Sponsored

Three Rangers at the gas station.


Sponsored

OxygenMask

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 20, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
899
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired
There's an old guy (older than me!) down the street who has an early Ranger (1994ish?) and a 74 Trans Am that both look Barrett Jackson quality.
Neither are restored. He bought both of them new and took incredible care of them!
 

artvarck

Well-Known Member
First Name
Art
Joined
Jun 6, 2026
Threads
6
Messages
75
Reaction score
96
Location
CO
Vehicle(s)
2025 XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired (FIRE)
From time to time I’ve found myself wondering what current owners of older rangers think of our 6g’s. Do they like what they see? Or do they cast disapproving glances in our direction because “they don’t make them like they used to”.
I’ve owned an ‘83, ‘85 and ‘99, and the only thing better about early Rangers was the availability of a 7’ bed, as my ‘99 was equipped with.
Edit: all were MT, and I do miss that too.

Ford Ranger Three Rangers at the gas station. 1791418510367-vs
 
Last edited:

Rangerous44

Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
9
Reaction score
5
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 2.7L
The only thing I missed from my '02 if the 6ft bed. I drove an '02 for 20 years before buying my '25 in May last year and at 30k miles the only issue I've had is the transmission learning routine. The '02 ended up having tons of issues in the 100-150k mile range that I worked through mostly by myself. If the '25 ends up having the same issues I would change my mind, but it's too early to tell. It was an incredibly low cost vehicle but after a couple decades I needed something reliable, efficient, powerful, safe.

That being said, new vehicles are not comparable to old ones. I am comfortable knowing I - and more importantly my passengers - am significantly safer in a 6g Ranger than my old Danger Ranger.
 

OxygenMask

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 20, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
899
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I’ve owned an ‘83, ‘85 and ‘99, and the only thing better about early Rangers was the availability of a 7’ bed, as my ‘99 was equipped with.

1791418510367-vs.webp
My 85 4Runner was a wonderful rig. So many great memories. I miss it sometimes.
I recently drove an early 90s Yota. Gawd. It was awful.
No Way I could EVER be happy with 119hp again....
And the full 4dr cab stoopid short bed is not useful to me, even in a full size truck.
I wish they still made a basic extended cab long bed manual transmission small truck. But with the current 2.3... :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:

25Dsand

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jun 12, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
92
Reaction score
71
Location
Sioux falls
Vehicle(s)
2025 ranger raptor
Occupation
usps
If I had the money I would pick up an old ranger and turn it into a Raptor version. Give it a wide body and the same motor but I would lower it and make it more of a street truck.. ahhh man that would be so sick!! kinda like a light Baja wide kit with a small wing off the bed lowered all wheel drive and 500-600HP I can only dream
 

Sponsored

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,035
Reaction score
3,906
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
From time to time I’ve found myself wondering what current owners of older rangers think of our 6g’s. Do they like what they see? Or do they cast disapproving glances in our direction because “they don’t make them like they used to”.
I had my 04 ranger and my 24 ranger at the same time. I love the 24 and really liked the 04 but they were totally different. One was a v6 and five speed totally base single cab amd the other is like driving a Cadillac and so comfortable and quiet.
 

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,035
Reaction score
3,906
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
If I had the money I would pick up an old ranger and turn it into a Raptor version. Give it a wide body and the same motor but I would lower it and make it more of a street truck.. ahhh man that would be so sick!! kinda like a light Baja wide kit with a small wing off the bed lowered all wheel drive and 500-600HP I can only dream
I was doing a sport truck for my 04 ranger. It was a 2wd, stepside, v6, 5 speed single cab so it was basically already a street truck so I just lowered it 5 inches. It was so much fun
 

OxygenMask

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 20, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
899
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired

alloyz250

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
53
Reaction score
41
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT FX4
My 85 4Runner was a wonderful rig. So many great memories. I miss it sometimes.
I recently drove an early 90s Yota. Gawd. It was awful.
No Way I could EVER be happy with 119hp again....
And the full 4dr cab stoopid short bed is not useful to me, even in a full size truck.
I wish they still made a basic extended cab long bed manual transmission small truck. But with the current 2.3... :thumbsup:
Loved my 1985 Toyota truck... last of the solid front axles. However, like you mentioned, there is no comparison of any truck built before 2018-2020 and those built after
 

Patriot1

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Aug 5, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
46
Reaction score
49
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
25 R/Raptor, 21 F350 Ford Tremor, 20 Tundra Trd Pro, 04 Ford 4.0 V6 4x4
Occupation
Retired
A cool sighting!! We still have our 22 yr old 2004 4x4 4.0 V6 Ranger “EDGE“ gifted to us by my FIL. It just rolled over 76k. He bought it new off the showroom floor in Vinton, Va. It’s a great grocery getter, Lowe’s truck and hunting truck. Just a rock solid truck. I found the LEER topper on FB marketplace for $350. I had it painted Sonic blue. A keeper.

Ford Ranger Three Rangers at the gas station. IMG_6213



Ford Ranger Three Rangers at the gas station. IMG_6214
Sponsored

 
 







Top