26 MY, some critical. Same engine options regardless of trim level. And some dealers were charging $10K ADM over MSRP, for the 2.5L hybrid engine.
The interior quality is one of the reasons I sold it. It's simply abysmal. Easily scratched plastics, rattles, squeaks, etc. It's unfortunate that at Ford, compact means poor(er) quality, even at 40k.
 

surfstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
104
Reaction score
163
Location
CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Lariat 2.3 FX4
5 reasons why I decided NOT to buy a Maverick.

1. ground clearance is too low
2. The bed is 1 1/2 feet shorter than a Ranger
3. all wheel drive is good....until you drive off road and need a real 4 wheel drive.
4. Towing capacity is weak (Ranger can tow up to 7500 lbs.)
5. Made in Mexico🇲🇽 Ranger built in the USA:flag:
#2 - don't carry the 1

2024+ Rangers get a 5' bed only; all Mavs are 4.5'.


I'm getting 72% worse MPG than my FWD hybrid Mav; but at least gas prices have gone up enough to make it an even 2x expensive to fuel each month
:-/
Other than that, the Ranger wins.
 

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,035
Reaction score
3,902
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
The ranger rides nicer and is quieter when I compared a maverick to a ranger stx in 2024. I was dead set in a maverick but they were on a stop sale so the salesman asked if I wanted to drive a ranger.


I bought the ranger the first day I test drove one. I had never sat in one before and I had driven about 10 Mavericks.

I still would like a maverick but I am not going to get rid of my ranger to get one and I don't need another vehicle in the driveway. My wife and I have 3 vehicles currently so 4 is double unneeded and we will have 2 vehicles sitting around most of the time
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top